Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

2. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Agree - the first time I saw one of Van Gogh's works in person, I could feel the madness jumping off the canvas. Seeing it in person is the only way to really appreciate it. It's like seeing a band on DVD vs. a live concert.

3. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

We attended the opening of the Van Gogh Bedrooms exhibit at Chicago's Art Institute on Friday. Amazing what he was able to accomplish in just about three years.

[​IMG]

smilin ed and zobalob like this.
  4. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

The first time I saw a Van Gogh was in the Amsterdam airport. I had a few hours to kill between flights and I wandered around. Around a corner where I expected just something else, they put an art museum in the Airport. And in it is one of Van Gogh's portraits! Imagine my surprise that I could be in transit half way around the world and see work from a great artist. Van Gogh did many self-portraits so I guess they could afford to put one in an airport without depriving some old museum but still it's pretty profound to come across when you are expecting a chair massage shop or bar. I've seen other works of his since then but I always remember that portrait. And that's what I love about art - the most mundane experience can be enhanced and changed by a genuine work of art being in that same space.

tvstrategies, Tuco and zobalob like this.
  5. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Jealous! Is it there that they have the bedroom setup as he painted it?

6. EddieMann

Yes!
    [​IMG]

7. EddieMann

Art, like music, can be very emotional for me. When I saw that mock up of his bedroom a great wave of feeling came over me. Was it the small space that he was able to so beautifully reproduce? Was it the simple life he was searching for with all the moves during his life? Or was it the frenetic pace he kept up during the last three years of his life, cranking out masterpieces one after another? I don't know, but a thousand thoughts went through my feeble brain at that instant.

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

[​IMG]

Butto's 'The Sisters'. Families, eh?

10. Ashley Pomeroy

Ashley Pomeroy Forum Resident

I have lots of favourite paintings. Two that stand out are Giorgio de Chirico's The Red Tower:

[​IMG]

And Antonio Donghi's Donna al Caffe:

[​IMG]

I've seen them both in real life. They made me stop and look at them. The Red Tower doesn't look quite like that - the colours are different. Donna is basically the same. Why did they appeal to me? They're bold and they both have a mood. Donna is fascinating because she has the expression of someone who agreed to pose for the artist, realised too late that they didn't like it, but decided to go through with it anyway.

Also, Canaletto's La Vigilia di Santa Marta, which again looks much better if you see it. It stands out because classical painters didn't usually try to picture night as genuinely dark:

[​IMG]

Next to it was this, which is similar - the scan looks much more like the actual painting:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  11. Krull

Krull Well-Known Member

Jean Delville - Portrait of Madame Stuart Merrill, 1892

[​IMG]

I've been fascinated by this painting ever since I saw it on the book I owned Dreamers Of Decadence by Phillipe Jullian, but I'd never seen the full version until now.

xilef regnu and Mychkine like this.
  12. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

[​IMG][​IMG]

Scortched Earth, Sample 3 — 2015
    Mark Bradford

While definitely not a favorite of all time, contemporary art, texturaly compelling.

Mychkine and GuildX700 like this.
  13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I've enclosed enough of mine. This is one of my lady's favourites; 'The Misses Vickers' (1884) by John Singer Sargent. Displayed for the longest while in Sheffield's Greaves gallery. Nothing particularly remarkable or historic but is very relaxing.

[​IMG]

Tuco, Bewaremylove, zobalob and 3 others like this.
  14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

That's a nice one. He was recently in my city for an opening. He's representing in Venice next year.

EdgardV likes this.
  15. Descartridge

Descartridge Forum Resident

Tongue in cheek:
    [​IMG]

KevlarHeart, Tuco, RMB77 and 7 others like this.
  16. proudy

proudy Well-Known Member

17. drasil

drasil Former Resident

do you mean any given painting? if so, what's the event?

zobalob likes this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

bluesky, KevlarHeart, Tuco and 5 others like this.
  19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

20. Krull

Krull Well-Known Member

This artist, Eugene Berman, has an interesting style, kind of crossing Dali and de Chirico, but with other touchpoints as well. Termed Neo-Romantic & Surrealist, he lived from 1899-1972, was born in Russia, and lived in L.A. and Rome.

View in Perspective of a Perfect Sunset, 1941
    [​IMG]

I saw this firsthand in Portland, and the photo doesn't do it justice:

Time and the Monuments, 1941
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Tuco and GuildX700 like this.
  21. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Sunset on Mont Blanc by Wenzel Hablik.[​IMG]

blutiga, Manimal and GuildX700 like this.
  22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I really like those!

Here's something I did back when I was a teenager, oddly similar:
    [​IMG]

Tuco, Krull and Gemini IV like this.
  23. Gemini IV

Gemini IV Active Member

Francisco Goya - Yard with Lunatics.

junk likes this.
  24. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Paolo Uccello (b.1397-d.1475)
    Hard to pick just one...
    "The Hunt in the Forest" c.1470
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    EdgardV likes this.
  25. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

I love this one, Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose, by John Sargent in the Tate Britain.
    [​IMG]
    Whoever curates at the Tate has a twisted sense of humor though. This painting is just behind an intense metal sculpture of a man struggling with a huge snake, fangs bared.

Also love this one, Midsummer's Eve by Edward Robert Hughes
    [​IMG]

But favorite? This is like asking about desert island music. My favorite genre is surrealism (some great ones in MOMA and also in the Tate Modern), although there are also the fantastic scenes of Heaven, The Apocalypse, and others by John Martin, in the Tate Britain. Also, the Magritte museum in Brussels, the Escher museum in the Hague!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016