Favorite Def Leppard album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedBarchetta, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

First one; don't care for the rest (yes, that includes High 'n' Dry)

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

pyromania

Tree of Life likes this.
  3. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

One of the few soundtracks when I/we were partying during those days as teenagers. Pyromania by far for me. I also had their earlier albums which were just great and we listened to them for hours!! Pyro brought everything to another massive level...

Also, I believe they were all teenagers themselves, literally, when the first album came out. Amazing band!

Spastica likes this.
  4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Pyromania has bad sound? I always that was one of the best sounding rock albums. It has the perfect amount of rawness and a hint of the polish to come.

That being said, High and Dry is my favorite. With Pyromania and On Though The Night right behind it.

5. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Exactly. Pyromania is perfect IMO because of the way it blends the earlier harder stuff with the top 40 sensibilities of Hysteria but without going full on pop the way Hysteria got in spots.

6. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

I absolutely know what you mean and I agree. I guess you talk about the feel of the production in order to achieve something unique somehow - I know that Def Leppard were musical foreriders for a whole scene with that album - productionwise!
    No, I just meant the sonics of the recording, its fidelity. I think it's pretty compressed and noisy.
    I don't know where I read it, but I remember (maybe) Phil Collen talking about how they so often re-used and overdubbed the same tapes over and over again (or squeezing the hell out of the 4 track tapes, not sure, I'm no engineer:hide:) for the album that even the demos sounded better, because those were more separated.

Tree of Life likes this.
  7. Pyromania
    High n Dry
    Hysteria
    Euphoria

Tree of Life likes this.
  8. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Pyromania, as others have said, is the perfect amalgamation of glossy pop and hard rock.

Over the years I still don't fully understand the admiration for Hysteria. Neither I nor any of my friends were impressed with it when it was released and my view of it hasn't changed since even though we caught them at the Garden for the tour. After that, however, I hopped off the Def Leppard bus.

My second favorite is HnD.

cageyc, Complier and Tree of Life like this.
  9. Pyromania

Tree of Life likes this.
  10. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Both High N Dry and Pyromania are great albums. Hysteria also has some great hooks but tries a little too hard for the radio/mtv bait.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    J_D__ and Tree of Life like this.
  11. Tie between "On Through The Night" and "High N' Dry" but I went with the latter, on the grounds of production, and the fact that the songs are a bit stronger in my view.

Love both albums a ton though.

Tree of Life likes this.
  12. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

High N Dry. "Lady Strange" is my quintessential Def Leppard song.

Bernard hansen and Tree of Life like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

either slang or hysteria

Stormrider77 and Tree of Life like this.
  14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

High N Dry and not close for me.

J_D__ and Tree of Life like this.
  15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Interesting. I like OTTN, but think HND is a huge step forward. I'm wondering what you don't like about it? I loved the vinyl of this one. It rocks more than any other Leppard. My opinion of course.........:D

16. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Pyromania by a hair over Hysteria. A bit more quality to offset the quantity of good songs.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Just never really listened to it that much. Nothing more to it than that.

18. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

My absolute favorite Def Leppard albums are High n Dry & Hysteria. But, I'll be damned if I can't get away from their newest album!!

Tree of Life likes this.
  19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

You should take another listen my friend. I think it still holds up very well today. It is still one of my favorite rock n roll albums by anyone. I just still have a hard time with Pyromania because of the MTV glut of the album. I never disliked it. I just thought HND rocked so much more.

Tree of Life likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Too much KISS homework these days ;). No, I'll check it out again; as I said it's been years.

Tree of Life and Todd W. like this.
  21. I would definitely agree. High N' Dry was their most complete album in my view, and the one that represents, again in my view, the truest personality of the band, and the first moment they solidified their potential musically.

I have a sort of ridiculous but interesting 'what if' that runs through my mind sometimes, and has for years.

I wonder what if Pete Willis hadn't gotten booted, then somehow they wound up adding Phil Collen for a three guitar barrage, then expanding on High N' Dry's motif with an ever so slightly less commercial sheen.

Just my own musings, but after listening to both OTTN and HND again last night, I really think HND is the best.

Todd W. likes this.
  22. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Yea, I've been reading...........:righton:

Tree of Life and GodShifter like this.
  23. clayton

clayton Senior Member

High'n'dry followed by On Through The Night, IMO starting with Pyromania the songs took a back seat to the production and were more pop orientated particulary on Hysteria

Bernard hansen likes this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love this album to.

[​IMG]

YarRevenge and Tree of Life like this.
  25. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

And I thought we had a Bro Romance! :laugh:

Seriously though, do a Leppard song by song thread, listen to them, give you opinion.....errr humble opinion that is!!

I'm a Huge Leppard & KISS fan among others so I'll play along.

There's something about every Leppard Album I like except "Sparkle Lounge" which I cannot get into at all. That being said my Favorite is:

PYROMANIA: ALL KILLER, NO FILLER!

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.