Favourite Olivia Newton-John Album Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I do kind of understand what you mean about 'Totally Hot', though.. At the time it was seen as a groundbreaking album for her, but on reflection she was hedging her bets. Almost half this album could have been on her previous 3 albums. 'Borrowed Time', 'Never Enough', 'Dancin' 'Round And 'Round', 'Boats Against The Current' etc.

You couldn't say this about the songs on 'Physical' and 'Soul Kiss'.

2. Bobby Morrow

It would make a stunning SACD. As we've said before.

kingrommel, bru87tr and Jarleboy like this.
  3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

My vote is

Have you never been mellow - her classic country record
    Come on Over - fantastic MOR LP
    Don't Stop Believin' - yet another fantastic MOR LP
    Physical - one of THE best pop albums of all time
    Gaia - her great later day masterpiece. Her Time Out of Mind if you like.

Of course Xanadu has the best songs and vocals of her career and it's sad not been able to vote for Sordid Lives the Series OST, a jawdropping shock of a listen to any casual ONJ fan.

kingrommel and Jarleboy like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

I loathed the 'Sordid Lives' movie and TV series. One of her worst acting performances. You'd think after living in the US for 40 years she'd be able to do an American accent!

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I absolutely love Sordid Lives. Funny as hell yet with some touching moments and I think Livvy does a great job. Plus I absolutely love her songs. Can't comment on the quality of her texan accent though.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I could not agree more, on both counts. Love the music, love the performances, love the sound. The perfect package, in my book. (Same applies to the "Xanadu" tracks, as far as I am concerned.)

kingrommel, Jrr and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Jarleboy

From Your lips to someones ears... It would be one of my most eagerly awaited SACDs. It may astound you that she is even ahead of Cliff in that queue - his CDs sound good, but "Totally Hot" sounds amazing.

8. Jarleboy

I agree with you, as usual. But I think that is one of the strengths of the album - combining the old and the new. You have the uptempo poppier/rockier songs, and the good old ballads that she does so well. You never really saw that mix again on an Olivia album, or at least not to the same degree. Just my five cents. :righton:

kingrommel and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

1. Totally Hot (definitely her strongest album)
    2. Don't Stop Believin' (the best culmination of what she was trying to achieve in her pre-Grease days)
    3. Physical (a great album that is marred somewhat by an intrusive modern production)
    4. Clearly Love (a wonderful, short forgotten little album hiding precious melodic jewels)
    5. Olivia Newton-John (a solid debut, admired more for its lovely album tracks than its often-picked singles)
    6. Have You Never Been Mellow (her first real album statement, but a little long in the tooth)
    7. Making A Good Thing Better (a couple real duds included, but Side 2 is pure Olivia mellow magic)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    kingrommel, Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Jarleboy

A very good summation, I feel. I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you write. I do miss the "Xanadu" tracks, which I find to be among her very best. (Imagine a SACD with all the "Totally Hot" tracks with the six tracks from "Xanadu" with Olivia vocals added... My mouth waters.)

Like to see you include "Clearly Love". It is not one of her best albums, I think, but I agree that there are quite a few minor gems on it. And I love them.

"Come On Over" sports great sound, and a lovely ambience, but is too ballad-Heavy for my liking. Still, indiviudal tracks are good.

kingrommel and yesstiles like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

'Making A Good Thing Better' is a ballad-heavy album, but it feels lighter, somehow, than 'Come On Over'. Despite having 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' on it...
    MAGTB would make a great SACD, though I suppose it's one of the last ones they'll consider for the format.

Chris_Sydney and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

I think it was deliberately made that way. It came out a few months after Grease and there was no guarantee the public would take to the 'rockier' Olivia. If 'A Little More Love' had flopped, there were a few strong ballads they could release to 'save' the album.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow...interesting list. Glad some like her later offerings. Physical would be second for me, with none of the others in my top five. I love the song Don't Stop Believing though.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

'Soul Kiss' and 'The Rumour' seem to be very popular amongst the newer fans. It's a world gone mad.:D

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I can't imagine her label not getting goosebumps after hearing....it had hit all over it. I think it's her best song, which is saying quite a lot. Lots of good material on that album for sure...a real good mix of material.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And the fact you have managed to keep us still responding to this thread after all this time is proof!

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Just get it on vinyl via MFSL. Its stunning. I have around forty MFSL titles on vinyl amd Totally Hot is a top five for sound quality. And, it isn't that expensive. I just sent an extra copy to a forum member who just wrote me that he agrees. A near flawless recording. Anyone who has only heard the domestic MCA vinyl hasn't heard it at even close to its potential. A disgrace compared to the MFSL. I Don't like CDs but admit that album sounds pretty decent on cd.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Have you seen the Olivia Yay or Nay thread? It's on it's 92nd page.:D

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The MCA cd of "Totally Hot" is indeed a keeper, but my regular MCA tan LP of "Totally Hot" is truly marvelous. I must have gotten a great cut or something. It's the best-sounding ONJ LP that I own. I haven't heard the MFSL, but would be interested to hear how much better it is. But frankly, I can't imagine it being too much better.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Jarleboy

I think you re right. Too bad.

kingrommel and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Jarleboy

So add good marketing to the many virtues of "Totally Hot". :righton:

Jrr, kingrommel and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Considering the album was kind of rushed out, they did a fantastic job with it.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The MCA issue is more that they seemed to make it a mission to find the worst possible vinyl to press their records on. If you have a quiet copy then I'm sure it sounds great. However, as the guy that got the MFSL from me said, he has noticed elements in the recording he never noticed before. If you were ever curious about their product, that is a great one to start with.

24. Bobby Morrow

The only import MCA LP I had at the time was 'Soul Kiss'. It was a sealed copy, but sounded like it had been played a thousand times. Don't know if I was just unlucky... It's to be hoped they weren't all like that!

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Olivia sure released a lot of albums in the early to mid seventies.

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.