Favorite Movie Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NoTinEar, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended Thread Starter

How about favorite movie soundtracks and if you feel so inclined a note or two about the sound quality. In my experience they can sound quite good.

Edit-
    Good point about the two ways. So let's keep this to original musical scores for movies. We can do the compilation thread separately.

I'll start with-

Hamlet(1996 version)-
    This Patrick Doyle soundtrack really has some amazing pieces on it. It is all over the map in the emotion it evokes from me. Royalty, desperation, anxiety, pride, envy, etc, etc. Borrowing heavily from several areas/disciplines of classical music it still manages to stay fresh throughout its long length. It has very good sound quality, though it sounds a little compressed. The parts with vocals however sound impressively in the concert hall.

Glory-
    A soundtrack that works 100% on the emotional level, elevating the movie far above what it would be without such a work. Exhilarating and alternative sad, it evokes even more emotion for me after 9/11. Definitely steals from Carmina Burana for its "Charging Fort Wagner" piece; however that doesn't distract from the exhilaration of that cut. Excellent sound quality from another Shawn Murphy engineered recording. Take your flavor cd, vinyl, or DAD they all sound excellent in varying degrees. Huge sound stage be it the depth or width, good dynamic range, and excellent overall balance to the sound.

Batman(Tim Burton version)-
    I love this Danny Elfman soundtrack. Dark, brooding, and in my opinion the best match to any comic type movie soundtrack. I still get goose-bumps listening to the "theme" cut. Early digital recording, but surprisingly good sounding thanks to Shawn Murphy the engineer. Excellent bass response, huge depth and width to the sound, definitely weak(as in lacking) on the top end though.

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Paris Texas, great sound and great slide guitar

3. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

I see this thread going in two directions. First is the actual Sound track behind the film and the second would be the sound track of popular songs that may also be part of the film.

For the sound track itself of non-pop songs-- I personally like the original Star Wars from 1977.

For the songs-- I love the sound tracks to "FM", "Forrest Gump" and "Pulp Fiction"

4. nashreed

nashreed New Member

I LOVE "song" songtracks- I really can't get into "score" soundtracks; too much like classical to me.

My favorites include:
    Heavy Metal
    Never Been Kissed
    Fast Times At Ridgemont High
    There's Something About Mary
    Roadie
    Pretty In Pink
    She's The One (Tom Petty/HeartBreakers)
    Teachers

There's nothing like a good, well-thought out soundtrack for variety and one that brings back memories of the film (Although I certainly don't like all the above as films.)

James

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Saturday Night Fever (question: does this qualify as a compilation or the actual soundtrack that it is?)

A Chorus Line (1985 version on Casablanca Records)
    Exudus
    Supefly
    Footloose (same as with SNF)
    That's The Way Of The World-Earth, Wind & Fire
    Purple Rain-Prince & The Revolution
    Fast Times At Ridgemont High
    Valley Girl
    Do The Right Thing

As you can tell, i'm not much into classical music scores.

6. mandrake

mandrake New Member

Great soundtracks

The Blues Brothers - Various
    Deliverance ('Dueling Banjos') - Eric Weissberg &
    Steve Mandell
    The Italian Job - Quincy Jones
    The Pink Panther - Henry Mancini
    The Producers - Original Soundtrack
    Scarface - Various
    Smokey and The Bandit - Jerry Reed

Most of the James Bond soundtracks are pretty good too

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I like these: Grease, Urban Cowboy, Sound of Music, Oklahoma!, Saturday Night Fever, Smokey & The Bandit, Deliverance, Blues Brothers, American Graffiti, etc. Although I do like some classical music, I am not into the score soundtracks much either although I do like the Godfather soundtrack.

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Psyhco - Bernard Hermann. A great piece of music.

Mud-

9. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

I like the scores of Bernard Herrmann. Here are some favorites:

Citizen Kane
    Vertigo
    Psycho
    North by Northwest
    The Day The Earth Stood Still
    Taxi Driver

10. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

THAT THING YOU DO and FOREST GUMP.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I love Erich Wolfgang Korngold (duh) and most all of the "classic" era composers.

I am partial to John Williams, not caring what he borrowed from the greats, and my bud Danny Elfman; His "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" soundtrack is amazing.

My all time favorite score is Victor Young's amazing "Around The World In 80 Days" (1956).

My favorite non-score soundtrack is "A Hard Day's Night".
    My second favorite; "Help" (surprise)...

The Shadows "The Young Ones", Elvis "King Creole", etc.

Plus many more...

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Henry V--Patrick Doyle
    Thin Red Line
    Help
    The Natural
    Grand Prix--which I have on a really poor vinyl pressing, but the music still shines through.

John K.

13. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Kansas City

Great Music and Great Sound.

They went to extraordinary measures to record this thing. Digital for the film soundtrack and simultaneously in anlogue for the CD.

Interesting read on how it was done included with disc.

14. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended Thread Starter

Yes that is an extraordinarily "live club" sounding album, with great playing.

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have Around The World In 80 Days on original mono LP. I should play that soundtrack sometime as it is something I would like as I like "Around The World."

16. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Two of my all-time favorites are by the Italian prog band Goblin: "Profondo Rosso" and "Suspiria", the soundtracks for two of Italian horror maestro Dario Argento's greatest films.

Of course, Ennio Morricone's scores for Sergio Leone's "Dollars" trilogy ("A Fistful of Dollars", "For a Few Dollars More" and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly") are outstanding as well.

17. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Thunderball
    Last tango in Paris
    Easy rider
    Woodstock :D
    Clockwork Orange

One of the most enjoyable music moments while watching a movies was during a completely forgettable X-gen piece called ..whatever, I forgot... Wynonna Rider and the Garofalo lady were in it.

Surprisingly they included Tempted by Squeeze, which was way out of contemporaneity (sp?) with the movie itself.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Anything Beatles
    Braveheart
    Meet Joe Black
    Star Trek-The Motion Picture
    Titanic
    Anything Johnny Williams
    Anything Bernard Hermann
    Anything Jerry Goldsmith

Many, many more...:)

19. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Thanks. Was typing in a hurry and couldn't think of the proper terminology for the different types of sound track.

20. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

yeah, and in the 7-11, they start dancing to My Sharona.
    and there was a pic sleeve single with Tempted/My Sharona.

21. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Girogio Moroders soundtrack to Cat People, anchored by the first cut on side I, Bowie's slow, sultry, intense take on Cat People (Putting Out Fire With Gasoline), preferable, to my tastes at least, to the version on Lets Dance.

2001 & 2010

Close Encounters

Soundtracks with Pop hits, and not necessarily the CD releases, but the songs that were played during the movie

Jerry McGuire

FG

Almost Famous (darn near in a class of its own)

Boogie Nights

Two Days In The Valley

Pulp Fiction

Royal Tennenbaums

High Fidelity

and of course,

The Rutles, All You Need Is Cash

22. Dawson

Dawson New Member

The soundtrack to Scrooge. Columbia Masterworks taken from the Albert Finney version of the movie. Maybe its my sentimental attachment to the film itself but I still enjoy the "dickens" out of it. Haven't seen a cd release, anyone?

Best!

23. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

A Clockwork Orange is top of the list for a score--I see Pablo already voted for it!

Nobody mentioned Rocky Horror Picture Show yet? When I was in college, the album was hard to find, we wore the grooves out on my copy!

Porky's Revenge (Dave Edmunds, George Harrison, et al.)
    Legend (T. Dream, Jon Anderson, Bryan Ferry)
    Pretty In Pink (P. Furs, OMD, S. Vega et al.)
    Local Hero (Mark Knopfler)
    Wild in the Streets (Max Frost & the Troopers--someone please reissue this on CD!)

24. Ralpho

Ralpho Senior Member

I recently discovered the movie “Rushmore” on criterion and immediately fell in love with both the movie and the soundtrack. According to the director, the original plan was to use only songs by the Kinks. Check out the tunes:

1. Hardest Geometry Problem in the World - Mark Mothersbaugh
    2. Making Time – Creation
    3. Concrete & Clay - Unit 4 + 2
    4. Nothing In This World Can Stop Me Worrin' Bout That Girl - The Kinks
    5. Sharp Little Guy - Mark Mothersbaugh
    6. The Lad With the Silver Button - Mark Mothersbaugh
    7. A Summer Song - Chad & Jeremy
    8. Edward Appleby (In Memoriam) - Mark Mothersbaugh
    9. Here Comes My Baby - Cat Stevens
    10. A Quick One While He's Away - The Who
    11. 'Snowflake Music' From Bottlerocket - Mark Mothersbaugh
    12. Piranhas are a Very Tricky Species - Mark Mothersbaugh
    13. Blinuet - Zoot Sims
    14. Friends Like You, Who Needs Friends - Mark Mothersbaugh
    15. Rue St. Vincent - Yves Montand
    16. Kite Flying Society - Mark Mothersbaugh
    17. The Wind - Cat Stevens
    18. Oh Yoko - John Lennon
    19. Ooh La La - The Faces
    20. Margaret Yang's Theme - Mark Mothersbaugh

Devo’s Mark Mothersbaugh's incidental music scores are pretty enjoyable and mix well with the early 60’s songs. Oh, and by the way – the movie is great too! See it if you haven’t yet!
    If you have seen the film, you’ll realize that some Key songs that set the mood of the film were left out of the soundtrack (probably hard to get the rights) - so I made my own CD-R and added these songs to complete the soundtrack.:D

Take Ten – Paul Desmond
    Jersey Thursday – Donovan
    I Am Waiting – The Rolling Stones
    Manoir De Mes Reves – Django Reinhardt/Stephane Grappelly

25. Mart

Mart New Member

Off the top of my head

1) Heavy Metal
    2) Cat People
    3) Fame
    4) Flashdance
    5) Iron Eagle