Favourite David Bowie album cover

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Due to space constraints I could only include the core studio albums (minus Pin Ups) in the poll.

My choices:
    Ziggy Stardust
    Aladdin Sane
    Heroes
    Scary Monsters
    Heathen

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Low. Easily.

ls35a likes this.
  3. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

In no particular order...
    Scary Monsters,
    Low,
    Earthling,
    Station To Station,
    Young Americans.

I've avoided Aladdin Sane as it's way too commonplace these days and will get loads of votes anyway. If pushed I would probably choose Scary Monsters as my favourite. I love the mix of artwork and photography. Young Americans would probably be second as it's such a beautiful photo.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. I'm a minimalist in a lot of ways and that includes album design, but it has to be somewhat innovative and interesting. For that reason I didn't think that Blackstar was all that great. And while I understand the concept of The Next Day cover, I think it's brutal and really bad. I do like the Young Americans cover. For the most part I'm fairly indifferent about his album cover art.

dead of night likes this.
  5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

AS
    DD
    Low
    Heathen

And I'm the weirdo that gave Lodger the vote! :D

6. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Not most folks' favorite, I'm pretty sure....
    [​IMG]

7. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

No order:

Scary Monsters
    Lodger
    Heroes
    Aladdin Sane
    Ziggy

8. strummer101

The next 4...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mother and 926am like this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

10. Haristar

The Next Day and Blackstar were great albums but I find it hard to appreciate their covers. They look like someone could have designed them in two minutes.

MadamAdam likes this.
  11. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Although I love the music on Diamond Dogs (I've been listening to it since my younger sister got it when it was released - she turned me on to a lot of cool music), it's not my favorite, musically. However, the cover design is so bizarre, striking, and just well-designed and well-painted, I have to vote for it as my favorite.

12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Might as well be, but they're powerful images. They work in a way Let's Dance and NLMD, for instance, don't.

Btw, it just struck me that TMWSTW's kick-cover would've been in my top 5 if it wasn't for the dress-cover that most people associate it with. My EMI/Ryko inlay is folded in favour of it. :cool:

13. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Love it. It's totally unconventional and it fits the album perfectly. The gatefold image is even better.

14. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

"Hunky Dory." That cover is sublime. (And I'm one of the rare Bowie fans who isn't blown away by it musically.)

willy likes this.
  15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

In fact, the only Bowie covers I would think to be visionally unappealing are Space Oddity (blue cover), Let's Dance and NLMD. All the others, by and large, rule.

KipB likes this.
  16. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Earthling

17. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

The Man Who Sold The World on RCA

Schoolmaster Bones and mr.datsun like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Is the US MWSTW the 'dress' picture?

19. Haristar

I mean this version:

[​IMG]

20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Oh God. I'm not voting for that.:D

21. eskaton

eskaton Forum Resident

Low has the most visually arresting, vibrant cover art to my eyes...but there are so many close contenders.

The UK cover for The Man Who Sold the World has a lot of sentimental resonance with me as well, though it's not an option in the poll for whatever reason.

I started developing an interest in Bowie's music in earnest when I was about 12 or 13, and came across the album while browsing my father's vast and pristine record collection (which was, at the time, off-limits to me, but he wasn't around and I was feeling rebellious). As soon as I set my eyes on that cover, my jaw dropped. Bowie, reclining seductively on a chaise lounge, with his long hair and Mr. Fish dress, stared back at me defiantly, and for the first time I understood that a man could be beautiful and not just handsome. Shortly thereafter I plunged headlong into Bowie fandom and never looked back.

MagneticNorthpaw and DBMethos like this.
  22. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Hunky Dory.... both front and back :wave:

23. strummer101

I used to have that LP. The cover is...interesting.

24. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"Heroes". It's very Bowie the artist I think with the pose and the two different eyes. I remember sitting with the LP cover as a teenager and looking at it with fascination.

25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Ziggy for me. An alien with a guitar standing on an ordinary, drab street lets us know what we're in for. Honorable mention to the iconic shots on Low and Aladdin Sane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.