Favorite Psychedelic LP from the 1st era (1966-1975)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samthesham, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

The Trip Caronte (LP 1971, Italy)

[​IMG]

ziagg likes this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I wasn't there so I just keep all ears open (and the brain) as much as I can. I think maybe we can agree everyone in this thread has good tsate in listening. There is so much just from 1965-1971 that needs hearing before I could try and sort anything definitively. Patrick Lundborg identified some of the pre-psych Exotica works that were a sort of proto-psychedelic stretching music... was so glad to see somebody else knew about Tak Shindo and Charles Albertine... and he led me to reconsiderations of artists like Eden Ahbez and Pat Kilroy. Really wish he was still around. :cry:

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

this sure turned into a "name every psychedelic LP for the first era" thread didn't it?

poll poll poll

4. ronm

ronm audiofreak

In order to experience true psychedelia of psychedelic music one needed to be under the influence of psychedelic substances.Its just not the same without it in spite of what one may tell you.Mindblowing is the first word that comes to mind.Most of my experiences were back in the late 70s early 80s.

notesfrom and samthesham like this.
  5. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

6. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

That's how any music can be truly psychedelic... or comic book, or film, or plants, or any day-glo paints under blacklight, or any giant marionette being manipulated from the ballroom balcony... :D

I don't want to promote anything, and there are all different strengths and kinds, but I had this idea once that you couldn't really trust anyone who hadn't had at least one lysergic trip, good or bad... then again I might have been 'altered' at the time I had this thought. :sigh:

8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Amon Düül II Yeti (Improvisation) (Yeti, 2xLP, 1970, Germany)

[​IMG]

tedhead, beccabear67 and bzfgt like this.
  9. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident Thread Starter

Read before posting there is nothing about interviews or texts from that year.

10. samthesham

[QUOTreply white wolf, post: 17696169, member: 3614"]
    What exactly is a Psychedelic LP? For instance, I consider Jefferson Airplane to be Rock. Same for many other bands that are called Psychedelic. Give it a definition.[/QUOTE]
    This repy to your questions will be in 2 posts.
    Obviously you lack knowledge of the counterculture of the 1960s,which is the decade the genre was created.It all started with the surrealistic mind expanding lyrics of one Bob Dylan.Without Dylan the genre probably would never have manifested itself with such power.("Without Bob Dylan the 60s never would have happened "-Bruce Springsteen).Initiated by musicians of the 1960s counterculture Psychedelic music is any style of music with lyrics,content&sometimes art-work and liner notes designed to heighten the effects of hallucinogenic drugs,more often than not lysergic acid diethylemide(LSD).It is also meant to" Free the mind,the body and soul of any constrictions"-Arthur Lee;Evergreen Magazine 1968.There are many Psychedelic bands from the 6Os and to a lesser degree the underground art movement of the 1980s.A effort to revitalize the Psychedelic/Swingin 60s

11. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

My mama always said "psychedelic is as psychedelic does."

notesfrom and Mister Charlie like this.
  12. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Ultimate spinach. Behold and see. A great psych album.

13. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

14. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

15. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Svetonio likes this.
  16. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yes

17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

More narcotic than psychedelic. Thar's a big difference. The Velvet Underground weren't psych
    either, although some of the wilder tracks on White Light White Heat channel full-on
    amphetamine-induced psychosis pretty effectively.

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon (LP 1973, UK)

[​IMG]

SG47 likes this.
  19. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Comus The Prisoner (First Utterance LP, 1970, UK)

[​IMG]

"(...) Comus was one of England's underground bands that dealt with the folk revival from a psychedelic and classical perspective. (...)"

ianuaditis likes this.
  21. samthesham

This repy to your questions will be in 2 posts.
    Obviously you lack knowledge of the counterculture of the 1960s,which is the decade the genre was created.It all started with the surrealistic mind expanding lyrics of one Bob Dylan.Without Dylan the genre probably would never have manifested itself with such power.("Without Bob Dylan the 60s never would have happened "-Bruce Springsteen).Initiated by musicians of the 1960s counterculture Psychedelic music is any style of music with lyrics,content&sometimes art-work and liner notes designed to heighten the effects of hallucinogenic drugs,more often than not lysergic acid diethylemide(LSD).It is also meant to" Free the mind,the body and soul of any constrictions"-Arthur Lee;Evergreen Magazine 1968.There are many Psychedelic bands from the 6Os and to a lesser degree the underground art movement of the 1980s.A effort to revitalize the Psychedelic/Swingin 60s[/QUOTE]

22. samthesham

This repy to your qulesters will be in 2 posts.
    Obviously you lack knowledge of the counterculture of the 1960s,which is the decade the genre was created.It all started with the surrealistic mind expanding lyrics of one Bob Dylan.Without Dylan the genre probably would never have manifested itself with such power.("Without Bob Dylan the 60s never would have happened "-Bruce Springsteen).Initiated by musicians of the 1960s counterculture Psychedelic music is any style of music with lyrics,content&sometimes art-work and liner notes designed to heighten the effects of hallucinogenic drugs,more often than not lysergic acid diethylemide(LSD).It is also meant to" Free the mind,the body and soul of any constrictions"-Arthur Lee;Evergreen Magazine 1968.There are many Psychedelic bands from the 6Os and to a lesser degree the underground art movement of the 1980s.A effort to revitalize the Psychedelic/Swingin 60s[/QUOTE]
    Obviously it failed,but the music just like the music of the 60s has withstood the test of time.My list focuses on what I suggest is the best from 53 yrs of listening,studying,writing&sometimes interviewing musicians of the genre.Growing up in 60s&working in F.M radio 1971-1975 I have heard/owned it all.Simple.Spend $1000.00s on music and make your own decisions.More than likely the music on my list will eventually turn up on the discerning mature appreciators list of essential works from that genre.Peace.

Required Reading;
    1.Ralph Gleason's-Jefferson Airplane & San Francisco Sound(1969)
    2.Tom Wolfe-The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test (1967)
    3.Not Fade Away-The Strange Story of The 13th Floor elevators Parts1&2(Texas music magazine-Fall 1975)
    Suggested Reading;
    1.PSYCHEDELIA-Bantam 1983(I contributed to this text)
    2.Evergreen Magazine(1967-1969)
    3.Hit Parader Magazine-The Return of the Hippies(1981;I interviewed Arthur Lee,Grace Slick&Steve Winwood and we discussed the genre in great detail).

23. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Me too!

The amazing foil cover was the best!

[​IMG]

fairies likes this.
  24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

A classic masterpiece of the U.S. Art Rock, not Psychedelic rock album.

25. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Janus Gravedigger (LP 1972, UK)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fairies likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.