Fed up with graphic violence on TV!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mrwolk, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting! Thread Starter

I have noticed that there is more graphic violence on TV...not a movie that’s airing on TV..but programming made for TV. I was looking forward to the reboot of DasBoot that is currently airing on Sky Atlantic in the UK...(will air on Hulu in the US) The first couple of episodes were engaging...then in the third episode there was a scene of a gang rape..that was quite graphic in words and action. I immediately changed channels and i was embarrassed that my wife was also watching the show with me. Next week there is another mini series airing on Sky Atlantic..an Italian production titled “Il Miraccolo”...the Miracle. I watched a trailer that is available online that runs for 2:07 minutes...half way through i was put off by the violence!
    It’s a shame...an interesting storyline ruined by scenes to graphic in violence..at least in my eyes!
    No wonder I keep tuning in TCM!

unclefred, rd1, Brian Mc and 9 others like this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Awww...poor thing. Are you going to be ok?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    thgord, Graham, Rocker and 18 others like this.
  3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

There's always the Disney channel...

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Another potential watcher for ¨The Punisher¨:laugh:

Vidiot and Vinyl Addict like this.
  5. The Pinhead

I love violence, but only fictional.

6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Less violence, more sex and male frontal nudity!

7. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Turn. It. Off.
    It's 2019, there are more choices than ever, yet people continue to sit in front of broadcast TV, where they dictate what and when you watch.
    Why ?

rd1, tmtomh, onionmaster and 6 others like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

bring it on...the more the better...

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. Michael

LOL... go for it! : ) but add more violence! the suppression of the PC Police has to be countered!

The MEZ and The Pinhead like this.
  12. Michael

exactly, but we understand that now don't we. ; )

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I like well made cinematic as much as anyone, but in doses and when I'm in the right mindset. So just by happenstance the majority of new stuff I watch is non-violent. Here's the thing...I have so much non-violent stuff in my watch lists on various platforms that I will never be able to see it all even if I didn't work and pretty much only watched TV.

I don't understand what the OP is complaining about. There's just so much good content out there available all of the time, if you don't like something all you have to do is find something else.

dan c

14. Well, you certainly can't front on anybody for their feelings. People have different thresholds for violence and such, so everyone is different.

Moreover, people's views change.

A case in point, I grew up in the funeral business: a family business, where I saw every type of dead body under the sun. It didn't really bother me much, except for the dead children and if a body was too badly decomposed.

In the Marine Corps I didn't see that many dead bodies, but the ones I saw I was either close to, or they were Hajis that we had dispatched (or somebody else had killed them).

Fast forward to today, for some reason I can't hardly look at a corpse without feeling something. Fake TV violence and fake bodies do nothing to me. Real pictures or a funeral make me feel uneasy. And it used to be, as unpleasant as smelling a decomp was, I never puked. Now, if I even look at cat vomit or smell a dog turd, I'll want to upchuck.

It's a strange thing.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

mrwolk, are you sure it's not "violence on tv", and "violence from SkyAtlantic programming"? :idea:

Our broadcast standards down here are pretty standard, and they should be, since it's television intended for everybody, all audiences, with some shows being edgier than others, and many being more daring than those in the 1980's (with those in the '80s being moreso than in the '60s, etc, etc...).

That said, let me repeat what's been said jillions of times before. If it's the violence, or the language, or the subject matter, or the controversial characters that are hard for you to watch...it's not as if there are aren't literally thousands of options. And all you have to do to find them, is spend more time looking for what will be worthwhile, and less time b*tching about what isn't...because those shows exist for others whose sensibilities deserve to be catered-to as well.

But I have absolutely no empathy for anybody who complains about something they don't want, when they have no excuse for seeking out more suitable alternatives. You have cable. You have broadcast, and side-channels. You have streaming options in every stripe and flavor. You have expanded basic cable, you have premium cable. You can even just go online, search, "watch '_____' online free", and be presented with list pages of dozens of servers worldwide (admittedly, a few you have to learn to avoid tricky *gotcha*'s, but that's just being a grownup and figuring it out), offering hundreds of episodes of literally thousands of shows...in every language and locale on the planet.

And, if this mean old accomodating world is just too uncomfortable for you, you could just click on "order" on Amazon, and a box of I Love Lucy reruns will be winging their way to you (or via Alibaba, if even Mr. Bezos offends you).

You do deserve your happiness with your television viewing, mrwolk...but you don't deserve to have it tailored, chopped and ground, braised and sautee'd for you, and laid gently in your lap. You may have to learn your own way to butter it. The rest of the world has no time to support your personal peccadillos.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Tristero, Vidiot, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

All right, then. What's your email address? :laugh:

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

OP's avatar fits in perfectly with the thread topic.

18. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Op has a point, even tho I love it..you only have to look at StarTrek Discovery to see this..don't bother Me none but Violence/Rape etc does pop up more in TV programming.. shock tactics..keep viewer hook..wasn't there some who haw about Game of Thrones? Idk? If it turns you off, turn off..maybe..

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting! Thread Starter

Dillydipper...i don’t expect you to support my personal peccadillos...is this not a “forum” for thoughts, opinions? CrazyCat wrote ”If it turns you off, turn it off”....it was unfortunate that a tv series that i was looking forward to see ...das Boot...compelled me to do just that.
    And as others have mentioned..i do have other options...Thanks to all for taking time to add your two cents.

20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

It seems like I'm always running into these 'warnings' about the content, did you not also get forced to sit through them? Over and over and over, after every commercial break of which there are so many on broadcast tv channels in Canada? Even streaming I always have to sit through one at the beginning. What's the point of them if someone such as yourself is not making use of them? I would expect violence and language in something like Das Boot, I mean it's during wartime with all men in an enclosed space... it's not exactly Little House On The Prairie (which I also loved by the way and was also reality based).

21. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Well you know what they say...
    Gang Rape equals ratings.

22. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Check down between the cushion and the side of the couch for the TV controller. If not there, the dog may have taken it into the utility room . . .

The Pinhead likes this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No couch.
    No controller.
    No dog.
    No utility room.

Since 2013 :

DVDs
    Blu rays
    Online streaming via Amazon, Netflix, etc.

24. I'm wondering if you have seen the TV series Six Feet Under and, if so, what your opinion of it might be. I recently started watching it, having bought it on DVD, and think it's a brilliantly written and produced series on something you would know a great deal about.

subzro likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.