Favorite cable manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiorocks, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I've done this too. RG6 is very well shielded. I just wonder: have you tried anything for strain relief? It's pretty damn stiff cable. I wonder if it could break the jack it's connected to.

2. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I haven't had a problem yet with stiffness. I would hope that my stereo components are built strong enough to resist a little strain, but if not then I guess the joke will be on me. I'm reasonably sure it's fine, though. :)

3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i use audioquest and their lower end cables for connections

4. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

Audioquest Columbia for me...very nice high quality cables. There is a line in the sand with cables regarding diminishing returns for your investment and this is about the top of the line for me.

mcd4959 likes this.
  5. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Auditorium 23 for me. Just purchased some interconnects to go along with my speaker cables.

Tlay likes this.
  6. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

what he said...

7. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Easy.

ZenWave Audio: insanely high-end cables at half the price of their nearest competitor. Be careful, if you demo his line you must be prepared to ignore your self-imposed budget ;-)

@DaveC113

8. Audio Art Cables (developed with assistance from DH Labs) Very nice "transparent" sound that adds very little coloration. Their entry level stuff is very good and an absolute steal, or you can spend more for their higher end cables that sound even better. (still a bargain as these compete favorably with the really expensive stuff) The materials used are of premium quality and the fit and finish is superb. You can buy Audio Art products factory direct, so there is no mark up by dealers or middle men. The quality is excellent without the extreme high price or "Voodoo Magic" claimed by some others. Great bang for the buck, great sound, great customer service and great people to do business with.

Example: My friend Rick needed a phono cable for his newly purchased Graham tonearm. I knew Audio Art does not have phono cables on the market, but I suggested that Rick call Audio Art owner Rob Fritz and get his opinion on what would be some good ones to consider. I said. "Rob doesn't sell them, but he knows a lot about this sort of thing and he will steer you in the right direction. He is a great guy". Long story short, Rick called him the next day. Rob mentioned that he had previously made some up for friends who really loved them, and he would make Rick a pair to try if he wished. After agreeing on a price, Rick decided to try a pair as the price seemed really fair. After speaking with Rick for a while longer on the phone, Mr. Fritz lowered the previously agreed price even more--- in my opinion "just because they struck up a friendship over the phone". Rob has done the same thing with me before also. I would not continue to buy Audio Art Cables if I didn't believe that they were one of the best deals out there and great sounding. The fact that the owner is such a cool guy is just icing on the cake.

cmndrums likes this.
  9. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Nordost. I think they look cool and people always ask 'what are those things.?

Linto likes this.
  10. beppe

beppe Forum Resident

All Nordost (flat Red Dawn &blue heaven). Transparent and fast to my hears

11. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Van den Hul for the history and the skill of the man
    Townshend for the lovely Sue
    Nordost because they look cool.

I use all three in my main loom, the sound is just right.
    Detailed, neutral, nothing added, nothing taken away.

beppe likes this.
  12. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

!!!
    I honestly only read this after my post

brew ziggins likes this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

PS Audio: PerfectWave power cords (in my main system I use all AC-12, in another system 2 AC-10s and an AC-5). Dynamic, clear, open.

Went through a few brands and models and finally found the best match for these as far as interconnects go: VooDoo Cable. I use Stradivarius Cremona and the initial version of Stradivarius, as well as an UltraLinear, in my main system. I use Evolution in two other systems. Dynamic, clear, open.

14. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

Agree on the AQ Columbias. Very pleased with them, having tried multiple other brands. Discontinued now so great deals available (Still expensive, but 40% less than original cost is hard to beat).

YMMV, of course.

15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

16. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

17. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

Home Depot speaker wire: They're cheaper than dirt. Literally. You really can't buy a bag of dirt at Home Depot for the price of their speaker cable.

It's my number one choice for all early-stage diy efforts, garage sale junkers, and back yard speakers. It's perfect to hook up that old Marantz or NAD in a second system. I probably have more Home Depot speaker cable than anything else.

It helps that a few hundred yards of it costs less than one decent interconnect.

erniebert likes this.
  18. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

I wonder if this would be a good place to admit that my next speaker cable purchase is going to be based almost entirely on how cool the cables look.

mcd4959 and kfringe like this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Sure, it's safe in this thread . . . so far. . . ;)

20. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

synergistic research

21. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Mogami, Canare and Belden (three of only a relative few operations that actually MANUFACTURE wire and cable from raw materials)
    That is, actually draw wire
    Not into paying for re-packaging, "branding" and termination

chervokas likes this.
  22. mds

mds Forum Resident

Van Den Hul - low resistance, neutral, and well built. Have owned for years and they look and perform great in all my various equipment configurations.

23. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Analysis Plus...

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Black Cat Lectraline
    Shunyata Research

ellingtonic likes this.
  25. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

Cardas Neutral Reference phono cable, Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference Series ll,
    JPS Superconductor FX, Black Cat Lectraline Micro, Stereovox XV2 digital cable..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.