FIIO X5 Anyone Getting One?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomd, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

I was all set to purchase Neil Young's Pono player near it's October release date but after reading about the soon to be released Fiio X5 I think I will be getting that instead.With a SRP of $350,options for more storage,DSD,coax out it's a no brainer.And it comes after the X3 which was well received and had an excellent track record on it's own.Check out the review:http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000055517771&MenuID=105026016

2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Getting one for my birthday next month.

3. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

It's still too early to tell how long it will take the Kickstarter devices to evolve into something that anyone can just purchase, and there's certainly a possibility that if/when that happens, the devices will already be obsolete. So I'm with the OP. I'm going to spend my money on hardware I can actually take possession of this year.

4. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I'm on my second 1st generation Sansa Fuze. When it dies, I'll probably get the X5. Not in any hurry.

jfeldt likes this.
  5. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

I already have a portable player. And it can make phone calls, too.

jeffsab and allnoyz like this.
  6. tomd

the great thing about all these devices is they'll play all the different kinds of files.I may not buy the Pono player but I'll most definitely purchase the Pono files!

7. bubba-ho-tep

So when is the X5 supposed to be out? My birthday's right around the corner..... :waiting:

8. gloomrider

MP4nation (based in Hong Kong) is saying 4/12.

9. bubba-ho-tep

I just got my notice that it's available for pre-order from B&H.

10. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I had one for 2 weeks, and got the DX50 instead

the X5 is BRIGHT, I can't see forum lovers liking it.

I also have an HM-801, Studio V , Studio 3rd and HM-901 on its way
    now.

11. gloomrider

Some are fighters, not lovers. :laugh:

12. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I think the HM-801 is the perfect player for those who love Steve's Mastering, it has
    such a magical midrange with its old NOS DAC.

Let the fighters have Ipods!

gloomrider likes this.
  13. gloomrider

$800-$1000 for a DAP is a bit pricey for many, I suspect.

14. bubba-ho-tep

Exactly. Just for kicks, however, I think I'll ask my wife for this for my birthday. Sometimes, her reactions can be priceless.

coffeecupman likes this.
  15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Is the X5 bright if you use the line out to an external amp (desktop headphone amp, portable amp, or speaker system)?

16. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

My X3 sounded slightly bright on my old Shure earbuds, but since I bought a pair of Westone 4's, it sounds just right. I also don't hear brightness from the line out signal. Haven't had a chance to try an X5, though.

17. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have been very tempted by the A&K and the FIIO but am heavily invested in iPod compatible DACs. I have the Cyperlabs Algorthym and just bought the Centrance hifi M8. I am so used to the iTunes interface I really don't want to switch. If I can actually hear the difference between 24/192 vs ripped redbook then maybe. I am not saying there isn't any difference just that my aged ears can't hear it.

18. bubba-ho-tep

Can't you use the 10-band EQ to tame the brightness?

19. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I would say if you have to use EQ then something is wrong elsewhere.

Yes $500-$800 is expensive for a little box. HOWEVER it can be a 100gb+ portable hi-rez
    music player you can plug in anywhere, and play 24/192 files from. To me the HM-801 sounds as good
    as a £1k CD player on Red Book. I pick up my HM-901 tomorrow, which has the same DACS as my £600
    Audiolab MDAC.

For me this really is the future of hardware. I love walking into peoples house and asking
    "have you heard hi-rez Beatles 24bit?" which no one has it seems, and bringing out my DX50 or HM-801 plugging it into their pre amp
    and knocking their socks off.

Another great thing is that Redbook can sound superb and as we nearly all have CD collections there is no need to buy
    another format of something you already have, unless you go down the HD Tracks route. I love making my own 24/48 or
    24/96 needledrops, and playing them back on my DAP, great sound that costs me nothing.

On a separate note my Ikemi still wipes the floor with the MDAC, and any DAP, DAC I have heard. So there
    is still a way to go.

20. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I only had it for two weeks and was looking for a one box solution, so only the headphone out was used.
    Of course the line out should sound better. The X5 did not sound bad, in fact it sounded very very good, the detail was amazing, I just
    found it a bit tiring after a while. This was only with the 2nd firmware release, which has been updated many times since and the version now
    will sound better than the one I had.
    If you just want redbook 16/44 then I highly recommend Hisoundaudio Studio DAP, if sound quality and battery life are most important to you,
    the UI sucks, but you get used to it.

21. tomd

How do you get $500-$800 for the X5? I've seen it listed from more than one site for $350...

22. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Sorry I was referring, badly, to gloomriders post.

The list in UK for X5 is £289
    The DX90 will be $419 - an absolute steal if it fullfills it's promises
    DX50 is $250

23. tomd

Who makes the DX 50 and upcoming DX90? Will have to look into it.One thing for sure more competition is a good thing.If by the end of the year Warners puts up a decent amount of titles and some if not all the labels get on board I will get a player.

24. gloomrider

And I was talking about Hifiman DAP prices.

25. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Ibasso - the DAP market has gone nuts in the past year or so

A&K ( who I don't rate at all) 100,120,240
    Ibasso DX100, Dx90, DX50
    Hifiman (HM700, 901, 802)
    Hisoundaudio - Studio 3rd Anniv, Nova N1 and N3
    Sony ZX1
    Calyx M

and more........very exciting times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.