Favorite stylus type (Poll)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Abbagold, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero Thread Starter

So a poll it is! I guess we can lock down the previous thread. Choose your favorite and let us know why.

2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

For almost everything under the sun, I'm a hyper-elliptical stereophile. It's not super fussy with the VTA, and tracks the inner groove like a reef shark! For archival work, I'll choose anything from a 0.6 conical to get the "good part of the groove" to a micro-ridge for highest detail and resolution.

3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I haven't heard every kind of stylus cut on earth, but the best sound I've gotten from carts have come from AT micro line styluses, but they are a little more demanding of set up. But, I mean, has anyone compared the same cart and cantilever with a Micro Line, a Micro Ridge, a FritzGeiger, a Paratrace, and SAS? There are too many variations of line contact styluses it seems to me, and then too many variables in terms of being able to listen to each of them, for a poll to ever produce a consensus (as if we around here often ever come up with a consensus).

4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I don't have much experience, but considering what I tried so far, I prefer line contact (Nagaoka MP-500 and AT-VM540ML) over elliptical (2M Blue) and shibata (2M Black). Tracks better and sound better.

This poll can be a bit confusing though. A 2M Blue is much better than a 2M Red and both are ellipticals, but the Blue is nude, not glued to the cantilever. Also, the line contact of Nagaoka is different from AT's micro line.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Microridge here

Heckto35 likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

No Paratrace ;^(

7. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Shibata.

8. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Most of the choices have applications that they are best suited for. So no across the board choice from me.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The SAS and the Microridge/Microline are the same thing - I'd merge all 3 into one choice.

You can add these shapes to your poll:

Fritz Gyger
    FG-Signature/Replicant/OCL
    Van Den Hul
    Ogura PH

"Line contact" is a generic term and doesn't correspond to a specific patented shape. What is "line contact" to one cart company could be something different to another.

Heckto35, The FRiNgE and PhxJohn like this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The MP-500 is likely an Ogura and the 540 is a Namiki Microridge.

11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I’ve had different kinds and cannot come up with one that beats all. I think my AT 440mla picked up the most noise.

12. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Agreed. A VividLine on LPGear is and HE on LPTunes.

13. missan

missan Forum Resident

I could vote elliptical; but only if it is a nude 0.2x(0.7-1.0), just as I could vote line contact; which most are, but only if it is a nude 0.2x (xx). The only one I cannot vote is the conical.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

LPG uses the Vivid Line term very loosely. Sometimes it even describes a .2 x .7 elliptical profile. LPT and LPG are owned by the same parent company BTW. Vivid Line is nothing more than meaningless marketing term and does not correspond to a patented shape either.

PhxJohn likes this.
  15. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

The Stereohedron from my old Pickering cartridge sounded warm and mellow, everything I have tried since then sounds more harsh...

PhxJohn likes this.
  16. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Shibata. Have a Ortofon Quintet Black S MC cartridge. It tracks better and sounds better than my previous cartridges (Goldring Eroica, Sumiko BPS EVO III.)

PhxJohn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.