Favorite (& funny) moments from the Batman TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michelle66, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Whenever I watch the Batman TV series, I often find myself laughing at a goofy Bat-gadget, outlandish situation, witty or absurd one-liner/aside/insult, or something amusing I might have missed previously.

Some examples:

• Alfred has been kidnapped. The dynamic duo are desperately searching for clues in an abandoned fish store. The phone in the Batmobile rings. Batman and Robin race to the car....and the action grinds to a halt when Batman suddenly stops Robin in order to remind him to look both ways before crossing the street! :laugh:

• Catwoman calls Batman "Mr. Smarty-tights"

• Batman and Robin are tied to grills underneath two gigantic magnifying glasses. Catwoman informs the duo that she has coated the grill with margarine so their bodies will be extra crispy when the sun fries them. "Holy oleo!" the boy wonder exclaims. "I didn't know you could yodel," Catwoman tells Robin. :biglaugh:

• In a third-season episode, Catwoman and Joker are taking shots at the good guys who are in Commisioner Gordon's office. Batman orders everyone to the floor while he and Robin "Bat-creep" to the window. The Bat-creep is a tiny wheeled creeper that Batman supposedly pulls from his utility belt (ala the impossibly-huge Bat-shield), but he obviously pulls it out from under the commisioner's desk. (Watching Batman earnestly creep around the room is also a total scream!)

• While working on something in the Batcave, Batman wears rubber gloves over his Bat-gauntlets.

• In the Batman movie, when Bruce Wayne is out on a date with Miss Kitka, he has milk in his brandy snifter! (That one was pointed out by Adam West on the movie's commentary track.)

There are countless others, but these are just a few off the top of my head. What are some of yours?

Suncola and Luke The Drifter like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The guest villains

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The surprise guests that would pop up while B&R were scaling walls were always fun!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

I remember "I didn't know you could yodel", now that you mention it ...

It's been a long time, that's for sure, but I've probably seen all of them. For some reason Victor Buono as King Tut comes to mind, and he was trying to find a plural: "Sarcophaguses. Sarcophagi?" Also, instructions to one of his henchmen regarding one of the heroes and the coffin: "Put him in it!" Not funny by itself but the way he said it struck me as amusing. I can't remember much else right now but half of what other people post will probably jog my memory.

Also Catwoman in the Chad and Jeremy episode: "Because England swings like a pendulum do. Or does ..."

And of course kudos to all the guest villain actors and Cesar Romero and Burgess Meredith in particular!

5. Michelle66

The Batmobile Parachute Pickup Service van is always good for a chuckle:
    [​IMG]

As is the Anti-Lunatic Squad van:
    [​IMG]

The Anti-Lunatic Squad should have been given their own show. Give it a S.W.A.T.-like theme and throw it on ABC's 1972 schedule. Woulda been a hit!

6. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Aunt Harriet thinking Chad and Jeremy were "hep" while Bruce, Dick and Commissioner Gordon didn't (Gordon mentions his grandchildren loved them). She also liked Chantal (Liberace) and had a root beer float with him.

Catwoman pleads with Batman to marry her so she can reform. He says "what about Robin"? Momentarily stumped, Catwoman comes up with the perfect solution: "I know: we kill him".

7. Michelle66

That scene also contains one of my favorite utterances by Commisioner Gordon.

After he tells the Wayne party his grandchildren suggested he see Chad & Jeremy, he inquires to Bruce:

"A bit on the groovy side, aren't they?"

Neil Hamilton probably had no idea just what the hell he was saying..! :laugh:

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

When B&R shatter the world record for the mile run, and humbly keep that information to themselves.

MikaelaArsenault and BadJack like this.
  9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

It's always sounded to me like he's saying "Passion went out of fashion" (no "com")

It still sounds like that to me (1:21):

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Try "Big Sister", rather than "Big Sister's Clothes" ... although he might very well be saying "Confession went out of fashion".

@1:19

11. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

When Batman pauses pursuit to put money in a parking meter, and lectures Robin on how it funds city streets. Those gags always get me.

12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Whoa was completely unfamiliar w/ that version. Hard to believe it's the same song.

MikaelaArsenault and RayS like this.
  13. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

A couple of vague ones:

Batman's annoyance and disbelief when either the Chief or Commisioner imply that some citizens might cheat on their taxes.

Batman sitting at a microscope in the Batcave and Alfred walks in and starts to say something: 'Not now, Alfred. I'm......fighting crime.....'

MikaelaArsenault and BadJack like this.
  14. Michelle66

Some of my favorite Adam-West-as-Batman lines come from the ABC promo film "7 Nights to Remember".

All of it is even more absurd than what's on the TV series, but Adam's earnest delivery makes it funny.

I'd been hoping "7 Nights to Remember" would have been included in the blu-ray set, but it likely would have been a mess from a rights standpoint due to the number of people who appear in it.

Unfortunately, the best-looking option at YouTube has a few frustrating splices. But, the overall picture quality is quite good. Most times the promo turns up, it's a magenta-tinged mess due to the other colors having faded.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  15. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

The Human Siamese Knot

Michelle66 likes this.
  16. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

17. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

"Shame on you Shame".

Batman's Bat Pole is bigger than Robin's
    The switch boxes on the wall at the bottom of the Bat Poles that propel the Dynamic Duo up to Wayne Manor. Batman's switch box is bigger than Robin's switch box.

18. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

In one Catwoman episode, Robin yells: "CATWOMAN, YOU ARE NOT A NICE PERSON!!!"

In the first two-parter -- Hi Diddle Riddle/Smack In The Middle -- Batman is on the roof running after the Riddler and a bystander says "Hi, Batman!" Batman responds, "Hi," and keeps running.

The narrator (William Dozier, credited under the alias "Desmond Doomsday" on the back cover of the soundtrack album) had some great dramatic readings. One that just hit me the right way, was in "Hi Diddle Riddle" -- "WHAT FOUL TRICKERY are the fiendish Riddler and his evil Mole Hill Mob up to now?"

The 1966 movie has some great stuff in it, like the whole "some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!" business. In the scene where Penguin is disguised as Commodore Schmidlap, there is something odd about the dialogue, or the way the lines are being said. What was going on there? Looping lines in post-production maybe? (Speaking of which -- when Batman "shouldn't wish to attract attention" in the first episode, the guy who says "Ringside table, Batman?" sure sounds like William Dozier, and it almost sounds like it's dubbed in -- you don't see the actor's face.)

"The Penguin's Nest" -- Bruce Wayne and Commissioner Gordon go to adjoining phone booths, Gordon to call Batman and Wayne to call Alfred and have him punch in the Batphone line so he can speak to Gordon as Batman. Alfred says he'll call him. Gordon pokes his head out of the booth and says to Bruce Wayne, "We're in luck! Batman's at home!" "Wonderful," Bruce replies.

19. I was watching some retrospective documentary and they showed a clip, so I have no idea which episode it was from but Batman and Robin are out to find some money swindlers and Batman says "Come on Robin, let's go fishing. And where's the best place to go fishing? A shady bank!" and I was like "Huh? Did he just....? Wait, what?" but at the same time I was laughing my head off! [​IMG]

BadJack likes this.
  20. Michelle66

Back before the first Burton/Keaton film came out, Wally Wingert spoofed The Escape Club's song "Wild, Wild West" with this little ditty:

swedwards1960 likes this.
  21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I remember the dental hygiene bit. If I remember it correctly, there was one where Catwoman has Robin under her spell and tells him to "Slay the blue demon!" to which Robin responds, "Groovy!"

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

They walk in a jewelry store and the clerk identifies himself as G David Shine.
    (See The Army McCarthy hearings)

23. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

"The elevator you commissioned is out of commission, Commissioner."

(from memory, may not be word for word)

Pinknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.