Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. arley

arley Forum Resident

I really like the Brandywine school. I have always thought N.C. Wyeth was underrated; many of those book illustrations he did were terrific.

[​IMG]

And if you're in to illustration, there's a great website that treats illustrators as the accomplished craftsmen that they are: illustrators

Tuco, smilin ed and scompton like this.
  2. Those plates on the edge of the table give me anxiety. Awesome painting, it looks like a photo.

[​IMG]

3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'll give another pitch for the Delaware Museum of Art in Wilmington. Their illustration collections if wonderful.

smilin ed likes this.
  4. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

smilin ed likes this.
  5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Karnak, eeglug, Andy Smith and 5 others like this.
  6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

My fav painting is one of the wife and I, her sitting me standing by her side. A heavily forested back drop was added.

MaxxMaxx4 and timind like this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Please end the suspense and post a pic.

drasil likes this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Meatloafs "Bat Out Of Hell" album cover painting! Or Iron Maiden LP covers.....

9. smilin ed likes this.
  10. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Would have to go with anything Monet, in particular, this one:

[​IMG]

11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Love me some Sir Alma Tadema.
    Early on the poor guy got no respect at all sadly, at one point folks bought his stuff just for the frames!!!

It's amazingly sad how the art critic world can crap on and totally dismiss and ruin an artist, I mean, look at this stuff, how in the world could you dismiss this as trash? Well, they did. But not forever.

Imagine that, looking at this, how the hell was he not a hit from the word go? Boggles my mind.

Man if I was there with cash back then I would've bought all I could, from the first moment I saw his works as a kid I was hooked.

Well now days they go for big bucks.

And Allen Funt, yes, remember him, the guy from Candid Camera? He helped change that as he was way into Alma's art.

His ability to strike light and make something look so real was amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just look at the light he casts here, WOW!
    [​IMG]

And how about that marble, looks like a photograph. This is one of my favorites:The Roses of Heliogabalus:
    [​IMG]

This runs a close second for me, The Finding Of Moses:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Lest we forget............... Fragonard!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

He seemed to like women with out stretched arms:)

GuildX700 likes this.
  14. mrz80

mrz80 This page intentionally left blank

Hopper's "Nighthawks". I love the mood (and I loved working graveyard shift :laugh:)
    [​IMG]

I also like that a family friend, noted railroad author John Armstrong, recreated the iconic scene in O scale on his model railroad. :edthumbs:
    [​IMG]

15. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Mc Escher, I still cant find where the stars begin and end. Jackson Pollock, that splatter style can be found on guitars of the 80's.

16. Johnny Rocker

H.R Giger, nuff said....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. arXter

arXter New Member

18. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

My favorite modern piece is this one by Chinese-born now Canadian artist Liu Yi

[​IMG]

The work, titled “Beijing 2008”, depicts four young women playing Mahjong.

The woman with the tattoos on her back is China. On her left, focused intensely on the game, is Japan. Across from China, the one with the shirt and head cocked to the side is America. Lying on the floor is Russia. And the girl standing on the right is Taiwan.

Of China’s visible set of tiles “East Wind” has a dual meaning. Firstly, it signifies China’s revival as a world power. Secondly, it signifies the military might and weaponry that China possesses has already been placed on the table. On one hand, China appears to be in a good position, though we cannot see the rest of her tiles. Additionally, she is also handling some hidden tiles below the table, behind her foot.

Russia appears to be disinterested in the game, but this is far from the truth. One foot hooks coyly at America, while her hand passes a hidden tile to China.

For further synopsis here Beijing 2008, a painting by Liu Yi | The Enigma Chronicle

mrz80, Tuco, BrokenByAudio and 3 others like this.
  19. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Last week of the exhibition of Picasso's lino-cuts at one of our local galleries. Always a contentious character. He certainly polarised opinion. The man seriously wasn't wired right. But.....he had something. Or nothing. Either way, we went. Here's a few examples.

'Nude Woman At Spring' and 'Still Life Under The Lamp' and one of his 2nd wife Jacqueline. Notice Jacqueline has the correct amount of ears, eyes and noses? He might have been a raving ****wit but he knew enough not to piss off the beloved.... (I thought on 'Still Life' I was looking at some sort of triceratops. Or maybe cherries). Not really my cup of tea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuco and Mychkine like this.
  20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I went to the museum of his art in Gruyere. I had no idea it was there when we went there. My wife took one look at the pieces on the outside of the museum and said no thanks. Before going there, every thing I had seen of his was like those you posted, various shades of grey or metallic with slight coloring. Surprisingly, there was quite a bit of works not like that at all. Some with lots of color. They were still as creepy.

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  21. Johnny Rocker

Creepy, but to me its fascinating, and interesting. Some of his material I disagree with, I just dig the Sci-fi look. :righton:

22. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

"Favorite Painting of All Time":
    [​IMG]

23. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I loved this one I saw at The Louvre in the 1990s and I was drawn to it. To my happiness they were giving away calendars and this picture was one of the twelve. I then ordered the print. Unfortunately it arrived to me in Canada in a shortened rectangle version which cuts out the man on horseback. Grrrrr. AND the bloody import duty and taxes cost me three times what the print cost! Oh well.

The Young Martyr by Paul Deloroche 1855

[​IMG]

Mychkine and GuildX700 like this.
  24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

A fav of mine!

25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member