Favorite Traffic album and song ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baron Von Talbot, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Favorite Traffic album?

"Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory"

Favorite Traffic song?

"Roll Right Stones"

2. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

Favorite albums - Toss up between Mr. Fantasy and Self-Titled. Like all the songs on both albums.

Favorite songs. Heaven is in your mind, Coloured Rain, Feelin Alright, and the live version of Shouldn't Have Took More than you Gave on the Canteen album. I really liked Dave Mason in Traffic. Only a few songs each album but they were always great ones.

I think Barleycorn is a superb album but it doesn't have the warmth of the first two. I didn't like Fantasy Factory in the 70's. Hearing all this praise, maybe I should give it another listen.

3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

:righton:

For whatever reason, When The Eagle Flies didn't get a lot of respect. I thought it was a decent album.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  4. Peace Man

Peace Man New Member

Listening to the MFSL of this very album and that exact song as I type this. lol

5. glea

glea Forum Resident

this is a fantastic album... I like them all to various degrees, but this one was a great way to finish off.. Some of the tracks on this were recorded live, and then overdubs added, including Dream Gerard. The second album is also a high point, some great songs, and a good balance between Winwood and Mason.

I should probably listen to Canteen again. That and Barleycorn suffered from overexposure for me... I've listened to the latter recently and it did sound great...

6. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Is this true? I'm interested since I don't have either. (2003 remastered Shoot Out)

7. Peace Man

Peace Man New Member

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi Wan Kenobi lol

Only one true way for you to find out for you, give them a listen.

If you enjoy the one you have, all the better!

8. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

You read my mind.

:wave:

9. pjr114

pjr114 Forum Resident

Impossible question but

Good to see Traffic get some attention.

An impossible question but ...

Album
    Traffic
    Heaven Is In Your Mind

Song
    Who Knows What Tomorrow Will Bring
    Paper Sun

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Smiling Phases

I will go with John Barleycorn as the album but Low Spark of High Heeled Boys as the song.

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Traffic...wow. Utterly magic band on a lot of levels.

Me 'n my teenage pothead friends listened to Heaven Is In Your Mind (the withdrawn early U.S. version of Dear Mr. Fantasy) a bunch, to be sure; and as a matter of honour and intense loyalty I collected all the rest. Today, the one song most likely to raise the hairs on my neck would be "No Face, No Name, No Number". That flute; that 'Tron; that voice...someone once described Winwood's voice in Traffic as "Ray Charles filtered through a smoky Kathmandu hash den" or summat. :D

We were all big Cream fans too, so when Blind Faith happened we glommed. But, were relieved when John Barleycorn was released; "Glad/Freedom Rider/Empty Pages" - one for the "Perfect Album Side" thread.

As we all doubtless now know, Traffic led to harder stuff - Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Family, etc. :D But I miss those lazy Saturday morns of my youth, setting the needle of the Garrard down on United Artists vinyl, and hearing these words:

...and I flew through a crook in the clouds,
    to a place where Happiness reigned, all year round;
    and Music played oh so loudly...

12. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I got Barleycorn for Christmas when I was 11, so for sentimental reasons as well as musical, that will always be my favorite.

Hard to pick only one song, but just to be a bit different I'll pick No Name, No Face, No Number. Beautiful Stevie vocal on that one.

13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

It is a tie for me between
    the debut album - favorite song: Dear Mr. Fantasy
    Traffic - favorite song - Forty Thousand Headmen

14. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I was just playing Low Spark of High Heel Boys on an old Island/Capitol 8 track, that's my favorite album from them. I used to love Mr. Fantasy too.

Favorite Songs: Many a Mile To Freedom, Paper Sun, Medicated Goo, Light Up or Leave Me Alone, Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory, Heaven is in Your Mind, Shanghai Noodle Factory.

I still haven't heard When the Eagle Flies after all these years...

15. Traffic (followed by Barleycorn)

Dear Mr. Fantasy

16. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

favourite album: mr. fantasy
    favourite song: medicated goo

17. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I love Traffic. I tend to favour more the post-Blind Faith albums to the earlier ones.

Fave albums - Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys
    Fave song - (changes all the time but for today) Graveyard People. :righton:

18. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, last time I made a best of Traffic compilation CDR for myself, I felt the need to include 2 or 3 tracks from the Blind Faith LP.

I know its a different band but it seems to fit nicely in the middle of the Traffic discography. Anyone else feel that???

19. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Everything and I mean everything up to and including John Barleycorn Must Die. A phenomenal body of work.

20. Terry

Terry Senior Member

A man after my own heart.

21. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

My vote- Low Spark...

baxterfunt likes this.
  22. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Favorite album: John Barleycorn
    Favorite song: Empty Pages

23. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

LOW SPARK favorite album, but JOHN BARLEYCORN favorite tune.

24. catman

catman Forum Resident

Favorite album: S/T
    Favorite song: "40,000 Headmen" (silly lyrics and all); 2nd favorite - "No Time to Live" (perhaps a tad melodramatic in hindsight, but I still love it.)

25. More than decent, IMHO. It was kinda the end of the road for Traffic then, I guess.

duggan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.