Favourite Song from George Harrison's 'Gone Troppo' album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbone828, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet Thread Starter

Although often regarded as his worst album, there are still a few gems on George Harrison's 1982 Gone Troppo album. What is your favourite song from the album?

2. helter

helter Forum Resident

Dream Away

dbone828 likes this.
  3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

"That's The Way It Goes".

Not a favorite George album of mine.

4. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

The album gets a bad rap! I like it better than Extra Texture and Dark Horse.

dbone828, dylankicks and ralph7109 like this.
  5. helter

helter Forum Resident

That would be Somewhere in England

6. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I have a soft spot for "Wake Up My Love." To my ears, it sounds like a sincere stab at a hit, and if George hadn't burned so many commercial bridges by this point in his career, it might have been.

7. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Dream Away, but I still prefer the Time Bandits version.

8. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Title track for me. I know this album is held in low regard by many, but I really like it. I can listen to it on a summer day like today and I get that vibe that I'm sitting on the beach with a nice drink. The album really creates a feel for me. never understood the hate on it by critics. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but a fun, enjoyable album IMO.

dylankicks and bagofsoup like this.
  9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

No way. I don't think SIE is good, but I like more songs from it than I do from GT.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

11. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet Thread Starter

Nice to see that others here also disagree with the critics and don't think that Gone Troppo is George's worst album. In my opinion, that "dishonour" clearly belongs to Electronic Sound. After that, I would say Wonderwall Music, and of his standard studio albums, I think Somewhere in England is probably his weakest, followed by Dark Horse. I would put Gone Troppo about even with, if not slightly ahead of Extra Texture.

tagomago likes this.
  12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Well, singling out the non-studio LPs like "Electronic Sound" or "Wonderwall" is too obvious.

I feel funny defending SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND because it's not very good, but it still has the big hit "All Those Years Ago" on it, as well as "Teardops", "Life Itself" and "Baltimore Oriole".

Carlox and bagofsoup like this.
  13. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Hmmm - question is not that simple, as this is NOT his worst album (would have to agree, that the re-jiggered / released SIE or even Dark Horse may be contenders for that distinction), but also because it's really hard to choose between Mystical One, Unknown Delight and That's The Way It Goes (which i think George had a real fondness for). So my vote, if i can only choose one, would be Unknown Delight, but under protest!

14. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Agreed - and above Somewhere in England.
    It lags behind the rest though.

dbone828 likes this.
  15. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

"Wake Up My Love" but it's really a bland album.

16. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Maybe this is a cheat, but the CD contains the demo version of Mystical One. It is so lovely as a spare, unadorned acoustic number.

The upbeat, arranged album version ruins a delicate tune.

RayS likes this.
  17. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Unknown Delight. One of my favourite George songs, period.

pantofis likes this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I chose "Dream Away." I like this album and although it gets panned, I think it's one of his better albums as more time passes.

dbone828, vince and Musician95616 like this.
  19. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Dream away, mainly due to its association in having a real good feeling after watching Time Bandits. That, said I do like quite a bit of the rest of the album better than the stuff that came either side.

dbone828 likes this.
  20. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Well, that makes TWO of us!

jl151080 likes this.
  21. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I like Gone Troppo a lot. I voted for Unknown Delight, but I could just as easily voted for Greece, Gone Troppo, Wake Up My Love, That's the Way it Goes, or Circles. Yes, Circles.

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

My memory is that the song "Dream Away" is played over the closing credits of the film. I distinctly recall staying in the movie theater and making sure to watch the credits to the very end.

Was that song featured anywhere else in the film, or only at the end?

dbone828 and theMess like this.
  23. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Only at the end. To me (and a few others) it's a far superior mix version to what was included on this album. I was really disappointed when I bought the album and found that he had done revisions to the recording that was used in the film. For whatever reasons he found, every time George futzed with an earlier recording and released an updated/remixed version, it always ended up inferior to the original. :sigh:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  24. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Same for me. That's The Way It Goes is runner-up.

Otherwise, besides Electronic Sound this is by far my least favorite of his albums. Perhaps without the 80's synths and production it could be turned into something I would enjoy much more.

dbone828 and Chuckee like this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks. That's how I remember it, when I last saw the film all those years ago.

theMess and applebonkerz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.