Favourite Godzilla films!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Thanks!!! This is important news for a Godzilla geek like me. Although given the jump to BluRay I wonder if DVDs are something I want to continue to buy. What am I saying? Duh. Off to find Godzilla vs. Biollante.

2. Scott Wheeler

Turns out the new Godzilla vs. Biollante is also available on Blu Ray and Godzilla vs. Megalon will also be available on Blu Ray.

3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

I haven't come across the Biollante disc anywhere yet, but it's definitely near the top of my "must-buy" list too. :) It was released by Miramax, so I have no idea what the quality might be like.... hopefully it will be in widescreen and have the original Japanese language track, like all those nice Tokyo Shock releases did. :)

4. jsz1002

jsz1002 Forum Resident

The new dvd/blu-ray is not released by Miramax, but rather Echo Bridge. I own it (the blu-ray). It is in it's original aspect ratio and presents the original Japanese track in DTS-HD MA 5.1 and DD 2.0. It also includes the american dub in DD 1.0. Also, it includes two featurettes that were previously on the Japanese release.

5. Rocker

Sounds good to me! ;)

6. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

7. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

The Biollante blu-ray is currently just $7.99 on Amazon-I hope more are to come! Some of the previous mid-period DVDs are getting pricy

8. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Voted for "Son Of Godzilla". The baby is really cute. :)

[​IMG]

9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I got mine at Best Buy for $7.99.

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The original is the best movie, King Kong Vs. Godzilla is the most fun.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

after all these years the first one is my favorite...still.:)

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Raids is pretty dull

13. Rocker

I've always had a soft spot for Godzilla Raids Again, just because it one was of the first few entries in the series that I ever saw as a kid. Back in those days (long before the films were readily available on DVD), the only real chance you ever had of seeing any of the Godzilla films was if they were being shown on TV, and even that only seemed to happen on a rare Saturday morning once in a blue moon. And if you were really, really fortunate, you might have lucked out and came across a VHS copy of one of the titles in a bargain bin somewhere, which is how I came to own a Video Treasures copy of Godzilla Raids Again (under the title Gigantis the Fire Monster, of course, being the North American version). For a long time it was the only Godzilla film that I had an "official" copy of, although years later I was able to obtain a few more titles on VHS by special-ordering them from a local video store. Even if it's not your favourite entry in the series, the DVD edition of Raids is pretty sweet, as it contains both the American and Japanese versions of the film, plus a very interesting & informative audio commentary. :)

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Scott Wheeler and Marc 74 like this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Is there a dvd of the original
    Japanese version of DAM out ?
    R2 ?

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Anyone see the new Blu-ray
    two-fers ?

good quality ?

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought Destroy All Monsters was one of the funniest films I'd ever seen when I caught it on an afternoon bad movie show in the 1970s. Hilarious film. Each creature is stupider than the next.

The original Japanese language Godzilla is actually not a bad film, particularly with the original dialogue and without Raymond Burr. There's a lot you can buy from a 1950s film that's hard to take 50 years later.

18. John54

John54 Senior Member

Did I read somewhere that the next films would be a trilogy, named Tokyo for Breakfast, Paris for Lunch and New York for Supper? :D

19. Rocker

We really need a DVD release of Godzilla 1985... it's the only title in the series still unaccounted for!

It's also mystery why the original Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla hasn't been released yet, when all the other classic-era films have gotten really nice DVD treatments. The American cut is vastly different, with large chunks of footage removed and new scenes with American actors added (similar to what was done with the original 1954 Gojira).

And while we're on the subject of kaiju films that are MIA, how about Ishiro Honda's Gorath?

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The Monster that Devoured Cleveland

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

Then there's always The Eggplant That Ate Chicago. Maybe the sequel is Godzilla Tries Vegetarian?

22. Rocker

Just stumbled across this, might be of interest to Godzilla fans... the original Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla !!

This version has never been released in North America on any home video format (that I'm aware of)... it's vastly different than the American cut, which is probably the version most of us are familiar with. This Japanese version really needs a DVD release over here!

23. Scott Wheeler

There is an American DVD that has both versions. I think the new BluRay has both versions too.

24. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

For more recent Japanese Godzilla movies check out Godzilla 2000. This was Japan's answer to our horrible 1998 Godzilla flick with Mathew Broderick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.