Favorite The Cult Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister Pig, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Mister Pig

Mister Pig I didn't Choose Farm Life It Chose Me Thread Starter

The first album from The Cult I ever came across was Electric. Very odd at first, and then I got it. To this day, thirty some odd years later, I can still get into this. Love all the tracks on it.

Ceremony became my #2 choice. I know Sonic Temple had the radio hits, and there were songs on it I liked also. But it was so mainstream compared to Electric.

In my opinion, its a great band that never had imitators. Spinning Electric now, and its still great stuff.

Cheers
    Mister Pig

2. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Love the Cult. Their later albums are also great. They continue to Rock!

3. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Electric was my 1st serious jolt of The Cult, and a bit of an outlier in the production/sound. Rick Ruben really pulled the AC/DC out of 'em. I saw them open for Billy Idol to support that record, and have seen them several times since. Great band. She Sells Sanctuary is probably my favorite song by them, but Electric is my favorite record top to bottom for sentimental reasons. Time & place.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I know I've written this somewhere else in this forum, but....
    it bears repeating:
    "LOVE!.......obviously!"

leshafunk, Billchi_11, Goggen and 7 others like this.
  5. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

Dreamtime, superb album. A young band honing their collective skills after their earlier outings as Southern Death Cult and then Death Cult.

A compilation album of SDC material exists plus a few Death Cult 12" singles.

Been following this band since Death Cult days, still love them to this day.

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm not very fond of this band, but I simply love Love (that sound funny). A hell of an album.

scobb, DPM, DavidD and 5 others like this.
  7. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Dreamtime, followed closely by Love. I jumped ship after Love, although I like a song here and there from the albums after it.

scobb, polchik, TexasBuck and 3 others like this.
  8. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

9. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

"Love" is the "it" album but I've long preferred "Sonic Temple" and "Electric."

10. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

Loved the first three albums...and was kind of shocked (in a good way) at how different "Electric" was compared to the first. I still have to go with Sonic Temple . That opening salvo of Sun King/Fire Woman just punches you square in the n*ts.

11. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

I think Beyond Good And Evil is an underrated gem. Solid beginning to end. Top 3 for me.

Zomax, BradB, classicrocker and 11 others like this.
  12. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

LOVE.

polchik and 51IS like this.
  13. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Agreed. Very underrated album! It and Sonic Temple are neck and neck for my top Cult album.

Jimmy Agates and ifihadafish like this.
  14. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Electric

15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Electric. Rockin' good fun.

Slice and Motorcity supernaut like this.
  16. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I liked how Sonic Temple was the perfect blend of Love and Electric. A fantastic trilogy, with the odd highlight here and there on their subsequent records.

Saw them a few years ago and Billy hitting the intro riff of "Wild Flower" was possibly the loudest sound I have ever heard.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

A similar thread: Your favorite album by The Cult?

There's also this: The Cult appreciation thread

I rate their albums in this order:
    Love
    Electric
    Dreamtime
    Sonic Temple

(The Best of Rare Cult)
    Death Cult
    Ceremony

(Peace)
    Southern Death Cult
    The Cult
    ("black sheep")

And my favourite song is "The Witch", which isn't one any of these (it's on the classic Pure Cult compilation).

Don't much care for the later stuff, but they are still great live.

scobb and pablorkcz like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

E
    L
    E
    C
    T
    R
    I
    C
    !

Yeah
    Livin' in a shack in a one-horse town
    Trying to get to heaven 'fore the sun goin' down
    Lizard in a bottle, yeah…

scobb, Slice, Bluepicasso and 8 others like this.
  19. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Sonic Temple...or Beyond Good & Evil, which was an unexpectedly great and HEAVY return to form after two hugely disappointing albums.

Electric seriously pissed me off at the time, even though I loved the bands they were ripping off. I mean, why do that, when you have your own fairly unique sound? The eventual 'Peace' version of the album released as part of Rare Cult was vastly superior, IMO.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Sonic Temple

21. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

idk why people are mentioning SDC. There was little or no musical connection, just Little Plum himself. Always viewed them as two entirely separate entities.

No Duffy, no band.

St. Troy, Old Rusty and unclefred like this.
  22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

They did continue to play "Moya", and with the use of variations of the name it seems they themselves saw it as a sort of continuation.

Jimmy Agates and Droogmeister like this.
  23. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Sonic Temple.

On the other hand, I finally picked up The Cult on the cheap the other day, and it is absolutely awful. I doubt I will ever play it again.

24. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

A young band honing their collective skills after their earlier outings as Southern Death Cult and then Death Cult.

Precisely what it says..the connection is glaringly obvious. Ian was honing his vocal and songwriting skills.

You'd offer the same question if a thread about the Sex Pistols mentioned PIL?

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  25. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Electric was the first album of theirs I bought. And it's still my favorite (with Sonic Temple #2).

Slice likes this.