Favorite Classic Jazz Guitarist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MagicAlex, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus Thread Starter

He's in there now...still had editing rights...

2. MagicAlex

He's been added. I liked his work on Chick Corea's Blue Note album 'Now He Sings, Now He Sobs'. :cool:

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

How about Trey Henry- Phil Norman Tenet, Bob Florence, to name a few groups he's associated with.

4. When I worked in rock FM radio, we were required by the CRTC to do other things besides play album rock. Our station had 2, two hour jazz shows and one two hour blues program weekly. The shows were local to 92 CITI-FM in Winnipeg, (syndicated to CFOX-FM in Vancouver) and were hosted by Ross Porter of CBC Radio 2 "After Hours" fame.
    http://www.cbc.ca/onair/personalities/radio2/porter.html
    http://cbc.ca/afterhours/

I used to be Ross's recording technician for the shows. Some of my jazz and blues influences come from "Rosco". We worked on "Jazz Plus" and "Night Blues" from 1980 to 1983. Ross played most of the guitarists on the list, on Jazz Plus and if memory serves me well, he had a slight preference for Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, and Joe Pass.

I pick Wes Montgomery based on memory of twenty years ago. Jazz is the weakest part of my music collection. I only have about 50 titles, in amongst my 2500-3000 or so LPs and CDs. The only jazz guitarists I have are Django, John Mclaughlin, and newer guys like Pat Metheny, and Ralph Towner.

Somebody gave me a copy of John McLauglin's "Devotion" when it came out. I was 14. It blew me away. Is the current CD version good?

5. MagicAlex

Trey Henry I have not heard of...Bob Florence I have...what has Bob been involved with?

6. MagicAlex

I've not heard much John McLaughlin. I do have 'Extrapolation' from 1969 and it's pretty good.

7. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

He is involved heavily in the LA studio work, but he is one of the top jazz bassists in LA. He does play in Bob Florence's Limited Edition Big Band. there's a trombonist, Bob McChesney, who Trey played bass on his CD "Plays the Music of Steve Allen" (highly recommended! I'll PM you later about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.