Fiio vs. iPod

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Runicen, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I just typically picked an appropriate battery from Amazon based on which ipod or phone I was modding or updating. I just looked at the reviews to see if the batteries worked and lasted well. My ipod mod was 5.5 so that info probably would not help too much.

2. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

1TB Ipod. 900$

512GB ipod - 500$

i have a 256 GB one, i have just under 50,000 songs on it, as i hear if you go over 50K, it has software issues, and will restart if you shuffle the songs. i have 2 160GB ones, and the 256gb one, and they are all full to the max at 128K.

they are convenient,and work well, as long as yoou don't drop them.

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've kept my 160GB iPod in one of these iSnug's for years - great protection!

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

investigating this now.......................... "thank yoou"

stereoptic likes this.
  5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There are different sizes (Nano, Classic, etc) from what I recall - just make sure it fits yours!

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I got a new 128 GB Iphone 6S for free. I think my FiiO X3 Gen 2 sounds slightly better not by much. I use them both. Being able to make playlists and have larger album artwork with the IPhone is nice and it has Bluetooth. My RAV4 built in stereo plays the IPhone through the computer. iPhone 6s sounds much better than my old IPOd touch 4th gen.

Putting ALAC files on the IPhone has been a nightmare though with the wrong artwork synching with albums. It took many hours to fix this strange problem.

7. Blamelouis

Blamelouis Well-Known Member

XDP-30R | Pioneer

Picked up one of these a couple of months ago, terrific sound stage and loving ripping all my cd’s to FLAC at the moment.

8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident Thread Starter

It definitely wins in the "elegance of design" category. I'm seeing some price variability on eBay though. Clearly, some are bootleg merchants, but there are sellers in Japan as well which seem to have it in the sub-$250 area. Curious how wide-spread "unofficial" reproductions are in the market.

9. Blamelouis

Blamelouis Well-Known Member

I read somewhere the Japanese version can’t stream Tidal ...dunno how true that is.

Runicen likes this.
  10. theotherme

theotherme Forum Resident

I bought this one a month ago + 2 256GB micro SD. It's actually the same gear as the Pioneer. Pretty happy about it so far https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGWGLDK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11. Runicen

12. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I'm curious about peoples' opinions on something like the newest iPod Touch compared to the Fiio X1 and Fiio X3 in terms of the sound. I prefer Apple iOS to the software on the Fiio. It's just a ton easier to search for a specific artist or album on the iPod. But I hate that it's so limited in space. Mine is the 128gb model. I guess I can't complain because I only have it about 1/3 of the way full with some Apple Lossless and some 256k AAC files. The microSD in my Fiio has 200gb of storage. I also hate having to interface with iTunes to put music on the iPod where with the Fiio I just connect up and sync my mobile playlist in MusicBee.

And does anyone know if the Fiio X3 still uses the Wolfson DAC? I've got the original model that had the Wolfson WM8740 DAC as well as the original Fiio X1 when they switched over to Texas Instruments DAC's. I also feel like the line out on my X3 is a bit more amplified than the X1 or iPod.

13. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

I had a 160GB iPod Classic in my last car and it did the same thing. Definitely didn't have 50,000 songs on it - probably closer to 12,000. It would consistently crash after playing through perhaps 200 songs in shuffle mode. A forced reboot was required to get it working again. I tried a second unit (120GB) and it did the same. Then tried reducing the number of songs on the drive to ~5000. That helped a little - but it still consistently crashed after playing through about 500 songs in shuffle mode.

The classic iPod models simply can't handle what I/we want from them. The CPU and RAM are too limited.

14. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Stopped looking for a dedicated audio player since Audioquest's Dragonfly Red makes my iPhone suitable for every headphone I own. By using the MusicStreamer app (Stratospherix) I have access to a external 3 TB HD which stores nearly my whole collection lossless, some in HD. A RAVPower RP-WD03 serves as WLAN-transmitter and powers the hard disc. It can also pass through the home WLAN.
    For mobile use, the 256 kbit/s AAC tracks on the phone do the job well enough (in fact it's very hard to tell the difference).

15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Both of my iPod Classics went kaput in the past year. I just got a FiiO X1 (2nd Gen) for $89.00. After a few weeks of getting comfortable with the interface/syntax, I am really happy with it. It's very simple compared to iTunes/iPod; a memory device... another external connection. When I look back on the learning curve with iTunes, man... it was like taking-on a part time job! The FiiO DAC is clearly superior to Apple's, and FLAC files sound fantastic!

I have some minor quibbles, but overall I'm a satisfied customer. It feels really good to be back in the portable music game.

Instant Dharma, JeffMo and Runicen like this.
  16. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I have an X3 and an X5 and love them both. You are right, they are very easy to use and sound great. I also own a Cowon Plenue D and like it too. I don't like using my phone for music, but I know in this day and age most people do.

Jack Flannery and Guy E like this.
  17. danner

danner Forum Resident

I have an iPod Classic that's just been sitting in a drawer for years because its battery life is so weak. I occasionally get tempted to send it off for the big hard drive and battery upgrade, but the cost is just high enough to keep me from pulling the trigger. I think settling for the smaller storage space on iPhones over the years has gradually convinced me that I don't necessarily need my entire music collection in my pocket at all times.

18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Yeah, it is an odd indulgence. I resynced my wife's iPod recently (I manage it for her) and she's never listened to 95% of the music on there.

With the FiiO, I'm going to work towards maintaining a smaller library in FLAC. Having two X1's, both with 256 gig micro SD cards... that's still a lot of music. I'm not sure how I'll divvy it up between the pair...anybody have any suggestions? I'm thinking; Rock on one, with Jazz, Blues, Folk, Reggae and multi-artist Compilations on the other. But maybe I should just split it in the middle of the alphabet and keep everything mixed.

TimM and danner like this.
  19. danner

danner Forum Resident

I actually kind of like rotating albums for a smaller portable collection. It makes it much easier to pick something to listen to in my car when I don’t have a thousand albums to scroll through.

Guy E likes this.
  20. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

So, I’m beating around the idea of getting another DAP, probably a Fiio. But has anybody tried one of these? Shanling M0 Review | Headfonics

I like the size of it. 12-15hr battery life.

21. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have an X5ii so two cards and yes I do A-J and K-Z which works out for me even with a few outsized collections like Grateful Dead. I don't really think in genre however, so it works for me as I use folder view driven by artist and album folders.

22. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

After all these years, I'm still enjoying my Pono, and successfully using a 400gb microSD card.

JeffMo and thegage like this.
  23. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

:righton: I'm exactly on the same page with straight-up artist > album folder organization. And while I don't think of myself as a Deadicated Head, their folder is 21.2 GB (!). I have most of the E72 shows ripped in FLAC or Apple Lossless and loads of other stuff.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    bmoregnr likes this.
  24. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Yes. An overabundance of choice is a modern curse, of sorts. 35-years ago, I was perfectly happy having a dozen cassettes in my bag, and when I switched to CD, having 50 discs in a folder pouch felt like an abundance of choice. Once I made a selection, I'd stick with it too... I wasn't going to change discs on the subway. I got an iPod ten or twelve years ago, mainly because the weight of my shoulder bag was bothering me. :magoo:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Runicen and danner like this.
  25. Runicen

If you've got two players, I'd say split the alphabet. You could also do something similar to my setup with two of them.

In my case, I have one X5 ii, which I had two sets of two cards for. One set encompassed "audition" material - which is new arrivals or things I'm going over again that I've had for a while. You know, attentive listening. :D

The other two cards were my "radio" set, which was just perennial favorites or things I'd auditioned and wanted to slot into regular casual rotation. These were mostly used to throw on shuffle for long car rides with company and the playlist could change pretty dramatically depending on my mood or the company I was expecting for long drives.

My "audition" set is a pair of 200gb cards and my "radio" set was a pair of 128gb cards (before I repurposed one for my Nintendo Switch and gave the other to a friend for the same reason). One 256 gb card can hold a LOT of music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.