Favourite Godzilla films!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

The recent issue of the re-vamped Famous Monsters of Filmland is all about Godzilla and his friends and their flicks. Some of you may want to check it out.

2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree that Godzilla should have won that battle, no contest.... but I believe the scene you're referring to with the evil doctor getting crushed is actually from King Kong Escapes. ;)

3. Watching "CLOVERFIELD" right now for the first time in quite awhile and so far IMO its a more original attempt at bringing Godzilla to NYC.

Of course we all know that it's not an official "GODZILLA" picture....:winkgrin:

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

It was based on a friend of mine.

5. Scott Wheeler

Godzilla didn't lose the fight to King Kong.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

who?:D

7. Rocker

You're correct, the fight basically just ends in a draw.... although I think the point that guppy270 was trying to make (and which I agree with 100%) is that it shouldn't have been a draw at all.... Godzilla could have easily kicked the living snot out of Kong. ;)

8. Got a couple new ones this week making my collection:

Godzilla (Godzilla, King of the Monsters) [1954]
    Godzilla Raids Again [1955]
    King Kong vs. Godzilla [1962]
    Mothra vs. Godzilla [1964]
    Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster [1964]
    Invasion of Astro-Monster (Godzilla vs. Monster Zero) [1965]
    All Monsters Attack (Godzilla's Revenge) [1969]
    Terror of Mechagodzilla [1975]
    Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla [1994]
    Godzilla vs. Destoroyah [1995]
    Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla [2002]
    Godzila: Final Wars [2004]

Have only watched "GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA" of the two new ones but man, did I like it! :thumbsup:
    Everything about it was just great and I love that in the newer films the battle scenes take place A) at night and B) amongst city buildings.
    The mid-60s films seem to always have battle scenes in broad daylight out in the mountains just outside of the city.

I much prefer the later battle scenes.

Looking forward to checking out "GODZILLA: FINAL WARS" this weekend. :righton:

9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Voted for Terror of Mechagodzilla [1975], but then again, I'm biased.

10. I still have to get that one!

Can you explain your bias?

I realize your username is related but is there a story behind that?

11. Watched "GODZILLA FINAL WARS" last night and although I really could have done without the "MATRIX" elements, I really enjoyed this movie.

Seeing all the various monsters appear was exciting (and I'm new to the canon) and of course a nice touch was seeing a monster that looks just like a certain star of the North American 1998 "GODZILLA" get beat down.

I had to rewind the scene where Godzilla N.A. first appeared just to make sure I wasn't seeing things!

12. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I've been watching Godzilla movies since I was about 6 years old; courtesy of mid 70's after-school movie programming. Probably seen every one of these at least 5 times and some more than that.

I voted for Godzilla Vs. Mothra (aka Godzilla Vs. The Thing), it's one of the classiest of the bunch.

My favorite when I was a kid was Terror of MechaGodzilla, probably because it was one of the darkest in tone.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: Hykeba!

14. I had never heard of Matanga and an IMDb search came up empty as did a Google search, it is listed on IMDb as Matango (Attack of the Mushroom People) and it does sound like something I would like.

15. Yes...Matango is the correct spelling. It is an excellent, creepy film, with sexual and psychedelic elements that make it unique.

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Waiting for the Fog to burn away

My favorite is Godzilligan's Island, a fictional mash-up offered up in Pynchon's Inherent Vice.

17. Just picked up the double feature: "RODAN" and "WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS".
    Am watching the first one tonight.

Still want to get a few more of the better Godzilla movies though!

18. Rocker

apparently Tokyo Shock will be releasing new DVD editions of Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs. Megalon this fall..... how awesome would it be for these two films to finally have a proper DVD release?

:goodie::goodie:

19. I just picked up:

-"GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH" (1991)/ GODZILLA AND MOTHRA: THE BATTLE FOR EARTH" (1992).

-"GODZILLA, MOTHRA AND KING GHIDORAH: GIANT MONSTERS ALL-OUT ATTACK" (2001).

Lookign forward to checking these out!

20. Watched both of these, I like it that they're combined in one package.

I thought both had some very good battle scenes but the scenes with humans were brutal.
    In both films they went on for far too long and the acting/dialogue was moronic.

Plus what was up with that "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK" opening to "GODZILLA AND MOTHRA"????

Jesus.....

21. Rocker

Anyone picked up Tokyo Shock's new DVD of Destroy All Monsters yet? I'm really looking forward to grabbing this one ASAP, if I can find it anywhere. My local HMV doesn't even have a listing for it in their system, though (??)... so I guess I'll have to search elsewhere.

Here's a review:
    http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/a-d/destroyallmonsters68.htm

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watching Raids now

23. Scott Wheeler

Yeah I have it. It is the one to own. So nice to have the better soundtrack.

24. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Note that the original had been released earlier this year by Criterion on Blu-Ray.

1.jpg

25. Rocker

Godzilla vs Megalon was also released on DVD back in August by Tokyo Shock, and Godzilla vs Biollante was just released on DVD/BR earlier this month.... which leaves Godzilla 1985 as the only film in the series still MIA. :)

Scott Wheeler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.