Favorite Christian musicians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DEG, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Bono...Elvis...Johnny Cash...Dylan

Mr Sam and keyse1 like this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, the Denny Correll who became a CCM star was the lead vocalist in Blues Image for a while.

3. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Rich Mullins.

4. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

Spend time with Palestrina and Bach, and most of today's stuff will sound shallow and derivative.

Folknik likes this.
  5. Palestrina and Bach are certainly worth spending time with but I don't agree with the second part of your sentence.

6. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

I said "most" not "all." What do you regard as a good example of today's Christian music that isn't shallow and derivative?

7. BradOlson

Aside from best of comps, THE best places to start appreciating Michael Card's talent is to seek out the "Legacy" and "First Light" albums. On CD, there is a 1988 twofer CD that is well mastered although the first half a second of "I Have Decided" is missing, and separate CDs issued later on and in the case of the standalone "I Have Decided," the missing half a second of I Have Decided has been restored (the Signature Series compilation on him also restores the missing half a second in the beginning of "I Have Decided" and this compilation can be found on Amazon Marketplace for cheap used and is the better option for those who have the twofer and want the restored "I Have Decided" on CD, or you can just download the "Signature Series" copy of I Have Decided at the download retailers). "Legacy" includes his original "El Shaddai" and "First Light" is the album that has his "I Have Decided," both which have been recorded by Amy Grant on her "Age To Age" album.

8. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Brook Fraser, who wrote Lord of Lords (Hillsong), is great. I believe Michelle Willis who sings/plays keyboard on the recent David Crosby tour has a christian background.

9. BradOlson

Her Albertine album was a huge hit on CCM radio when that came out.

10. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

I love BRUCE COCKBURN...
    he lives what he believes.

one of the all time great songwriters
    and a hell of a guitarist!

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Does Bob still consider himself a Christian, or did the Slow Train reverse itself?

12. BradOlson

I think that the Slow Train did reverse itself.

13. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

I've heard no indication that he's not a believer anymore....
    I can understand how he would just "shut up" now because of all the bad press ganging up on him every time he opened his mouth.

In the early 80's when he was seen in Israel and everyone thought he had abandoned Christianity, wasn't he just there for his son's barmitzvah and to reconnect with his Jewish roots?

There is plenty of Christian imagery still in his songwriting. ....as well as his live shows

Folknik and BradOlson like this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

since when is Bob Dylan intimated by bad press? Or even influenced by good press? And who's ganging up on him? If anything, aside from occasional jokey reviews for things like his Xmas album, he's been enjoying a very indulgent press.

15. frostyplan

frostyplan New Member

What about Indie Artist, Kathy Veer?
    Home Page of Offial Website

16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Emmons Sisters

17. NYGiordano

NYGiordano Forum Resident

Evie Tornquist,the 70's Gospel singer,made two of the best gospel albums ever recorded: Her first two albums EVIE and EVIE AGAIN. Released in 1974 & 1975 on the Word label-these two albums are a treasure trove of hymns & gospel classics done in a variety of styles: jazz,blues,soul & pop.

Her 1977 Christmas album "Come On Ring Those Bells" deserves an honorable mention,also. One of the best Christmas albums ever made.

18. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

We had the EVIE album at home when I grew up. Not sure where it ended up.

19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Ray Boltz and 80s Petra

Secular Christian, no one beats Elvis

20. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

But sinners
    In need of salvation

21. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Absolutely the BEST of the BEST!
    Here is one more from their vast group!!

Down to the River to Pray [Live]

22. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Let me give you something to listen to!

Down to the River to Pray [Live]

dclovell likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hank Marvin
    Roger McGuinn
    Bob Dylan

24. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Ones who I don't know their religious persuasion

Jeff Minn and Gavinyl like this.
  25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Some of his interviews and some of his song lyrics indicate that he still embraces his Judaeo-Christian commitment. When an interviewer said to him of his rendition of "O Little Town of Bethlehem" that he sang it "like a true believer", Dylan replied "I AM a true believer." He tends to avoid words like "Christian" and "born again" due to the tiresome questions they raise. As for those who claim that he abandoned Christianity and returned to Judaism, what they don't understand is that when he became a Christian, he never stopped being a Jew, since Christianity is built on a bedrock of Judaism. His commitment to Christianity seemed to lead him to be a more observant Jew. There are those who profess to be Jewish Buddhists or even Jewish atheists, so why is "Jewish Christian" such a stretch? Only Dylan knows for sure, but that's my take on it.

dclovell and Chazzbo13 like this.