Field Music new album 'Open Here', 2nd February 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Count It Up sounds like it could have been made by Prince in the mid 80s. I can think of no higher compliment.

Actually, I think the great man himself once tweeted about Field Music approvingly.

Robert C and SinisterGinger like this.
  2. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

I got this vibe too -- like Oranges and Lemons-era XTC trying to re-imagine Around The World In A Day.

3. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

In a just world this band would be bigger. Their music is very thoughtful and well crafted. Open Here is another excellent release by this band.

jeffrey walsh, Robert C and grbl like this.
  4. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

CD analysis:

foobar2000 1.3.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-02-10 15:37:49
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Field Music / Open Here
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -0.68 dB -13.28 dB 6:19 01-Time in Joy
    DR11 -0.67 dB -13.82 dB 3:42 02-Count it Up
    DR10 -0.69 dB -13.80 dB 1:45 03-Front of House
    DR10 -0.64 dB -12.73 dB 2:54 04-Share a Pillow
    DR10 -0.71 dB -12.87 dB 2:19 05-Open Here
    DR10 -0.62 dB -12.12 dB 2:27 06-Goodbye to the Country
    DR9 -0.59 dB -11.78 dB 3:21 07-Checking on a Message
    DR11 -0.70 dB -13.16 dB 3:40 08-No King No Princess
    DR10 -0.69 dB -13.05 dB 3:42 09-Cameraman
    DR11 -0.70 dB -13.10 dB 3:38 10-Daylight Saving
    DR7 -0.68 dB -10.73 dB 5:31 11-Find a Way to Keep Me
    Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR10

Very good sounding album!

Robert C likes this.
  5. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Huge Field Music fan, listened to the new LP eight times at least, this is my least favorite album by them, it kicks off with the wonderful 'Time in Joy' and end brilliantly with the glorious 'Find a Way to keep Me' but in between i didn't find much to like, the songs are not restringing with me, i'm not of fan of the jagged funky rhythm that dominate the album, not enough hooks.

'

6. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

New album on CD is only 7.99 on Amazon now. Ordered.

7. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I tried some of their work many years ago and it never struck enough of a chord with me at the time for it to stay on my radar for long (I know Measure for sure was once on my iPod) but “Count It Up” got me interested in the new LP and I’ve been very much enjoying it, there really is no better way to describe it than “XTC meets Prince”, so it helps I enjoy both artists. What’s your favorite record by them? I’ll probably listen to some more on Tidal really soon.

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

I’m in the same boat. Had Tones Of Town for years and never got it. Still don’t. But Plumb was an immediate hit with me, despite being quirky and peculiar (a lot of it was Skylarking meets ELO with some Bonham powered drums). And Commontime is as accessible as they’ve got for me.

LivingForever likes this.
  9. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

My favorite are 'Tones of Town' and 'The Week That Was', A Peter Brewis side project which sounds like a Field Music with emphasis on highly melodic lush arrangements, it's flat out gorgeous, please do check it out.
    Also Side 3 of 'Measure' on vinyl is just fantastic sequence of songs.

Great band.

G B Kuipers likes this.
  10. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I love 'Tones of Town' , way more than the new one, their albums do require several listens to fully appreciate, i gave 'Open Here' several spins before i decided to comment on it, it's getting very favorable media reviews, i'm glad people are liking it, richly deserved recognition for them.

11. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip! Tones of Town and Measure are much more to my liking than the Prince side of their work. Will check out the Week That Was album.

Doctorwu likes this.
  12. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

‘Come Home’ from The Week That Was’ is so beautiful, the piano arrangement gorgeous.

Here it is:

ilo2, jeffrey walsh and G B Kuipers like this.
  13. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Another one from TTW, gorgeous strings at the end merging with the drums, like 'Running up That Hill' with the brodsky Quartet:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    G B Kuipers likes this.
  14. elfary

elfary Forum Resident

This record reminds of Steely Dan at their prime.

Quite a sonic and musical journey.

15. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Best record I've heard since Tame Impala Currents! Fabulous band.

16. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

I've never heard the Dan influences, but I will listen again with that in mind!

Makes me smile to see people so enthusiastic about this band & album. They have quite a body of work now! I was in Mexico last week and listened to nothing but their double album, Measure. Great music.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Those two are my favorites, along with Plumb, which holds together really well as a sort of modern progressive concept piece. I haven't cared for their more recent stuff as much, but they're definitely a very talented, unsung contemporary band.

18. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I've described them like a modern Steely Dan meets Sparks. But then I played some recently for a friend and they rightfully also said some Zappa in places as well.

19. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I remember they have denied the Steely Dan influence in interviews. Have to admit that I don't hear it in their music myself, and I am intimitely familiar with the Dan repertoire. Interested to know where do you hear similarities?

20. elfary

elfary Forum Resident

In the impeccable use of the studio. Craftmanship that keeps an eye on every sonic nuance.

Sound scuplture at its best.

21. scantregard

scantregard Forum Resident

I don't love this album quite as much as some of their others but it's still very strong. I must admit that Peter's songs generally end up being my favourites over the long term, and the title track of "Open Here" is another gem from him. But David is no slouch, all the same!

creepy weirdo likes this.
  22. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

I thought they have joint songwriting credits in their CD booklets. How do you know which brother writes which song?

23. scantregard

scantregard Forum Resident

Singer is the writer. And their styles are quite distinct.

24. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Superb show at the Barbican this evening. Full band, strings, horns, percussionist. No airs or mucking about (David was onstage tuning his own guitar in the interval), just great music.

They alluded to recording a live album- it was an extremely precise show, and the set was primarily comprised of the new album.

25. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

Got into this band as I'm a Prince fan. He mentioned them on Twitter as others have said. It was the ending to Noisey Days Are Over that caught his ear no doubt. Perfect Lovesexy material.

I preferred Commontime. I secretly wish they would chuck out some more accessible songs like Talking Heads did; clever songs, brilliant musicianship, catchy numbers.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.