Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Demuth was perhaps a wee bit (!) in thrall of Lionel Feininger, no?....the Demuth was 1930, Feininger 1924. Good painting though.

Lionel Feininger, Gaberndorf II, 1924.

lyonel-feininger-Gabenddorf II 1924.jpg

2. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

John Frederick Peto (American) who died in 1907 should be much better known than he is....he took as his starting point the Dutch still life painters of the 17th century but then produced several works that anticipated the "Pittura Metafisica" works of Carlo Carra and Giorgio Morandi in their stillness, mystery and simplification of form (like the lovely one that you posted). The Italian artists were, however, almost certainly unaware of his work and had come to their own pictorial solutions via the quite different work of their countryman Giorgio de Chirico.

Carlo Carra, The Drunken Gentleman, 1916

Carlo Carra, The Drunken Gentleman, 1916.jpg

Giorgio Morandi, Narura morta, 1919

morandi_3-716911.jpg

Archguy, Tuco, Mychkine and 1 other person like this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

A couple pieces by Victor Nizovtsev.

victor1.jpg victor2.jpg

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

[​IMG]

Andrew Wyeth - Wind from the Sea

bluesky, Tokyo Ghost, Miriam and 7 others like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Can't see images.

7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'm a fan of Van Gogh and this one is probably my favourite

Wheat Field With Crows

[​IMG]

And of course Starry Night recently made famous by the great Don McLean song

[​IMG]

bluesky, Tuco and smilin ed like this.
  8. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Tuco likes this.
  9. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I adore the painters of the Hudson River School, the romantic landscape artists of the nineteenth century, especially Albert Bierstadt and Frederic Edwin Church. Ten years or so ago the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts had a show called "American Sublime," which was devoted to these works in nineteenth-century American landscape painting. For some reason I missed the exhibition, but got the catalogue, the cover of which is Church's truly sublime "Cotopaxi," shown below, in a teeny tiny image that doesn't do it justice.

At the end of last summer I stopped in to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC and as it happened it was the last day of the showing there of "The Civil War and American Art," which had previously been in Washington, DC. It was a great exhibition. I was lucky my failure to plan hadn't tripped me up this time. And, right at the start, there it was, "Cotopaxi," on loan from the Detroit Institute of Arts (where its fate I would imagine is still uncertain, no?). I stood in front of it for two different lengths of time, trying to scan it all over (it is immense) and remember as much as I could.

[​IMG]

Here's the page on the DIA Web site: http://www.dia.org/object-info/baeac490-f496-4a17-b917-dd0216d11492.aspx?position=1

misko, PennyLanes, zobalob and 4 others like this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

^ That's a beautiful painting Sburke.

SBurke likes this.
  11. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

It is so rich, in vividness and detail, and expressive. If you get a chance to see it, don't pass it up. I got very lucky and stumbled into a second chance!

:cheers:

12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

If you are ever in Dallas, or get a chance elsewhere, his The Icebergs is also stunning.

13. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I've not seen it, meaning the real thing, up close, but that does indeed look awesome.

14. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Last year there was a Church show in nearby Edinburgh... http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/frederic-church and http://artdaily.com/news/62534/Thro...sketch-opens-at-the-Scottish-National-Gallery, very good it was too.

This, "Niagara Falls, from the American Side" from 1867 is in the permanent collection of the Scottish National Gallery in Edinburgh.

NG 799.jpg

SBurke and jupiterboy like this.
  15. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Been there, done it. When I was at the Tate Museum in London, wanting to see The Metamorphosis of Narcissus by Dali, it was in Washington D.C., if I recall correctly, and when I was in Washington D.C. a month later, the painting was en route to London.

zobalob and Bill Hart like this.
  16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

There is also something about the natural light in these places that adds to the magic. Although the Hudson River School was not literally confined to the Hudson Valley, the light there can be magical. So too, in Constable country in England, and the region of Southern France where Van Gogh famously painted. (I also love the Hudson River paintings).

zobalob and SBurke like this.
  17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I saw this - to be honest, I was hoping there would be more of his works, but I enjoyed seeing what was there, especially the large scale Niagara Falls painting above.

zobalob likes this.
  18. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Absolutely, and I think in many of these paintings it's the artist's pursuit of a particular moment created by the play and color of natural light that is the key to the beauty, and that feeling of the "sublime" (a term I've never felt I understood properly).

19. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

I had to post this here, too:

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

[​IMG]

Charles Rennie Mackintosh - Fetges

Archguy, Tokyo Ghost, Tuco and 2 others like this.
  21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

zobalob and jupiterboy like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

This is not my favorite to look at, but the ability to produce it is stunning.

Giovanni Arnolfini and his Bride by Jan van Eyck (1434)

Van_Eyck_-_Arnolfini_Portrait.jpg

Notice the incredible detail in the conclave mirror. The size of the entire portrait is only 32.4 x 23.6 inches.

The_Arnolfini_Portrait,_détail_(2).jpg

GyroT, baggies, KevlarHeart and 3 others like this.
  24. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

This is almost an impossible task. But Jackson Pollock's Convergence is the painting that I spend the most time in front of at the Albright Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo.
    [​IMG]

bluesky, Archguy, Zep Fan and 4 others like this.
  25. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]

Can't print the whole thing because, well, lots of folks here would consider it obscene, but Keith Haring's Once Upon A Time, which was a mural he did in the bathroom of the Lesbian and Gay Community Center in NYC is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. A celebration of the way things used to be in gay culture, drawn on the bathroom tiles in 1989, it's a landmark work.

Tuco likes this.