Fiio X5 3rd generation.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Groovy, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question, D-rock. The music files have to be on the device or SD card - or am I losing my mind?

But I'm glad to hear you're using iSyncr. What do you use it for specifically and does it work well?

2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I use it to transfer itunes playlists to my galaxy android phone. Mainly to play in the car.
    When I sync the playlists to my phone it puts the actual mp3 on my phone. I was just wondering if it would recognize and locate the file on the fiio or would it make a separate file and save a copy there.

3. Groovy

I should say that I have no experience with Android, don't even have a smart phone. So that may be why I'm missing something here and I apologize if that's the case.

I understand that iSyncr puts an actual MP3 on your phone. Then the last sentence loses me - are you wondering if iSyncr would put duplicate files on the Fiio?

4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Yes, that's my question

5. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I received my FiiO x5 3rd gen last week and have been testing it out for several days now. I've been having trouble with playlists when locking and unlocking my player. The player always loses my spot in the playlist when I unlock the player. Does anyone else have this problem? It sucks to lose my place in a 30,000+ song playlist....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. Groovy

OK, I guess I wasn't as confused as I thought. As you've probably surmised by now, I'm on the learning curve too and not a person who's able to answer that question.

Have you used Android File Transfer at all?

7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

No. Is that an app?

8. Groovy

Yes, it works for Windows or Mac with anything running Android 4.4 and above.

https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Between this and iSyncr, it seems that, one way or another, getting playlists on the Fiio should be easy (although I'm now leaning towards the Onkyo DP X1 for a friendlier UI).

9. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

In Pure Music mode...in the top left corner you will see a gear wheel icon..tapping on it will take you to 'settings'...scroll down in the 'play' menu...you'll see 'Resume'...which gives you the option to activate and engage either Last Song.. or Last Position'....options.
    Select one and the next time you boot up your device...you are at one of those points.
    My device goes to last position when it boots up...hope this helps.
    Unfortunately the FiiO owners manual leaves a lot to be desired.

FiiO posted screenshots explaining functions here:

Instruction of the using the FiiO Music in X5III/X7

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    hotshotskings likes this.
  10. hotshotskings

Perfect! Many thanks!

11. mrwolk

Well it's been a little over a month since i acquired the FiiO X5III..and i am quite pleased with the UI and sound quality...no longer tethered to my iPods or iTunes.
    I'm listening to music again as opposed to it just being part of the background.
    With the Android OS...i also get access to Spotify...the Bluetooth works fine.
    Fingers crossed..so far great!.
    I think FiiO can make great strides with their line of DAPs if they set up service depots outside China for folks out there who require service and repair.

12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Are you using it with high quality DSD files over Bluetooth? Just wondering if there is any perceivable improvements, say in a car stereo situation.

13. mrwolk

Don't own a car...so can't answer that question....also no DSD files...basically ripping cds and wav files to flac...nothing fancy or hi-tech just better than iTunes content and storing content on SD cards is not limiting...bottom line...i'm an old fart that doesn't drive...likes his tunes delivered without having to deal with hi-tech...keeping it simple.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

One thing about this is that android file transfer would really only be necessary for copying to the Fiio's built in 32GB, and unless they just designed it horribly, presumably this would mount as a drive as well when connected to the system. I would assume most of the total music on most people's devices will be on the sdcards, which wouldn't require special software (and probably wouldn't even work with android file transfer).

Note too that all of this only applies to the edge case of syncing itunes playlists to the device. If you're not bound by iTunes, it's just normal drag and drop file transfer.

Groovy likes this.
  15. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

After a week of having the unit. So far I really like the sound that is coming from the unit. It is warm but detailed, with a minor roll-off on the highs. I mostly play CD to FLAC files, with very few 24/192 files (I don't usually jump on the Hi-Rez bandwagon since the majority of the albums I like have really good mastering on CD). I'm using my Grado GH2 headphones and it is an excellent match.

However, a few bugs came up on the unit (time to time the FiiO music app crashes when playing music from the second SD card slot). FiiO said in the Head-Fi forums that this week they are going to be rolling out another Firmware update that should solve more problems with random bugs.

In the future FiiO is claiming that a Firmware update for the unit will make it easy to hook this up to a Car without using Aux.

16. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

If it's not connected to the car stereo via Aux, and it's not connecting to the car stereo via USB, that means it's connecting via Bluetooth, which is a waste of time for playing music in the car if you have a player that supports hi-res formats, since Bluetooth is going to compress your audio.

17. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

Fine by me. I only use CDs in my car to begin with. :)

18. Groovy

For anyone interested, I bought an Onkyo DP X1 instead of the Fiio as I feel that that unit is still being beta tested by consumers. The Onkyo is also an Android based player but has been out long enough to clear up some of the bugs.

As this is my first Android device it took a couple of days to get to grips with it but I'm now loading music onto it and, more importantly for me, also re-creating my iTunes playlists on it with ease. The accompanying program, X-Dap, from the Onkyo site, links between my iTunes folders and the player and I can pick the songs from an album that I want to add. Then I can add them to a playlist - editing the playlists is simple too.

Coincidentally, my iPod stopped connecting to my Mac yesterday - it's like it knew its time was over.

Rolltide likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

What's the difference in cost?

20. Groovy

About $100.00 now. I think the Onkyo was originally over $800.

21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I've been following this thread in the hopes of being inspired to pull the trigger on an x5iii. But after reading every post, the shared editorial reviews and the user reviews on Amazon it feels like there are still kinks to be worked out. For years my portable listening device has just been an iPod, iPhone or iPad. I've thought about improving that through an Oppo HA-2SE but I like the idea of a dedicated DAP more. Are there other good considerations in the sub $500 category? I'm not familiar with the Onkyo DP Xi that was mentioned above. Apologies if this question is too open ended or better suited elsewhere.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  22. Tad

Tad Well-Known Member

In the same price category some very similar players are the Cayin i5 and Onkyo DP X1, you might want to check them out.
    The i5 is 100$ more but it's probably more reliable on the software side (just from what I've heard).

adamos likes this.
  23. mrwolk

Adamos....
    If you just want a decent DAP and don't want to spend $$$.. you might want to consider the FiiO X5 2nd gen...a basic playback unit...no Android OS..Bluetooth etc.
    Just load a couple of micro sd cards with your tunes....insert and play!
    I have three FiiO players including the latest FiiO X5 3rd gen...so far..no complaints...
    just great sounding playback

I333I, Brenald79 and adamos like this.
  24. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Thank you both, I'll look into all of these. I like the idea of Android so I can also use apps like LivePhish or Relisten, and with Bluetooth and/or wifi I could connect it to my Bluesound Node 2. But the majority of my usage would be for traveling, chillout time in rooms away from my main system, etc. so the latter isn't as critical.

25. hotshotskings

I noticed some good improvements with the latest firmware update. Glad to have the 3-second Play/Pause delay gone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.