Favorite Number Two Hit of 1967?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Definitely the hardest one of these polls to pick a winner. I love every one of these songs! Finally went with "Can't Take My Eyes Off You," a brilliantly produced single, and used to excellent effect in The Deerhunter. And it blended so well with U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" in the Pet Shop Boys cover/medley!

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Georgie Girl for me, too! Note that this was my favorite song of 1967 in 1967. Any choice I'd make now would be revisionism!!

3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I voted for The Rain The Park and Other Things. I loved it when it was released and I was 10 years old, and I surprised myself last week when I heard it on the radio in the car. I hadn't heard it for a few years, and I sang along without missing a word. It made me smile, and to me, that is one of the things music is about. (Music can make me cry, as well.)

4. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Stupid.

Not you Ron I mean the song's called "Something Stupid" :)

Interesting what kept them off the top.

5. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Ed,

I'm flattered. I have flitted many a time. I take exception to "dowdy" - my feathers are crisp and shiny. :)

6. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Two Words:

Soul Man

Peace-
    Norm

7. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

ooh Ron this was a tough one! I went with Tell It Like It Is because of how haunting Aaron's voice is on that single but I could have easily picked any of these. Good thread choice, I look forward to the next one.

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

Noted and edited -- smartypants!

9. Roland Stone

Checking in after a long day at work, I'm really surprised that "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" is a clear leader. Not that it isn't a great single, I just didn't think a pure pop song would get so many votes on our largely Classic Rock-favored forum.

I guessed "Soul Man," holding off "Tell It Like It Is," while writing the poll. This'll be the first time in the #2 series I didn't guess the winner, if Frankie Valli holds this lead.

As they say on ESPN, "That's why they play the game!"

10. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

"Strawberry Fields Forever" even though it's not on the list.

11. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

A difficult choice to make here, but I have to go with The Association.

I like that mono version that's on one of the Dick Bartley On The Radio CDs.

12. Roland Stone

I voted "Soul Man" myself, with "Tell It Like It Is" second, then Stevie. Hmm, any R&B bias in my selections?

I remember something critic Dave Marsh said when a reader complained that there were too many Sam & Dave entries in his selection of the 1001 best singles in rock history: "That's like saying there's too much fresh air in the room!"

13. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I agree with him, and I'd add Neville, James Carr, Otis, and Arthur Alexander to that list. They always make me smile and, because I don't play them with the same frequency a lot of better-selling artists got over the years, they also always sound a lot more fresh. You really can't go wrong with much of anything they've ever recorded, though my heart, of course, is in their best '60s material, which is to say, most everything each did during that time...:)

ED:cool:

14. Ed Bishop

Well, that's only because it did no better than #8 here....strange as that is to contemplate today. :eek:

15. Roland Stone

Otis Redding is fairly well-serviced by the Rhino OTIS! box (one of the top ten box sets ever).

I have the Razor & Tie James Carr set -- anything else I need from him?

I'll have to get some Arthur Alexander as well. I think I have the Warner Archives set, RAINBOW ROAD (most of my CDs are in storage). What are the other essential sets?

16. Ed Bishop

That it is!

He has an Ace compilation, THE COMPLETE GOLDWAX SINGLES[Kent CDKEN 202]with all the A's & B's in mono. Highly recommended!

The one I prefer is THE GREATEST ARTHUR ALEXANDER[Ace CDCH 922], a good survey of his Dot material, including some of the unreleased stuff that was on their 1987 Lp(name escapes me at the moment). Rougher sounding than the Razor & Tie comp, but seems a more honest sound to me....a matter of taste, I guess. The title of that one is THE ULTIMATE ARTHUR ALEXANDER, and, while it's pretty good, sure wish Steve had been the guy who remastered it, for obvious reasons.:)

17. Roland Stone

Thanks, Sarah, uh, Mud. (I gotta get me a sexy avatar one o' these days).

Why isn't there a complete Sam & Dave package? The Rhino two-disc set splits the prime right down the middle of two discs. I'd just as soon have a Complete Atlantic Recordings. Wilson Pickett, too.

18. Ed Bishop

Mud?:confused: ;) And yes, you should get yourself some kind of avatar, Ron...a member looks kinda...naked without one!:D

Good question.....probably figure it wouldn't sell the way Otis would. Pity, great idea. And Pickett....use all the mono master they can find for both, get it right, don't futz with the sound....well, I can dream, can't I?:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.