Favorite records you're convinced NO ONE on the forum knows about

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Denti, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Anonymous - Inside the Shadow - "J Rider"

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    kingcrimson1973 likes this.
  2. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Anonymous - Inside the Shadow - "Who's Been Foolin?"

This album is mind blowing. You'd almost think it was a long lost Fleetwood Mac album. Just stunning...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Anonymous - Inside the Shadow - "Up to You"

Everyone needs to hear this album. Everyone.

4. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

5. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Kathi McDonald & The Unusuals
    Summer Is Over
    I'm Walkin Babe
    Babe It's Me

since there is a youtube post I sure some people have heard of Babe It's Me but when she died last year I couldn't even get her hometown newspaper (Bellingham Herald) to do an obit

from allmusic

Kathi McDonald's voice is so riveting, people take notice even when she isn't the main attraction. In fact, the strength of her voice is what landed the vocalist her first big professional gig when she was attending a concert and joined in as part of the audience. McDonald's powerful voice drew Ike Turner's notice in a club called the Winterland, and he invited the aspiring singer to his and Tina Turner's next rehearsal. McDonald had snagged a spot in the Ikettes, the Turners' backing group, without even trying. It was a heady and magical beginning for someone who never had any formal lessons. Born in Washington state in 1948, McDonald performed professionally for the first time around Seattle when she was 12 years old. At the age of 19 she set off for San Francisco and its burgeoning musical climate, where she met the Turners and, through her association with them, took the first step on a career path that would span more than three decades. Not long after the evening at Winterland, her talent caught the attention of Big Brother & the Holding Company's Sam Andrew. McDonald threw her lot in with the band in 1969, leading to appearances on the albums Can't Go Home Again, How Hard It Is, and Be a Brother. She went on to sing with Mad Dogs & Englishmen for Joe Cocker, and later sang with Leon Russell's Shelter People. Her session work included recordings for such artists as the Rolling Stones, Nils Lofgren, Rita Coolidge, Delaney & Bonnie, and Dave Mason. Her work for other musical artists totals up to appearances on almost 150 albums, more than six dozen of which achieved gold status. In addition, McDonald also launched a solo career in 1974 with the release of the album Insane Asylum. The recording was arranged by Pete Sears, whose formal band associations include Hot Tuna and Jefferson Starship. Insane Asylum featured performances by Tower of Power, the Pointer Sisters, Aynsley Dunbar, John Cippolina, Neil Schon, and Ronnie Montrose. Sales were disappointing, however, and the singer did not release another solo effort for 20 years, when Save Your Breath appeared. Above and Beyond followed in 1999, featuring contributions from Lee Oskar on harmonica and Brian Auger on keyboards. McDonald devoted more than two decades to recording and performing in collaboration with Long John Baldry, and the duo scored with their version of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" when it was released in Canada. In later years, she also contributed to the Seattle Women in Rhythm and Blues project. She reunited with Big Brother & the Holding Company in California for a concert on New Years Eve, 1997. She was inducted into the Washington Blues Society's Hall of Fame two years later. McDonald, who resides in the Pacific Northwest, is furthering her education in pursuit of a Master Chef's degree.

6. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I have always liked Kathi's backing vocals on Quicksilver' s Solid silver album

7. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Stoa ~ Urthona, from 1993.

[​IMG]

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I used to order all the Hyperium and Projekt releases for the store I ran. Those Heavenly Voices collections were filled with good tunes.

9. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

+1 for Idaho (got I see them live once)

I will throw the unknown instructors, king black acid, calobo and further (shoe gaze from Los Angeles, not the band with surviving members of the dead) into the discussion...

10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Tanita Tikaram "Everybody's Angel." Distinctive voice. Brilliant songwriting throughout. Produced by Rod Argent.

Miche likes this.
  11. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I loved Plasticland as a teen. They were from Milwaukee in the 80's, and barely into the 90's. Everything they did is worth picking up for any psych fan.

Even more obscure was guitarist John Frankovic's solo record "Under the Water Lily".

Samples of the songs are available here:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/under-the-water-lily-mw0001148339

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  12. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Alvey - Cullen Band - People in Time

original jazz compositions from a New Orleans group

13. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

John Eller & the DT's - Escape Trick

Eller is a cracking guitarist and veteran of the Twin Cities music scene.

14. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Did your store carry this title -Elyria? It wasn't on the Hyperium nor Projekt labels, but closely related to those artists.
    [​IMG]

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Definitely...Faith And The Muse. I ordered all the Tess releases as well.

Laibach likes this.
  16. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

I used to mail-order a lot of the Projekt, Hyperium, Tess and some Cleopatra albums in the mid to late nineties. At that early stage of Web commerce few vendors had online SSL payments, some of the transactions involved faxing or emailing credit card data. Luckily everything went OK and never encountered any issues with these operations, I even corresponded with Sam Rosenthal who took the time to fulfill some of my Projekt orders.

Synthfreek likes this.
  17. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Holy Cow-Suggested Reading LP

18. EasterEverywhere

I think I have most of it,including one of the French 7" s on EMI/Midnight

19. Zepmansam

Zepmansam Forum Resident

Area Code 615 - Devil Weed and Me
    Remember this track played on local underground FM way back. Maybe it was the time and place, but still hits the spot today.
    It's charm is its simplicity and mix of different elements which all seem to work together. Banjo, some smooth electric guitar work with psychedelic accents,
    piano in a county rock package. Nice track.

Some background on Area Code 615
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_Code_615_(band)

thematinggame and drasil like this.
  20. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

The Killers - Good Bye (1972)

* Not the band from Las Vegas.

21. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Strongbow - s/t

[​IMG]

This is the only album by this midwestern rock band, released in 1975. The music is pretty straightforward '70s hard rock but it's got some touches of prog peeking in - there's even an electric trombone! And the musicianship is superb. It was released on a tiny label, Southwind, and surely got no promotion. The only reason I know about them is because a friend who worked at Buddah (the label's distributor) gave me a copy. The music may not blow anyone away, but I've always enjoyed it, and it has a lot of sentimental value to me as well.

drasil likes this.
  22. EasterEverywhere

Everybody here knows about this very enjoyable record featuring Michael Stipe's sister from 1990,right?I have seen it called goth-rock,but to me it sounds a lot like what would have happened had Patti Smith taken an even more experimental prog-rock path.Lynda Stipe-Limner can sound eerily like Patti.Fitting considering what Michael would later do.The band here also reminds me,in places,a lot of what REM would do themselves later in the 90s.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetch_Hetchy_(band)

Cassiel likes this.
  23. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Steve Wynn.
    The suitcase sessions.

[​IMG]

Miche likes this.
  24. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

My favorite ambient album "Black Line", by Drift.

25. I just heard this for the first time a few days ago, and agree it's a pretty amazing album. This song in particular really does it for me; kind of makes me think of Quicksilver Messenger Service with better harmony vocals or something.

kingcrimson1973 and Crazyhorse11 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.