Favorite scenes in comedy movies ...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ben Sinise, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent Thread Starter

It seems that most of you that responded to the thread about movies that you’d re-watch, mentioned comedy films. So, that being the case, what particular scenes in those movies do you recall as being especially funny …

Some of mine...

Take The Money And Run – I really like the scene where a bumbling Woody Allen plays a cello in a marching band; complete with his seat. As the band marches down the street, he sprints up through the players struggling with the instrument and seat, then quickly plonks himself down in the line and plays a couple of notes before the band marches over the top of him; only to have to repeat the process over and over …

Airplane – A nice subtle little twist whenever the scene switches to the outside shot of the jet flying. I didn’t notice it at first, but it cracked me up when I caught on – the sound is the drone of old propeller engines …

The Blues Brothers there’s a lot of scenes to like in this movie, but the one where Jake and Elwood revisit their childhood school/orphanage is an absolute classic. On their “mission from God” they once again meet an old nun (“the penguin”) who proceeds to physically chastise the boys for bad language, only to elicit more of the same from them in the process. It spirals into an outright brawl with non-stop expletives.

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Young Frankenstein "Put-zee-candle-- back!".

Monty Python & the Holy Grail "Swallows & coconuts"

The Producers "My husband was the concierge..."

Blazing Saddles "Where's all the white womens at?"

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

"Planes, Trains, & Automobiles"
    When the the characters (Candy and Martin) are pulled over while driving the burned-out remains of a car, the trooper just does a slow inspection walk around the car without one word.
    "Stir Crazy"
    When two uncooperative imates (Wilder and Pryor) get a new cellmate, Grossberger.

4. Ben Sinise

You're not wrong! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They then proceed to explain that "funnily enough" they think the car is safe :shake:

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

There's this line in the wonderful movie "Beautiful Girls" where Timothy Hutton's girlfriend tells him that his brother and father are "nice" and he replies that they are the farthest thing from nice and that "They haven't liked anyone since Steve McQueen died". I always loved that line. I have seen this movie maybe twenty times and I just love it.

There's also a great line in "Major League" where the guy tells Tom Berenger not to see this woman any more. I can't tell you his response but it's a good one... :eek:

Peace-
    Norm

6. dcooper

dcooper New Member

Animal House - "Over?! Did you say 'over'?!! Nothing is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!"
    "Germans?"
    "Forget it. He's rolling."

7. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

"You can't fight here! This is the War Room!"

:D

8. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

The Big Lebowski - the scene in which The Dude and Walter show up to interrogate the kid whose school paper they found in The Dude's car. When Walter goes outside and starts smashing up the Corvette, i thought to myself, "This is not going to end well".

The Big Lebowski - the scene in which The Dude is riding in the cab and he complains about hearing Hotel California. The indignance of the cab driver was priceless.

9. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Laurel and Hardy in Way Out West when they're trying to break in through the second story of Jimmy Finlayson's house.
    Monty Python & The Holy Grail - "She turned me into a newt" "I got better"
    Revenge Of The Pink Panther - The inflateable parrot.

10. Ben Sinise

Isn't that why this place has the P.M.? :shh:

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The campfire scene in Blazing Saddles: "Can we have some more beans?" "I think you boys have had enough!" :laugh:

The sword fight in Monty Python & The Holy Grail: "Come back here, you bastard! I'll bite your legs off!" :laugh:

The scene in Annie Hall where Woody Allen sneezes into a big bag of cocaine. :laugh:

Evan

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The scenes that go along with these lines:

Duck Soup- "Will you marry me, did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first."

Monty Python & The Holy Grail- "It's only a flesh wound!"

A Hard Day's Night- "She's a drag...a well known drag! We turn the sound down and say rude things!"

The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash- "Nasty, talking to a slightly deaf journalist, had said only that 'The Rutles were bigger than Rod.' Rod Stewart would not be big for another eight years."

Young Frankenstein- "Putttin' On The Ritz!"

Clerks- Dante: "You hate people!" Randal: "But I love gatherings, isn't that ironic?"

Head- "Okay, you guys think they call us plastic now, boy, but you wait'll I finish telling 'em how we do it!"

Blues Brothers- "...without your dry white toast, without your four fried chickens, and without Matt "Guitar" Murphy!"

This Is Spinal Tap- "There's a fine line between stupid and clever."

Dr. Strangelove- "Now Dimitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the bomb...The bomb, Dimitri...The hydrogen bomb."

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

weirdest thing, the radio still works!

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

A Day At The Races - "Get-a you tootsie frootsie ice-a cream..."

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

O, Brother Where Art Thou? - "We thought you was a toad"

Repo Man - A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness

16. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I really get off on just about every scene with the character Monsieur Hulot played by Jacques Tati in the movie 'Playtime'.

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Another great line from Repo Man:

Harry Dean Stanton: "Ordinary f**kin' people; I hate 'em!" :laugh:

Evan

18. Arthur

Arthur Forum Resident

Clerks - Dante Hicks, "I'm not even suppose to be here."
    Cat Ballou - Lee Marvin singing Happy Birthday.

19. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Well, the Young Frankenstein "Put zee-candle back" scene comes to mind.

I would also go for the Big Lebowski scene where Dude is driving his car and drops the roach.

Then there is Life of Brian the "Bickus Dickus" scene.

20. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Duck Soup - the lemonade stand scene

Love & Death - the scene with Napoleon

Airplane - the scene in the sleazy bar that suddenly breaks into Saturday Night Fever.

Lots more I can't think of right now.

Jeff

21. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Too many scenes/lines from Love and Death, my favorite comedy of all time.

"If Jesus was a carpenter, I wondered what he charged for book shelves..."

"Of course there's a God! We're made in his image!"
    "Oh yeah? You think God wears glasses?"
    "Not with those frames..."

"You're the greatest lover I've ever had."
    "I practice a lot when I'm alone."

"Ivan saved string."
    "I know. That's one of the reasons why I loved him."

"Shall we say pistols at dawn?"
    "We can say it...I don't know what it means, but we can say it."

"There are some things worse than death. If you've ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman, you know exactly what I'm talking about."

"You must be Don Francisco's sister."
    "No no, you must be Don Francisco's sister!"

22. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I think it would have been zapped off the PM board too!
    :agree:
    Peace-
    Norm

23. guy incognito

"How about a nice big bowl of sleet?"

24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Just about every sequence in DUCK SOUP!:D

:ed:

25. guy incognito

Bob and Bing in the Klondike bar, in Road to Utopia.

"I'll take a lemonade...in a dirty glass!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.