Favorite Documentaries from 1930-70s

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MortSahlFan, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Non-music.

I love looking at them comparatively, just look I can't wait to see what they say about this decade 30 years from now (if I'm still here).. Doesn't matter the country, either - I love to get as many different ones as possible.

-Place De la Republique
    -Chronicles of a Summer
    -Seven-Up
    -Salesman
    -Le Joli Mai

2. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Titicut Follies

MortSahlFan likes this.
  3. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

"An American Family" followed the various members of the Loud family with video cameras trying to unobtrusively record as much of their day to day activities in 1971 Santa Barbara, CA as they could. The 12 episodes were shown starting in January 1973, and were edited down from about 300 hours of raw footage taken May to December 1971. The documentary gives a nice glimpse into the styles, attitudes and general feel of that time, at least in comparatively affluent Santa Barbara.

[​IMG]

audiomixer, Alert, snowman872 and 4 others like this.
  4. MortSahlFan

I forgot to mention that -- great one, thanks! I liked Wiseman's "High School", too, which was made after that one.

5. MortSahlFan

I found this site - An American Family - -- some episodes are 9 mins, some are longer.. Thanks! It sounds like something I'd love.

6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Grey Gardens
    F for Fake
    The War Game
    Culloden
    The Sorrow and the Pity
    Triumph of the Will

Shame the parameters of the thread can’t be extended to include Man With a Movie Camera (1929) and Shoah (1985), arguably the two greatest documentaries of all time.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  7. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

8. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

SALESMAN is the first one that came to mind when I saw the thread title, before I'd even seen your post. Amazing film. I thought I saw somewhere a while back that Criterion had announced a Blu-ray upgrade to the older DVD, but can't find any mention of it now.

[​IMG]

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How is this available these days? Great to have those excerpts but I wonder where you get the whole thing?

This is off-topic but I think Albert Brooks film “real life” is one of the funniest movies ever made.

10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I have the U.K. MoC DVD, which has an identical transfer to the Criterion, but with different extras. Long OOP these days.

Someone should put this film out on BD. I’d upgrade, though I wonder how many others would do the same. This film is well regarded, but it doesn’t have quite the same cult appeal as Grey Gardens.

[​IMG]

MortSahlFan likes this.
  11. Dave Garrett

stepeanut likes this.
  12. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

A Hard Day's Night

13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The World At War.
    Best doc about WWII ever.

15. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Yeah me too. As far as I can tell, the whole thing is not available anywhere. I got a DVD produced by PBS that only contains highlights of the full presentation that was shown in the weeks starting in January 1973. Maybe someday the whole series as seen back in the day will be resurrected and shown as well as a DVD of it.

16. MortSahlFan

There's a search filter I do that helps... I go to google.com, type in what I want.. Let's say it's Albert Brooks. I would type in "Albert Brooks -youtube" (to avoid them searches, since the chances are you already checked) and then I'd click on VIDEOS up top to further filter it.. I have found a LOT of things I had been searching for that I couldn't find previously this way.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Dave Garrett

There have been unofficial versions of the complete series in circulation from time to time. Don’t see any showing up in a cursory search but that doesn’t mean they’re not out there.

18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Excellent advice.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  19. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Is this available on DVD or streaming?

20. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

This ABC Special report has been impossible to forget over the decades

MortSahlFan likes this.
  21. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

This old docu about life in Louisiana's Creole/Cajun country called "Dry Wood." Very interesting glimpse of life in a much poorer & simpler time.
    The website www.folkstreams.net has the entire documentary, as well as others of rural life all over America. Another interesting one, I can't recall the name, shows the rural cajun Mardi Gras festival. Interesting.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Don't you mean "First US Visit"?

23. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Saw this at the theatre after Siskel and Ebert gave it glowing reviews. It has a lot of heart.
    [​IMG]

24. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

If you like this one, you need to get the very excellent Criterion set 'Les Blank - Always for Pleasure'. It contains 'Dry Wood' and a lot of other tremendous Les Blank documentaries.

Borgia likes this.
  25. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

The Chair was a good one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.