Favourite David Lynch film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chronic kebab, Dec 23, 2015.

1. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Mulholland Dr. with Blue Velvet a close second. I enjoy all his films to a greater or lesser extent.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  2. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Blue Velvet, but The Elephant Man is a very very close second.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wasn't 'Blue Velvet' Dennis Hopper's comeback film?

4. Nah. It was Super Mario Bros.

TheVU and Ghostworld like this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I love The Straight Story.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Hate to admit it, but apart from Dune, I've never seen any of his other films. And I must, for I was meaning to see Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive when they came out. One of these days... :p

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Straight Story was just so moving and well done I had to vote for it, even though it is not at all indicative of his standard fare

905, Front 242 Addict and Rocker like this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

My favourite two are Elephant Man and Mulholland Drive, both of which I think are faultless.

I liked everything he has done quite a bit but I hated Inland Empire which seemed to me to be boring self indulgent nonsense with no style or wit. I never want to watch that film again.

10. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Blue Velvet is my favourite Lynch film...but The Straight Story
    is probably his best film, all things considered.

11. My vote goes to Twin Peaks, the whole tv series and then movie was one epic story. But Dune was always a big influence on my childhood, Elephant Man was one of the first WTF moments in movies as a child, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire were sexy... Blue Velvet was cool AF because I have been to some of the places the movie was shot... Lost Highway had a great soundtrack and story. Its really hard to pick one.

Lightworker and Front 242 Addict like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's the appeal of Mulholland Drive, 2 chicks getting it on ?

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, I wonder...........I read the synopsis on wiki, and it sounds like a movie that was never meant to make sense, to the actors or audience.

14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I would say Blue Velvet is my favourite.
    Saw it not knowing what to expect and it was like no other film I'd seen to date. It really stuck with me.

Mulholland Drive may take it over soon since it holds up better upon subsequent viewings.

Yes, much more to it than 2 chicks getting it on, but hard to describe without spoiling what may not make sense anyway.

15. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Maybe for those who don't have access to the internet... For the rest of us, there are plenty of other, easier ways to see "2 chicks getting it on" so that we can judge a film such as Mullholland Drive on other merits.

Craig.

16. townsend

townsend Senior Member

17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That may be true, but it's still the part of the film that sticks out in my mind the most. :D

alexpop likes this.
  18. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Inland Empire is woefully underrated. You really have to view it multiple times to get what Lynch was doing. I think it's a masterpiece and his most uncompromising film since Eraserhead.

It's certainly less accessible than his other work if you dismiss it too quickly or just have problems with "art films".

For some reason, the average American commoner just HATES any art that is challenging or difficult to understand! Surrealism makes the simple folk angry for some reason. But Lynch doesn't make movies for those types of people... Besides, they have plenty of stuff to choose from already. :D

There is a virulent streak of anti-intellectualism in modern culture that abhors artistic pretentious of any type. A shame really. Lynch is one of Anerica's true cinematic treasures. I think he's on par with Jodoworsky, Fellini, Bergman, Bunuel, Arrabel, Antonioni, etc.

"And now it's dark..."

19. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

20. irender

irender Forum Resident

Blue Velvet by a long shot. Eraserhead is different, but I like it.

21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It was voted recently the best film of the 21st Century The 21st Century’s 100 greatest films

SURELY that tells you it is far more than '2 chicks getting it on' and that it's actually a pretty good film, no?????????????

You don't win such praise for nothing. Read Why Mulholland Drive is the greatest film since 2000

This may not be 100% correct - it was meant to be a series, but got cancelled, so Lynch used the footage already done to assemble the film. His genius is creating something that works as a whole (helps it is a Lynch film so some things don't need to make sense).

I think it's stunning visually, the actor is just superb, the dialogue great and the plot, without any spoilers, is brilliant once you get it. It's a film you have to see though.

Very rewatchable.

Front 242 Addict and kevywevy like this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think that poll is pretty funny, actually
    But I am very certain that you would not like the movies that we like, so there's nothing to discuss here, we're on different poles:shrug:

23. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Eraserhead. Highly entertaining, and I think the black and white cinematography is superb. (A good double-feature would be Ereaserhead and Barton Fink. Many homages to the former by the Coens in their film, not the least of which is Turturro's hair.) I have not seen Mulholland Drive, but will add it to my list.

24. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Oops. Looking for it at the local library site, I just discovered I did see it. I guess it didn't make a big impression at the time.

25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

It's a toss up between Fire Walk With Me and Mulholland Drive. I need to rewatch the Elephant Man and Lost Highway because I haven't seen them in many years.