Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I'm partial to this one.

[​IMG]

drasil likes this.
  2. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

[​IMG]

junk and Jupiter like this.
  3. junk

junk Hellion

Most people don't know the the Girl with a Pearl Earring was originally painted full length.

[​IMG]

bluesky, Tuco, tvstrategies and 4 others like this.
  4. junk

junk Hellion

[​IMG]

Tuco and Mychkine like this.
  5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

6. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

smilin ed likes this.
  7. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Interesting to me, when I first saw No. 4 (Yellow, Black, Orange on Yellow/ Untitled), it reminded me of a roll of 35mm film, and some of the abstract unintended results found there after processing.

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

9. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Picasso - Woman with a Book (1932)

[​IMG]

strummer101 and smilin ed like this.
  10. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Karl Otto Götz - Krakmo (1958), 175 x 145 cm, mixed media, Museum Wiesbaden

K.O. Götz was the professor of Gerhard Richter and Sigmar Polke in the early 60s and also the professor of my professor.
    He does his paintings within minutes (even seconds) with giant squeegees on a totally smooth surface (his canvases are primed with wallpaper paste).
    One of the leading figures of the "Informel" here in Europe (similar movement to the abstract expressionism on the other side of the pond)

K.O. Götz - Homepage des Malers, Dichters und Wissenschaftlers Karl Otto Götz »

Not my favourite painting of all time, but a very good one from ONE of my favourite artists (and there are quite a few)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuco, strummer101 and ruben lopez like this.
  11. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

People don't talk about Monet as a painter of people, but some of his stuff with people is exquisite. That sky is wonderful, so classically impressionistic.

EdgardV and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Probably something by Kandinsky. I was fortunate to see an exhibit comprising a representative array of his work a few years ago. Seeing his work in person - many are either quite large or surprisingly small - conveys some remarkable nuances and graduations in how he used color. It's like watching jazz music 20-30 years before the birth of the cool: Wassily Kandinsky - "Composition VIII", 1923 »

drasil and strummer101 like this.
  14. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Claude, The Stroll, 1875

Love the kinetic energy.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  15. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I've seen that Picasso at the Art Institute of Chicago. It's very impressive.

16. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Don't mean to be that guy. But this is by Henry Fuseli, not Goya

smilin ed and Mychkine like this.
  17. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Too late! You're that guy! ;-)
    No, nice catch.

I also like this monochromatic study:
    [​IMG]

Tuco likes this.
  18. You passed the test...just checking to see how knowledgable you all are. :angel:

Seriously I had my doubts, but I pulled it from a search of Goya's macabre works. Not sure why it was there.

19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've seen it attributed to Goya before.

20. Not surprisingly, music-related. Thomas Hart Benton's "Sun Treader" 1934 Portrait of Carl Ruggles (who was a compatriot of Charles Ives, and composed music that was sort of a hybrid of Ives, and Arnold Schoenberg -- but which sounded more like Ives).

The piano, by the way, is a tiny 4-foot (or even maybe 3-foot?) baby-baby grand piano, which still resides in Benton's home in Kansas City. With Benton's classic 'fish-eye lens' treatment of most of his subjects, the geometry of the piano is even further confused (visually), and it only really ever made sense to me once I saw the actual piano in person. I used to live about a mile from Benton's home and studio when I was in Kansas City in the 90's and 00's (for about 18 years).

Fell in love with the painting on my very first visit to the Nelson, but only later discovered who was in the picture (Carl Ruggles) -- whose music I had independently come to love quite deeply (without having had any idea he was the one in the portrait). The title of the painting is "The Sun Treader", but I never took notice of the fine print that identified who the subject was.

One of Ruggles' most important orchestral pieces is also called "The Sun Treader" -- but by the time I heard it, I'd forgotten the exact title of the painting.

When I put 2 + 2 together a couple years later, it was a huge eye-opener, to put it mildly.

[​IMG]

Mini 5-minute documentary on the painting, by the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City (where the painting resides, and is nearly always on display)...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Tuco and EdgardV like this.
  21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Yep, wow, I saw the thread title and thought about Salvador Dali and when I opened the thread... here it is. Love it! What an imagination. :love:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Tuco and GuildX700 like this.
  22. Group of One

Group of One Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Fair Spinner.

I don't know anything about it or the artist. I just came across this one day whilst searching for something else and I caught my eye. And it stayed with me.

23. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Can't really go wrong with Gerhard Richter. To pick one from his massive body of photo-realistic works seems just impossible, let alone his abstracts.
    I picked two realistic paintings, that popped into my mind. First is "Chinon". Saw it in Metz, France in the Centre Pompidou (a branch of the Centre Pompidou in Paris). It's just huge and impressive.
    It just seems to be a another romantic landscape of Richter, but in the very far distance of the foggy horizon there's a hint or indication of the nuclear reactor in Chinon, France.

Gerhard Richter - Chinon (1987), oil on canvas, 200 x 320 cm (79 x 126 in)

[​IMG]

and this one is so close to be an abstract painting, even though it's a photo-realistic one (like many of his seascapes as well)... great stuff!

Small Staircase at the Seaside (1969), oil on canvas, 80 x 100 cm (ca. 31½ x 39½ in)

[​IMG]