Favourite Olivia Newton-John Album Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

When she got to America she often did 2 albums a year. They worked her like a dog there.:D

bob60, kingrommel and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

It sounded like it had been played a thousand times? Who in their right minds would play that album a thousand times?!?
    (In case you wonder, I am having my little joke. Very tiny, actually.)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

It sounded BAD. I couldn't believe a new LP played so poorly. Luckily I managed to get the Mercury CD a few weeks later.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident

You maybe have a bad press. I got both the MCA and Mercury versions and both are probably the clearest of the ONJ vinyls I have so far.

The Mercury one was brand new but tight shrinkwrap for 30 years... had warped the LP so that my needle looks like it's surfing! Still plays despite looking silly when played :D

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

I think I was just unlucky. I had to buy the US import back then as 'Soul Kiss' was released 4 months later in the UK.:yikes: I couldn't wait that long.

Have you played any of @Jarleboy's CDs yet?

kingrommel and Jarleboy like this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Rushed? Really? Doesn't sound that way! There is some serious production going on there. If John Farrar banged it out quickly he's even more talented than I thought. Who else has he produced? I need to check out his other work. Other than his own album....I think you already forced me to buy that stiff of an album...lol!!

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

'Totally Hot' was recorded in July 1978 whilst Olivia was running round promoting Grease and preparing for a world tour. It was released in November of that year. Pretty fast turnaround.:)

I love John's solo LP, but I think he was pretty much 'exclusive' to Olivia. I don't know if he worked with anyone else much.. He did write a song for Cher in the early 80's, 'I Paralyze', which is a bit 'Tied Up-ish' and of course he had a song on Karen Carpenter's solo album.

John Adam and kingrommel like this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Ha! Maybe he got a bad presssing? You can bet on it! I think MCA went out of their way to find the worst vinyl possible back then, especially anything with that ugly tan label! What I don't get was why their artists put with it. Why go to all the trouble to make a great album and then your label uses regrind and who knows what else to press their vinyl. I got even more upset when I started buying ONJ and Elton John albums out of Japan....do that and you will really hear how bad that MCA garbage was! I just located an MCA half speed audiophile edition of Physical. That pressing isn't even that great....they should have allowed it to be pressed by another vendor like they did for the MfSL of Totally Hot.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, like another thread was discussing, I need to give John's solo album three plays before I decide. Sometimes things just don't resonate on the first listen, especially since you seem to enjoy it so much. We seem to have similar tastes.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That was pretty standard for MCA artists. But Elton John thrived under that pressure. I think Olivia would have had better albums if she could have cut it back to one per year. It really isn't easy to make great music!

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

He's not an especially distinctive singer. A bit like a poor man's Barry Gibb.:D Good songs mostly though, like 'From The Heart', 'Reckless', 'Tell Someone Who Cares' and the ones Olivia recorded later, of course

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Or she could have tried different producers for each album. That may have helped give her a fresher sound..

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Yeah, I shelled out quite a bit of money for that half-speed-mastered edition of Physical when it was new. Felt like I had totally wasted my money on it, as it didn't sound much better than the standard edition at all. I think it was all hype. I loved the MFSL edition of Totally Hot, though, and wished for more titles to be issues through them.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Didn't think of that..that would have worked. But then again it probably would have really effected her relationship with John. And he did some great things for her, especially later on.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I will play it again tomorrow. As a big fan of Barry, maybe it will grow on me.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

I assume they didn't have a lot of time to think! 2 albums a year, plus Olivia was constantly touring and doing TV work. Not a lot of breathing space...

On reflection, one solid album per year would have probably been better for her career, but at least we have all those records now. I wouldn't be without any of them.

Jarleboy and Chris_Sydney like this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

True...there are good songs on all her albums, and each seems to have it's own vibe.

18. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

This was the only ad I saw for the album. And I didn't see this until this year!:D

Chris_Sydney and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow...really cool. Thanks!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

It was song4u who posted it originally. I think it was from Billboard.

21. Bobby Morrow

Olivia finally added her voice to the song 'Reckless' on her 2008 album 'Celebration In Song'. See if you like it any better with her voice on it.:D

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"John Farrar" took me a couple listens to appreciate. But I love it now.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Yes, it's worth persevering with.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

LOL, I didn't know there were this many people ever even listened to an ONJ LP. But I had to go with "Physical".

Jarleboy and kingrommel like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sounds like
    Sounds like a Cliff Richard song! I think it is a decent album track and ceetainly more listenable with her on it. I am pulling out his album to give it another listen. Her voice sure sounds different now!

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.