Favorite vintage or new FM tuner?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

From the 1970's?

2. coopmv

I doubt it. The quality of FM tuners has been on decline since the early 90's. Most receivers these days have lousy tuner IMO ...

3. coopmv

Tube radio is hot ... :righton:

4. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

How can you judge something you've never heard?

5. coopmv

I am going by the published specs and some rare reviews since most reviewers don't bother much with tuners these days ...

6. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

That doesn't mean there aren't any good tuners, only that the reviewers don't listen to radio. Part of that is that good radio doesn't exist in many places, and that most reviewers are in their '50s and '60 and not inclined to listen to what is being played.

Benzion likes this.
  7. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Not sure if I ever did report back on the Accuphase T-100, but it did arrive and has taken up permanent residence in our loft bedroom system with the E-202 integrated, a modded Denon DCD-3300 CDP, a rotation of turntables (currently a Harmon Kardon ST-6, previously Braun PS-500 and shortly to be a Garrard Zero 100S when I get it cleaned and relubed) and B&W DM-14 speakers. Love the T-100. It has fantastic sonics (amazing clean, deep bass) and also excellent sensitivity. I find it handles distant stations really well.

GuildX700 and MATT0404 like this.
  8. coopmv

While there are still good standalone tuners, I doubt many of the present-day receivers have an outstanding tuner due to cost constraints ...

9. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

There aren't that many decent tuners in the marketplace anymore. On the affordable side there's the NAD C347 and Yamaha T500 (NAD is better). There's also the Pro-Ject FM Box (FM only) - no idea how good it is, will not say bad things without hearing it first, but I also have my doubts. On the not-so-affordable side there's the full range of Magnum Dynalab and the beautifully made 47Labs 4730 Midnight Blue (FM only). I constantly keep an eye on the offerings of major audio purveyors on the net, and these are pretty much all I've found. And the 4730 I actually had to look hard for to find, it's only offered by some specialty dealers who don't publicize it much.

6moons audio reviews: 47 Labs Midnight Blue Series »

Oh yes, I forgot - there's also McIntosh for $4,500...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  10. coopmv

Good points and I am in complete agreement. Long gone are the days of 20 - 25 years ago when a modestly priced receiver actually came with a decent tuner. With relentless pricing pressure these days, audio manufacturers cannot afford to pack anything more than an average tuner into a receiver, particularly when most people don't even care about listening to radio broadcast ...

11. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

What are your objectives ? Do you want to listen to every station available to you, or do you want to listen to just a few in your area, but with exquisite fidelity ?

I ask because the answer may affect your choice(s). Most of the good SS tuners are extremely sensitive, and will pick up stations from long distances. However fidelity may be just -ok-. A vintage tube tuner may not be as sensitive, but will deliver a quality of sound that is beguiling. For tubes, I would look at Sherwood and Fisher. For SS, look for totl models dating from the mid 70's to mid 80's- before digital readouts and digital tuning, from Sony, Kenwood, Sansui. Mcintosh are excellent but expensive. Magna Dynalab are supposed to be among the best, but can also be expensive.

In any event, I would investigate a good FM antenna.

12. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Re: The KLH Model 21 FM radio

++++++++++++++++++++++

The KLH Model 21 FM radio ran from 1967 to 1970. In 1970 it was replaced by the Model 21 II version which had black knobs and a black speaker grill. Most people like the first run Model 21 better than the post 1970 versions. The original Model 21 was designed by Henry Kloss.

Scott

Saint Johnny likes this.
  13. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I like my Denon TU 604 CI

14. Benzion

I was talking about new units available for sale from retailers. I'm sure your Denon is great, but I see none of them in inventories.

15. Daedalus

. Well it is a new unit and was available until discontinued about 1-2 years ago. But , yeah, not presently being manufactured.

16. Benzion

Dig the Russian LP photo, we had a lot of them back home, mostly Classical, my mom collected.

Daedalus likes this.
  17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's easy for them to include a rudimentary tuner since the whole thing is available on a chipset these days, so they don't have to engineer one from scratch.

18. Daedalus

Thanks-I have a good collection of them.

19. Benzion

Alas, we left ours with the neighbors back there :-( Schlepping a suitcase of vinyl over the Atlantic was not on Mom's list...

20. Daedalus

Too bad. We are making plans to schlepp over there this year to do river cruise from St Petersburg to Moscow( with a few meanders in between).

Fiddlefye and Benzion like this.
  21. coopmv

Must be the cruise of a lifetime, much better than a typical Caribbean cruise! :agree::righton:

Fiddlefye likes this.
  22. Daedalus

We have been wanting to go to Russia for awhile and yes a trip to relish

23. coopmv

Is a tour of the Kremlin included in the package? :D

24. coopmv

It may be easy for the likes of Sony, which has its own chip-design and fabrication units. But for many other audio manufacturers, they will have to turn to chip makers, which may not want to bother if the volume is not large ...

25. Daedalus

I
    I am sworn to secrecy

Fiddlefye likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.