FIIO X5 Anyone Getting One?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomd, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm listening to the Doors' first album (24/96 HDTracks download) and the player is handling it flawlessly. Very impressed.

80sjunkie likes this.
  2. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

The X5 looks tempting. I don't have a hi-res portable solution, which I would use in bed and in the car. My classic ipod finally died, and I need to move on from my 20-year old cd player. Looks kind of bulky for the car.

3. bubba-ho-tep

For what it's worth, the X5 is slightly smaller than an iPhone.

4. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

The iBasso DX90 was released a few weeks ago and I am listening to 24/96 Gaucho right now with the LCX-X. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

5. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Ugh, probably. Just what a guy with little disposable income needs. Seriously this fits in with my new program of trying to walk 5 miles a day.

Actually I was about to go for a X3 before I saw this thread. Now I'm not sure at all.

6. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

You mean LCD-X, right? And the DX90 drives them sufficiently?

7. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Yes. Typo. LCD-X has lower impedance than LCD-3. The DX-90 has no problem driving it with gain at medium. However my Etymotic ER4s sounded like crap with it I guess due to the very high impedance. My normal gear is an iPod, ALAC, SR-71a triple stack so the DX90 will actually be portable with the Shure SE535.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    gloomrider likes this.
  8. gloomrider

Bummer about the ER4s. But I have been itching for a pair of 1964 Ears. :love:

9. bubba-ho-tep

Having spent about a week playing around with my X5, I have to say that I have zero regrets about replacing my iPod Classic with this. No complaints about the SQ, although I think that I detected a bit of sibilence in the vocals on some of my Doors 24/96 HDTracks downloads. That could be a product of the mastering, though, since I had never really done a lot of critical listening before. It also sounds wonderful plugged into the AUX input jack in my Toyota Yaris factory stereo, which isn't particularly great. A couple of minor quibbles:
    • When browsing the library, articles at the beginning of band names are used in sorting. This results in "Jimi Hendrix" listed under "J" while "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" is listed under "T". Hopefully, this will be addressed in a future firmware upgrade. This can be worked around using the file browser, though.
    • I wish that there was a browsing category for compilations like there is for the iPod. There is a lot of clutter in the artist browser due to a couple of multi-artist comps that I have loaded on the player. Again, though, this can also be worked around using the file browser.
    Anybody know where I can submit these suggestions to Fiio?

That's it for now.

10. gloomrider

Thanks for this. Believe it or not, the best way to communicate with Fiio is that thread over at Head-fi. Based on your experience, I think I'll pull the trigger on one myself.

11. bubba-ho-tep

One more thing about the file browser: you can only browse on memory card at a time, but I think that's normal for these types of devices.

12. Overfloater8

Overfloater8 Forum Resident

James Fiio, the principal owner of Fiio, regularly posts in this thread:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/7515

I, too, plunked down on the x5 and don't regret it. It cannot be beat at this price point and I'm not interested in waiting around for Pono, which the x5 may well be superior to, but who knows at this point. It easily aces my two previous DAP's, the Cowon D2 and D3, which were no slouches, but had file and sample rate limitations which caused me to upgrade. Also, their UI left a lot to be desired.

The build quality is superb. You could defend yourself with this thing. It's like a rock. No muggings will occur with the x5 at your side.
    The x5 has handled every file I've thrown at it whether it be 24/96, .flac, or .wav. It has been relatively future proofed with the possibility to increase miniSD card storage to 256GB when these cards become widely available. The SQ is the best I've heard from a DAP. I love that it can also work as a DAC and I regularly AUX in to my car cd/dvd player in my car. Battery life is also excellent. Mostly though I bought this for SQ, practicality (DAC, AUX in, plays ever file under the sun up to 24/192 and .dsd!), and robust storage.

My early criticisms are it seems a bit too analytical (lacking bass) with my etymotic HF5 headphones, although I think this has more to do with my ears being used to my Sennheiser pxc 250 headphones which were more sensitive to low end sonics. I'm still futzing with the eq to resolve this...probably is the HF5's though and not the x5's fault. The UI could be a little better implemented. You do have to scroll around a bit to get to what you want. Also one must be very cognizant of labeling bands properly, but this is easy to figure out. It does take some time to get used to the unlabeled buttons on the exterior but this too comes with time, and really the only mystery is the top two buttons as the bottom three are pretty self explanatory. I think the button criticism has been blown out of proportion by many reviews I've read. Other than that I've had one or two minor problems with it reading some files, but those have come from questionable sources...

I would recommend the Fiio x5.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  13. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Thank you all for the reviews. I'm giving this player serious consideration.

14. bubba-ho-tep

According to a post at Head-Fi, firmware 2.0 should be out very soon with unspecified new features and bug fixes.

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I ordered mine yesterday but the comments here helped me feel even about my decision! Anyone know where I can find a good deal on a nice quality 64gb or 128gb micro SD now :)? I'd better start saving up for some upgraded 'phones now, too.

16. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I just ordered mine.

I've been doing a lot of walking lately and plan to keep it up. This will make it much more enjoyable. Plus it's a DAC and a usb hi-res sound card of sorts for when I travel. It was a no brainer as long as it's a quality product.

The only issue I can foresee is with the non replaceable battery, but that's no different than with my Samsung tablets.

17. gloomrider

Is everyone buying theirs from Head Direct?

18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I got mine from an Amazon seller as soon as they had one offering it for list (others were trying to charge $399 or more). Micca Store is an authorized dealer as well and they have them in stock. They only reasons I didn't buy from them were a) they are PayPal only and I wanted to use a credit card and b) their processing and shipping was going to take up to 10 business days and I was being impatient.

19. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I use PayPal but have it go right to my credit card.

20. bubba-ho-tep

I ordered from Head Direct. It took a couple of days for them to actually ship it, but once they did it took just three days for it to get from Shanghai to my front porch.

21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Sure. My PayPal currently goes directly to my bank account, but of course I could change that. The shipping was a bigger issue for me as I wanted it as soon as possible. I'm glad I did grab it as I checked and there are currently no sellers offering it for list on Amazon (which means my seller sold 10 units in 24 hours).

22. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Oh, I made sure that PayPal never pulls money from my checking account again. Last week an unauthorized PayPal charge came through and wiped out all the money in my checking account. My bank said there was nothing they could do about it and it surely wasn't their error. I ended up getting it back from the merchant, though it was a royal pain.

They've now put a stop order on any future PayPal charges. Now I never have to worry about accidently having one of my PayPal charges come out of my checking account if I forget to check 'other' in the check out process.

23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Good tip, thanks. Thankfully I'm lucky if I use Paypal more than 1 a year but I'll make the change nonetheless.

24. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I find it handy since it doesn't require me to enter my CC info each time I make a purchase. I know I can store my CC number with some merchants but I feel better going through PayPal, and having it come out of the CC account. I use it for HDTracks and other online music vendors.

25. bubba-ho-tep

Firmware 2.0 now available from the Fiio website. I just installed it but have yet to do any in-depth analysis of the new changes. UI is pretty much the same, though.

A quick question: would leaving the backlight on during playback significantly reduce charge life? I'd prefer to leave it on during playback, but not if it toasts my battery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.