Favorite Summer Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jimbo, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

As a compliment to Claus's music thread on summer songs, what are some of your favorite summer movies? Maybe give us a few ideas for viewing as the season approaches. Here's a few to get started:

Jaws. The one that started the whole idea of summer blockbusters back in 1975. Still generates some thrills after numerous viewings.

Do the Right Thing. Spike Lee's best film, IMHO. You can feel the heat of a broiling NYC summer day reflecting off the sidewalks, even during the opening credits.

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy. Originally I thought this was a minor addition to Woody's canon, but it has grown on me enormously after several viewings. Beautifully filmed and nice ensemble acting. Also, check out Bergman's Smiles of a Summer Night which was clearly the inspiration for Woody's film.

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Thanks for your nice words, but it's very hard to find a summer movie... I have checked my favorite movies but I couldn't found anything... :cool:

So I give you my vote for the movie of the year: THE MATRIX RELOADED

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Too early in the a.m. to think of great movies, so for now I'll pick any Frankie and Annette BEACH PARTY film of the mid'60s. Totally mindless and escapist in all the right ways, a great reminder that not all cinema has to be 'classic' it just has to entertain in its own lowbrow but friendly way. Most of the BP's accomplished this(though as time went on the quality, such as it was, went downhill--most of all without Frankie around). Interesting time capsules, Dick Dale & His Del-Tones, Little Stevie Wonder, Buster Keaton, Don Rickles, Bob Cummings, Harvey Lembeck, and the usual gang of teenage goofoffs. Those were the days....

ED:cool:

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Jaws will always be the ultimate summer movie. It was fun to see it in a theater many summers ago.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I think one could argue Spielberg picked up where Hitchcock left off; I feel the master's scary claws all over it...which is a great thing, because if you're going to borrow, borrow from the best, and Hitch was certainly that. Although there are those who champion some of his later films, I'm not really sure, for pure cinema, he ever improved on this, though there are passages of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, E.T., and his later, more serious films, that are awe-inspiring.

Also worth remembering PSYCHOwas a big summer hit in 1960; and did great in drive-ins, too.

ED:cool:

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Jaws and American Graffiti would be my top picks.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Jaws may owe a debt to Hitchcock, but it is a summer movie both because of its content and its release date.

Regards,

8. stever

stever Senior Member

Two of my favorites are, "A League of Their Own," and "Bull Durham" -- the boys, and girls, of summer.

9. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Bull Durham... what a great flick...

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Perhaps, but I actually think of that one as more of a Christmas movie, since it takes place right around Christmastime. You can even see the streets of downtown Phoenix festooned with yuletide decorations in an early scene. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.