Feedbands - Get a Vinyl Record from an unsigned band each month. Any takers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by imarcq, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley... Thread Starter

I just saw an advertisement for this website on Facebook. It's basically a record club subscription where you get a first pressed 180G unknown record from an unknown band. Sounds a bit risky with no guarantee of quality or music preference. But it does help new bands make a record. Artists get a good deal on rights and expenses.
    Is it a good idea? Maybe....could be a voyage of discovery!

https://feedbands.com/

https://www.facebook.com/feedbands

You also get a download card with embedded seeds if you like Plants other than Robert!

It's $19.95 a month plus $4.95 shipping (more for International).

Has anyone subscribed? Thoughts?

Also post what you received each month (if you subscribe)

evh5150 likes this.
  2. Very interesting

3. imarcq

Apparently you can send it back if you hate it! Lets hope that Rainbo doesn't make them!

Jrr likes this.
  4. imarcq

Maybe people are a bit hesitant?

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If they did it by (reasonably specific) genre, I'd be interested. Like, if they did a "power pop" series or "Americana" series, I could be persuaded, mayhaps.

6. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Maybe I missed it, but it would also be nice to know the resolution of the source. They make a big deal of not listening to a band for the first time via MP3, but are these analog or at least hi res? As much as they harp on hearing a band on vinyl being the best way to experience the music, the fact that they don't mention the quality of the recording used (at least that I could find) makes me wonder if we are just getting a CD pressed on vinyl.

7. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

That's rather pricey for an unsigned band and not being able to at least choose the genre.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  8. Tiffani

Tiffani Active Member

I think this is a great idea. It amazes me how many platforms unknown musical acts have to be heard and discovered nowadays.

9. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

Very interesting.

$20 a month isn't much compared to a lot of stuff.

I subscribe to plenty of magazines that take me less then 5 minutes to read since they contain little I'm interested in that month.

10. Shaffer

Shaffer Active Member

I'm tempted to do it; $20 isn't unreasonable, if the records are well-chosen. Being able to pick a genre would push me over the edge.

11. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Not feasible for me, unfortunately. $25 shipped per month for essentially a blind buy is a hard sell. If I had more disposable income I'd likely do it, but as it is I have to pick my purchases carefully. :(

Best of luck to the effort, however - I hope they get a lot of takers.

12. imarcq

Yes it's a bit of an experiment I guess. You'd like to think that care was taken with the source/mastering. I guess the only way to find out is to bite. I think you get the first LP 'free' (whatever that actually means) so I'm guessing you can opt out. They also say you can return anything you don't like - but I would imagine at your own expense. They don't specifically mention it but it would seem to be in a certain area perhaps that would appeal to the more 'hipster' tastes maybe? I think they have a blog where you can listen and vote on artists so there may be an opportunity to hear bands beforehand. It's an interesting concept. I won't bite though as the extra shipping would probably be a cost issue. But if anyone does dive in, be sure to post here about what you got and whether you liked it.....

13. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member

Great idea!

14. imarcq

I like the concept of not ripping the artists off (or so they claim).

15. I am, and was hoping someone here might have the scoop on these guys. It seems like a cool idea, but who knows what you might end up getting (although they seem pretty indie-rock focused) or whether this is some sort of scam. I'd never heard of this outfit before Monday, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on it out there yet. Might pull the trigger though, as I did get a nice tax refund this year...

Also: they're pretty aggressive with their cookies - ever since I clicked through an ad to their site, I've seen their banner ads popping up on almost every ad-taking site I've visited over the past three days.

16. imarcq

Not good news about cookie overload :( Lets hope it's not a scam. It looks like maybe they just started so haven't even sent anything out yet? Perhaps the blog or facebook can shed some light eventually?

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Guys, if it's a scam, they paid a LOT for that website. And people basically upvote the band who will be on the release by choosing songs pushed via their app. So why not download the free app to check out what they're about, like I've just done?

imarcq likes this.
  18. imarcq

Yes I don't think it's a likely scam, as they have made a huge investment. And I like the idea of how the bands are chosen. I'm checking out the app now!

19. imarcq

Ben Adams likes this.
  20. DarkestOfKnights

DarkestOfKnights New Member

Hello, I joined this site so I could reply to this thread. I signed up for Feedbands recently and received my first record in the mail today. It was nicely packaged, had a bio sheet of paper about the band inside which I thought was cool, and the vinyl was yellow/orange color. I actually don't care for colored vinyl I prefer black but no big deal. I feel like I have to be secretive about who the band is and I am starting to feel silly about doing that but I will respect Feedbands and not reveal it. The second I started playing it (side a, first song) I liked the rock music BUT I instantly noticed that the sound quality was awful. I mean it was so bad that I stopped what I was doing and was like WTF? I have a good receiver but it is a bit basic (no equalizer) and all I could do was increase the bass and the treble almost all the way up for it to sound good and that did help. The vocals, on the other hand, are so echoey IN EVERY SONG that I have trouble understanding what they are singing. To be fair a few of the songs I liked but since the vocals are so bad I don't think I'll be listening to it again. Also, a few minutes before joining this thread I used the download card that came with it and got the mp3s...well the audio is a little better but the vocals are still bad. Since this is my first month it is actually free but I will be charged if I decide to allow them to send me another record. I think that I will let them send next month's record to give them another chance but if the audio quality is just as bad then I will cancel my subscription.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  21. imarcq

Thats doesn't sound good at all! Kudos for having a go, I hope the 2nd one is better - although I would probably cancelled my membership immediately on the strength of the first LP if I'd had your bad experience. But thanks for posting - it gives us more of an idea about what (or what NOT) to expect....probably run BY hipsters FOR hipsters with no real care for the actual audio quality.

22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Well, I was about to say this is interesting but a bit risky. If the quality of the audio was high res or analog, it might be worth the gamble.

At $25 a month, I get a better deal supporting someone like Light in the Attic with a subscription for $19/per title including shipping and 15% off any back catalog orders. At least with LITA, I know they are releasing good audio, top rate packaging and interesting music.

I'd like to see this idea work though.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  23. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I have a finite amount of money to spend on vinyl and there are more than enough older and new lps from bands that I could ever afford as it is so I wouldn't be interested, however at some gigs of new bands if I like them and they have vinyl at a stall there I'll buy it, a recent example of this is a new Irish band called Cashier No.9 .

24. I dunno; from the description it could be an issue with how the music was produced rather than the quality of the pressing or mastering. Judging from reviews I've checked out online some folks seem to like it. One guy noted that the pressing seemed kind of noisy but this was apparently an isolated problem judging from a comment he got. I'm still feeling tempted by this (even moreso now that I see the albums will all be on coloured vinyl, which I totally dig) - despite some criticism about the model and the risk of getting stuck with some crap I still think it's a neat idea.

25. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

The recording quality would be totally up to the band. Indie band recording could range from terrible to fantastic, I know of several local bands here in tampa that recorded at a house with their own stuff and made good sounding cds, and I also know of some that sounded astoundingly bad. It happens...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.