Favorite The Cult Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister Pig, Jul 17, 2018.

1. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's Love. Rather be loved than electified.

vince likes this.
  2. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I love The Cult; they are one of the few bands who can change their sound and style so drastically and still wind up with something I really like. Love was great, Electric and Sonic Temple both moved further away from it, if not erasing it. Their self titled album was such an unexpected about face to everything they'd done before it, and I loved Beyond Good and Evil as well.

I still think Rare Cult is the best box set I've ever bought in terms of content. No album tracks and lots of hard to find and unreleased gems.

3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I love Electric and Love, however, I’m going to cheat because the Dreamtime + Dreamtime live bonus disc (especially the Japanese CD because it’s complete) is my favourite album of theirs. Without the live disc this would be third on my list.

Droogmeister likes this.
  4. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I threw Electic and Sonic Temple into a playlist recently. I have it on regular rotation. Temple has a few gems, but has not aged that well. Production seems a little to polished. Electric on the other hand still sounds fresh and raw - just about every track is a winner.

sunking101 and Man at C&A like this.
  5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Love followed by Dreamtime. I like a few tracks on Electric and Sonic Temple. After that I lost track of the band. Picked up a copy of the self-titled cd in a dollar bin a couple of years ago. Should have left it :sigh:

6. curbach

"The Witch" also appears on the Cool World soundtrack. It's a pretty good soundtrack too.

pablorkcz and c-eling like this.
  7. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Love (1985)
    Blew me away first time and still does.
    Electric (1987) is pretty damn good too...

Man at C&A, Carlox and 51IS like this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

9. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

My favourite band.

In order of appreciation:

Electric
    Love
    Ceremony
    Sonic Temple
    The Cult
    Beyond Good And Evil
    Dreamtime
    Born Into This
    Choice Of Weapon
    Hidden City

Meyer likes this.
  10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Didn't know that, seems that has a CD apperance of the full lenght version, which is only on the vinyl versions of Pure Cult.

Love the video, it was a thrill the few times it came on:

mtvgeneration and curbach like this.
  11. sunking101

You're supposed to play it more than once...
    Seriously though, it's a different approach and my mate can't get past the 'indie' production but I love it. Good bunch of songs and their last great album IMO.

sparkmeister and pablorkcz like this.
  12. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Love > Electric

My top two... that’s really where the discussion is I guess. But those guys have made some really cool records. More than those.

13. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Got started with the Cult immediately after seeing the "She Sells Sanctuary" video on MTV. As much as I like Love, Electric has to be number 1 for me. The alt-rockers suddenly turn into a full-on rock 'n' roll band - I loved it! They were definitely one of my favorite artists in the second half of the 80s. I have most everything they've done, including the 10-disc set of CD singles/EPs and the Rare Cult box. Never managed too score a Rare Cult - Demo Sessions box. Still buy the albums, but the post-Ceremony stuff just doesn't hit me the same way as the 80s material.

14. curbach

All hope is not lost. The album remains in my iTunes library. It may yet connect with me someday :)

sunking101 likes this.
  15. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Electric or Beyond Good And Evil for me. Beyond just might pip it as I love that dropped tuning monster they created.

Can't warm to Love at all bar a few tunes.

Stick with the self-titled though, a good collection of songs, just went off on a tangent after that Electric / Sonic Temple / Ceremony run of rock classics.

Latter day stuff is great too, no bad albums for me. Damon Fox from Bigelf is widening the live sound out brilliantly too on this last tour (guts of 2 years, they need to stop and go in and record a new album, and let Damn get another Bigelf album out too - the best of both worlds for me!)

Munros1969 likes this.
  16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Uncultured slob that I am, I have really only come to appreciate Electric and Sonic Temple. Love just never did it for me, although I think it's probably more original than the later albums. I bought Ceremony back in the day and played it about three times, didn't like it at all.

For my part, I prefer Sonic Temple to Electric. Electric is a great album but it's too derivative. Astbury obviously had delusions of Jim Morrison when he wrote those songs.

17. curbach

You disappoint me ;)

sunking101 and dkmonroe like this.
  18. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

It's always a toss-up between Love, Electric and Sonic Temple for but I'd probably go in this order:
    1) ST (as someone posted earlier, the two opening tracks are an amazing combo)
    2) Electric
    3) Love

That's the way I always describe it as well.

19. sunking101

Not a lot of love for Ceremony here. Wonderland and Sweet Salvation are two of the band's very best songs and Billy is in his most axe hero guise on this LP. It was the end of an era and people talk of the Love/Electric/ST trilogy but Ceremony deserves to be in that group too. Over the years it has overtaken Sonic Temple to become my third favourite Cult album (moving from 4th to 3rd).

St. Troy and jay.dee like this.
  20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

"Wild Hearted Son" is one of my very favorites by the Cult. Just a blinding tune (even if they never figured it out live).

What was the story with Ceremony -- they wanted to work with Bob Rock again but he was knee-deep in the Black Album? I don't know much about Richie Zito, but I don't think he managed to pull a great album out of them in quite the same way previous producers had.

St. Troy and jay.dee like this.
  21. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

This band is in my all-tme top 10, if not 5...

I was introduced to the band via "Electric," which I still love. But "Love" is tops for me. And I'll echo the earlier sentiments about "Beyond Good and Evil" being a great record - still can't believe it was met with a mostly dismissive reaction by the general public. Their last couple of records are really solid, too. I'd say the only missteps in their catalog are "Ceremony" (Zito tried to turn them into Eddie Money), and "Born Into This" (generally misguided and forgettable tunes).

22. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Sonic Temple is the most complete.

twicks likes this.
  23. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I'm trying to get all their stuff. The Peace record really intrigues me. I'm on the hunt for that.

Hidden City doesn't seem to be loved here. I love that record. Just rockin'. Great songs and lyrics. Such a cool record Hidden City. I just got the self titled and i'm just getting into it, not sure. I love Beyond Good and Evil, Rise!!! So rockin'. I have the single with i think an extra track. Great songs and record. The box is something i'm always on the hunt for. I think i need Pure Cult and Cerimony after reading through the posts. Great band. I like the later stuff as much as the early stuff. Still relevant to me. Just great rock n roll is how i see 'em.

24. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Love Electric or Sonic Temple.
    Three cracking albums.

25. sunking101

Digging Choice Of Weapon and Hidden City over Ceremony is a gigantic misstep mate. You need to dig that mofo out again and give it the turntable time it deserves. I agree that Born Into This is weak, but then so is everything that comes after it.

jay.dee likes this.