Films that should be on DVD but aren't

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ashleyfan, Jun 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Still waiting for After Hours with Griffin Dunne. Rosanna Arqutte and a cast of dozens.

Does anyone know if the short stop-action animation of William S. Burrough's The Junky's Christmas is available on DVD? It was released by Francis Ford Copolla and originally aired on VH1 in the early 90's(?)

thanks -

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Yeah me too!

(Arlo Pear to his daughter's boyfriend) "Where did you meet this guy, is there an as****e convention in town?"

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

DVDFile.com says Roger And Me will be out August 19th, around the same time Bowling For Columbine comes out.

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Agreed, that's a terrific movie (and an eerily prescient one; Lonesome Rhodes would be a perfect fit for any number of talk-radio and cable news shows today).

How about Martin Ritt's The Front? The best movie ever about McCarthy-era blacklisting, it features a superb pair of performances from Woody Allen and Zero Mostel.

5. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

"Home of the Brave", the movie by Laurie Anderson.

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

A second vote for Tim Burton's ED WOOD. Incredibly, this is also one of my mother's favorite films. She just loves Ed's unshakeable, non-judgemental optimism: "Perfect!"

7. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

The Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto series would be nice.

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

There was a concert film made in the early 80's called Urgh! A Music War that featured a couple dozen punk/new wave bands of the day. Early Go-Go's, The Cramps, Oingo Boingo, Dead Kennedys, The Police (Zenyatta era at the latest), UB40, Steel Pulse, Gary Numan, X, Devo, and many others. Even if most of the bands have disbanded by now, it is still interesting (and often hilarious) to watch. There is even a Yahoo website and mailing list supporting a drive to get the film reissued on DVD, since it was on VHS briefly in the mid 80's. The VHS version goes for a good price on eBay--I hate to play mine very often...should copy it.

Mr. Bill has it on his IRS website at this page: http://www.irscorner.com/compst/st.html (The soundtrack album does NOT include all of the performances in the film.)

10. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

:thumbsup: ... Lee Remick's film debut ... another good Elia Kazan movie is Wild River 1960 starring Montgomery Cliff and Lee Remick with a great Kenyon Hopkins soundtrack ... the movie and/or the soundtrack is unavailable in any format ... I did find a 45 of the opening music track.

ShockControl likes this.
  11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Ones I've never seen on video, period: Arabesque (Gregory Peck, Sophia Loren), and Experiment in Terror (Lee Remick). Two films I've owned the soundtracks to for years (both Mancini), but have never caught the films.

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Music Movies:
    Strawberry Statement
    Onr Trick Pony

13. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member Thread Starter

"Song of the South"-Disney is keeping one of its treasures hidden by keeping this one on the shelf. I also wish Warner Brothers would do a DVD release of the "Censored 11" from the original elements in its vault, with a documentary about the reasons the cartoons have been banned for all these years. If they were afraid of these films negatively influencing young kids, they could market this solely to adults as a piece of film history.

14. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

A few more music movies:

"Concerts For Kampuchea"
    "Eric Clapton's Rolling Hotel"
    "Nothing But The Blues" (Martin Scorcese's Clapton documentary)

15. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Young Sherlock Holmes. And shockingly the 1938 Robin Hood. (How about a 65th anniversary release?)

Brian

16. Steven

Steven Senior Member

The Last Big Thing is an indie comedy I saw on either Movie Channel or HBO a few years ago. Recently, I felt the urge to see it again. Not I only could I not find a DVD, I discovered it's never even been released on VHS - only theatrically and then to cable. The cinematographer has a few posts on Usenet, and it's there I found the confirmation that it's never been released on video.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

W.C.Fields It's A Gift
    The Rest Of The Three Stooges Shorts up to Shemp...
    Jekyl And Hyde-Together Again...Mark Blankfield.

18. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Raise the Red Lantern

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I thought of one:

TROUBLE IN MIND, which is sort of a cross between a film noir and a European sci-fi dystopia. What I remember most about it was Divine playing a strangely menacing, effeminate male gangster. Watching it the first time, I couldn't place the actor until very late in the film. At one point he says something like, "Do it, or I'll have your lungs filled with water."

20. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I taped it and and watched it off of cable...Director Alan Rudolph made a steady stream of interesting movies in a Robert Altman kind of mode, not surprising since Altman was the producer of Rudolph's first two films, "Welcome To LA" and "Remember My Name."

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It had a release date last year. I went to buy it that Tuesday and the clerk told me (along with two other guys there to buy it) that the release was pulled. Anyone know why this happened?:confused:

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

WB are apparently working on a deluxe SE of The Adventures of Robin Hood for later this year. They are further acknowledging the fact that Errol Flynn used to make pictures for them (which DVD purchasers would not have known) with the recent release of "Objective Burma" and the forthcoming release of "Master of Ballantrae". No word on release dates for "The Sea Hawk" or "Captain Blood", though.

Regards,

23. Ken_McAlinden

One title I am surprised has not been released yet since it was a financial success for Universal is 1995's "Casper". I'm not exactly pining for it, but it would probably make them some money, so I expected it to come out sooner. It is of some historical interest since it is likely the first feature film released where the protaganist was a CGI creation. It pre-dated even Toy Story by 6 months.

Regards,

24. Ken_McAlinden

The story is that Tim Burton pulled the plug on the R1 DVD until he could get more personally involved with its production. This is, of course, a classic good news/bad news scenario since his schedule looks pretty hectic for the next year or so.

Regards,

25. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Evil Roy Slade a hilarious movie with John Astin. Also the Ed Wood thread reminded me of Terror Of Tiny Town another stupendously bad movie, a midget western.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.