Favorite Movie Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NoTinEar, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mart

Mart New Member

ooh, forgot about the Big Chill

I forgot about that one. I will cop out & blame knowing that the soundtrack isn't. The movie used the best video footage (which included that concert's less than ideal audio) from serveral concerts while the soundtrack used the best recorded audio. So, the soundtrack isn't & thank God for that. I have both the LDs & CDs.

Good one!!! I'd rank that one with Cat People.

2. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

I watched the film "One Upon a Time in the West" on AMC last night (pan&scan, yuk), and was wondering if the soundtrack had ever been released. Morricone does fabulous work. (I already own G,B&U)

Sure wish they'd get around to authoring this film to DVD, it's long overdue.

Stephen

3. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

Kevin:

I'll keep "Cousins" in mind. Oddly enough, I've never even seen the movie.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre
    Vertigo - Bernard Herrman
    Most anything I have ever heard by Alfred Newman. He really is the "gold standard" for film composers and many still borrow from him. The more of his scores that get released on soundtrack albums, the better.

Regards,

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

According to statements from Paramount, they are currently plugging away at an extended version of the film for eventual DVD and (hopefully) theatrical reissue. It is taking them awhile to assemble the best film elements possible for the previously deleted scenes. It will likely be released some time next year. It was not clear to me whether they are just trying to extend it to the length of the original European release or to go beyond and add more stuff. I also do not know the history of the cuts to say whether this is a good or bad thing.

Regards,

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Just about anything Nino Rota did for Fellini.

7. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Mary Poppins
    That'll Be The Day
    Stardust (David Essex/Dave Edmunds)
    A Hard Day's Night
    Help
    The Lords of Flatbush

8. RDK

RDK Active Member

A few favorites have already been mentioned.

Just about anything by Korngold or Bernard Herrman. Enio Morricone is great, though a few of his earlier scores are a bit too "goofy" for my tastes. His scores for "The Mission" and "Once Upon a Time in America" are both lovely later works.

Max Steiner's score for the 1933 "King Kong" is underrated imo; one of the great early scores that helped create the formula for adventure movie music.

For pop/rock music, few movie soundtracks can touch "Pretty in Pink."

Another personal favorite is Dominic Frontiere's score for "The Stunt Man."

Ray

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

John B: Do you know if this was ever issued on CD? Anybody?

Anyone mention All This and World War II yet? All-Beatles covers, decades before the same idea was used for I Am Sam.

10. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

This is good news!! Thanks for the update Ken.

Stephen

11. Sound

Sound Member

One lessor known:
    "Things to do in Denver When Your Dead".
    Highly Recommended!

12. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

Moulin Rouge (sp?)
    The Crossroads

13. John B

Jimbo,

I've never seen the CD. AMG gives the following song listing (implying that this is on the CD):

1. Summer in the City
    2. I'm a Believer
    3. House of the Rising Sun
    4. Carrie Anne
    5. I've Gotta Get a Message to You
    6. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (Mann/Spector/Weil)
    7. Eve of Destruction
    8. White Rabbit
    9. A Natural Woman (You Make Me Feel Like) (Goffin/King/Wexler)
    10. When Will I Be Loved?
    11. Need a Shot of Rhythm and Blues
    12. You Kept Me Waiting
    13. Let It Be Me (Becaud/Curtis/Delanoe)
    14. Some Other Guy
    15. Take It Away
    16. C'mon Little Dixie
    17. Americana Stray Cat Blues
    18. Dea Sancta
    19. Stardust

The first 9 are the original artists, the rest are the Stray Cats featuring Dave Edmunds or David Essex. I have the original double LP which has many more songs such as Whiter Shade of Pale and My Generation. I love this album because it was my introduction to most of these songs. Bear in mind the label is Ronco or K-Tel (I'll have to go into the basement to check!) so if it is out on CD, the sound quality of the tracks will have been surpassed on different issues.

14. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

John: Thanks for the info. I've never seen this on CD either. I think my LP was on Arista, I'll have to dig it out too! BTW, I believe the Stray Cats were the name of the group in the movie, and are not related to the 80s rockabilly revival group. Ironic, though, that Dave Edmunds wound up producing those Stray Cats!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Ya know, I'd also love to see a CD reissue of the soundtrack to Times Square, the 1980 Tim Curry vehicle. I great collection of early new wave classics.

15. John B

Right it's a different band. I should have mentioned that just as Stardust has nothing to do with Hoagy Carmichael.
    My double LP came from England, so perhaps a different label. Did you see That'll Be the Day (with Ringo)?

16. herbelin

herbelin New Member

"Ghost" and "Sleepless in Seattle," which has a couple of great cuts by Jimmy Durante.

17. herbelin

herbelin New Member

2001: A Space Odyssey

18. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Wow!
    What an interesting bunch. Some of these I had actually forgotten about, and some of these were on my list of favs as well.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is up there, as is Midnight Cowboy. I also see someone mentioned "American Graffiti", which I fell in love with on 8-Track(what are those?).

Incidentally- I bought American Graffiti on CD when it released in Japan, and paid something like $50 for it back then. I thought it was horrible, as it had much of the Wolfman verbage(may he RIP) weeded out. The store I got it at actually took it back!

I avoided the US release(when it finally came out) like the plague, as it was $35, but I actually found a mint used one for $12 and picked it up- much to my surprise, the Wolfman was backk!!!!

I didn't see this one listed above, but who remembers "More American Graffiti"? I wore out the cassette I had of this, and have always wondered if it would ever see a CD release. If I had a nice vinyl piece- I would roll my own.

Chris

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I was the one mentioned "American Graffiti." I've seen an 8-track before and heard it. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the American Graffiti soundtrack without the Wolfman Jack stuff either. The US release is the release to own of it for sure.

20. cberry

cberry New Member

Some I didn't see listed:

The Graduate

The Sting

Goldfinger

Philadelphia

Easy Rider

21. Larry

Larry Member

Eddie and the Cruisers

22. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Chris,

I may be one of the few people who actually like this movie! I thought it was a well made film, but I don't think it was ever released on Laser Disc and probably stands even less chance of coming out on DVD... and even less chance of the soundtrack coming out.

As for other soundtracks, I love Bernard Hermann's music for Citizen Cane and also for the Magnificent Ambersons (he's uncredited, but the music is unmistakably his). Ironically, Welles' "Lady From Shanghai" was ruined partially by the terrible scoring (and that hour of cut footage, thank you Harry).

I love Ennio Morricone's work on many great movies including "Badlands" and "Days of Heaven." Jerry Goldsmith's Basic Instinct, L.A. Confidential, Alien, and Mulan scores stick out in my mind. Of course, all of Kubrick's films have great scores, so much so that I consider the music another character.

Finally, I've yet to hear a bad score from Danny Elfman, I'm crazy about his work.

23. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello Ray.

What's in it? I remember the title song by the P. Furs and of course "Try a little tenderness" (another pleasant surprise).

Thanks in advance.

24. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Pretty in Pink

Pablo: The Pretty in Pink soundtrack is a great sampler of mid-80s new wave. The track list:

1. If You Leave--Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - 4:25
    2. Left of Center--Suzanne Vega / Joe Jackson - 3:33
    3. Get to Know Ya--Jesse Johnson - 3:34
    4. Do Wot You Do--INXS - 3:16
    5. Pretty in Pink--Psychedelic Furs - 4:40
    6. Shellshock--New Order - 6:04
    7. Round, Round--Belouis Some - 4:07
    8. Wouldn't It Be Good--Danny Hutton Hitters - 3:44
    9. Bring on the Dancing Horses--Echo & the Bunnymen - 3:59
    10. Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want--Smiths - 1:51

Sorry, "Try a Little Tenderness" didn't make it on to the LP.:(

25. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Re: Pretty in Pink

Thanks Jimbo.

I paid little attention to most of these acts so it would be a good introduction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.