"Feats Don't Fail Me Now" Rhino (180g) June 24th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Schoen, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!! Thread Starter

Saw this for pre-order yesterday. I see Rhino has 180g pressings of their other albums also.
    Who has done the mastering on these? Are they Analog sourced? Thanks for any info.

2. Chris Schoen

Bump - Does anyone have a Rhino 180g Little Feat album?

3. Chris Schoen

Afternoon bump. :wave:

4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

5. Chris Schoen

Received this info. from Dr. Rhino: "Cut from the 192/24 digital archive of the analog flat master by Ian Sefchick at Capitol Mastering"
    I have some digitally sourced vinyl that sounds great, hope this is one of them.

sennj and bibijeebies like this.
  6. bibijeebies

Thanks for the information, but why did they stop with using Chris Bellman?

7. bibijeebies

Thanks for the information, but why did they stop with using Chris Bellman?

8. Chris Schoen

I don't know. This new 180g pressing (due June 24th) is what it is. Hopefully, it will sound as good, if not better than my original pressing.

9. bibijeebies

I have a 1st UK pressing and it is not bad.
    This is the album that had them playing in the studio at an unbelievable level.

No band comes close!

10. Chris Schoen

Yeah, It's got "everything". :agree:

bibijeebies likes this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I've got an original pressing that sounds great. Will wait for the reviews. Phenom album..

Joti Cover and bibijeebies like this.
  12. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

I'd be interested in this as well. Also have The Last Record Album released the same day.

13. Chris Schoen

Yeah, if the Feats Don't Fail Me Now sounds better than my original pressing, I may get The Last Record Album as well. Love Little Feat!! :agree:

rstamberg and sennj like this.
  14. Chris Schoen

Got this yesterday. Nice clean, flat pressing. Vinyl is quiet, mastered nicely, sounds like a flat transfer. I would say this is as good, if not better than my original pressing. :righton:

rstamberg, sennj and DaverJ like this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I might have to pick his up too. My original got damaged in a flood in 1990. The cover got damaged but the vinyl survived. I've been wanting a replacement copy but used copies have been rare and finding one in better condition than my copy has proved difficult. I may give this reissue a chance. This was my intro to The Feat so it has a special place in my heart.

rstamberg likes this.
  16. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Would you post the deadwax info of your original pressing, is it green WB or Palm Tree WB? I have a US pressing that I like would be curious to see if it has the same deadwax info as yours.

JG

17. bibijeebies

James,

there is no green vinyl of 'Feats Don't Fail Me Now'.

18. James Glennon

You're right, I was mixing it up with Dixie Chicken. I have a 1A/1A pressing of Feats Don't Fail Me Now with all the misprints on the back of the sleeve. It is in absolutely mint condition. I have had my query answered on another thread on my query. This new reissue was mastered from high resolution digital files by Ian Sefchick at Capitol Mastering. He also did the most recent Van Morrison reissues. This is his signature in the deadwax, a stylized I with the S at 90 degrees.

[​IMG]

I also have the Practical HiFi Nimbus Supercut LP as well and to these ears it is bloody awful.

bibijeebies and Chris Schoen like this.
  19. Chris Schoen

Mine was a Palm Tree WB, I think. Gave it to a friend, the new one is better...

rstamberg likes this.
  20. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

Thanks for that, will order the Rhino now instead of bidding on the Nimbus.

21. James Glennon

Here's a link to a discussion on the forum about them from a couple of years ago...

Is nimbus super cut LP really that good? »

JG

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This is the third thread regarding this album I've seen.

23. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

Thanks for that, got my Rhino on the table as I write. Sounds great so far.. Flat, hole is perfectly central, quiet background. Not a straight A/B, but slightly better percussively than my early Uk of the Last Record Album, which is an A2B1 Uk Press with the dished centre, no useful info in the dead wax. I should recognise that dished label though, which bizzarely enough was used by Nimbus for contract pressings in the 80s, the last but one generation of Lyrita lps have them, and I was able to deduce from a large collection of those and my own searches that they did not always put Nimbus stamps in the dead wax. I am guessing that they bought the machinery from a closed down other plant.

I have no use whatever for the download code, if it is OK to pass it on, just PM me, first come 1st served, probably helps if you are in the Uk in case it is territory sensitive.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  24. James Glennon

Thanks for the info about the reissue. UK Little Feat LPs are crap compared to their US counterparts. I used to have all original UK versions but over the years I have replaced them with US originals.

JG

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That has convinced me to put Nimbus up for sale. Never impressed by sound but remains only LF I haven't got another copy off. I think the only US I have got (exl MFSLs) is Dixie Chicken and that really sounds good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.