Favorite Horror Films of the 60s

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by profholt82, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

If anyone is in the mood for Japanese TCM is playing Goke Body Snatcher From Hell and X From Outer Space tonight.
    Both from the 60s.

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Got them both lined up on the DVR :) (its gonna be a busy month on this unit)

I had no idea TCM doesn't have commercials during these movies - awesome!

3. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

Psycho, Rosemary's baby for me are the standouts.

4. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Curse Of The Werewolf[1961]..Dr.Sardonicus[1961]..The Pit And The Pendulum[1961].

5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I would have said Klute, but I guess that was 1971.

6. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

The OP's honorable mention:

[​IMG]

ParloFax likes this.
  7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I think Seconds is poised equally between horror and science fiction. It's one of my favourite films in any genre.

Rosemary's Baby is another great film - I'd say it's in a higher class than any of the other films mentioned on here. There's nothing camp about it: it's set in a recognisable and believable late 60s milieu and pivots around real events (the Pope's mid-sixties visit to the U.S.). Polanski filmed Ira Levin's novel virtually to the letter - a very unusual move, but one that certainly paid off.

ParloFax and P(orF) like this.
  8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I saw "Circus Of Horrors" as a ten year old in 1960. Many of the scenes stayed with me for years,
    especially the scene below. Using the original version of "Look For A Star" by Garry Mills (not
    Gary Miles), this is a haunting scene, and of course, later in the film she does the same routine and
    you knew it would end horribly, which of course it does, and that makes the song even more
    memorable.
    I went out and bought the single (by Garry Mills) days later (it eventually became a top 10 single),
    and to this day, when I play it, I think of those two scenes.....

Miriam likes this.
  9. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

It's a comedy, but Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killers really spooked me as a child.

10. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I always thought "The Shuttered Room" [aka Blood Island] was real creepy and I like It!
    Superb acting from Oliver Reed and of course the beautiful Carol Lynley certainly helps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jackson likes this.
  11. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Horror Hotel
    Day of the Triffids.

...any drive in movie I saw in Wheeling ill.
    In the 60's

12. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimi Bat likes this.
  13. My wife and I just watched tP&tP for the first time ever and liked it a lot. But we're equally stumped over one detail of the script: why does "Vincent Price" confuses his brother-in-law with the mischievous physician in the end?

14. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

The Pit And The Pendilum-Curse Of The Werewolf-Dr.Sardonicus.

15. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

the Haunting is my favorite. It creeps up on you and before you know it it's a full on horror film. Some good performances too.

16. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

The Innocents is an incredibly deep and psychologically fascinating story, and it's one of my favorite films. It also has the two best performances by child actors I've ever seen. The little boy was in Village of the Damned.

The Haunting remains scary today and also has a lot of subtext.

PhilJol and Witchy Woman like this.
  17. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

All my favorites have been mentioned already -Psycho, The Haunting, Night of The Living Dead, Dracula, Vincent Price, etc.

Another one I really liked- not a horror movie but one that was quite suspenseful - “I Saw What You Did” with Joan Crawford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.