Films that should be on DVD but aren't

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ashleyfan, Jun 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

That was killer funny, I saw that on TV one Sunday afternoon and it became one of my favorites on my B Movie list!. Life was tough before the VCR!

2. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

"Sign O' The Times"
    Probably the best concert film of the 80s (next to Stop Making Sense), this one is a nicely-edited Prince concert from the tour of the same name.

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

"Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me"
    I know, it IS out on DVD, but not as Lynch wanted! He spent a lot of time and money putting together a great collection of outtakes from the film (including characters from the TV show that were completely cut from the film). Basically, the studio didn't own the outtakes, so they couldn't put it on the domestic DVD. However, there's still hope... check out the campaign for the deleted scenes:
    http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight/

More on topic though...

"Lost Highway"
    "Wild At Heart"

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Geesh, one of the best music Movies ever, "The Glenn Miller Story".

One of my favorites.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

[​IMG]
    Available for less than US$10 if you shop around. Feel free to post a review in my cheap DVDs thread if you pick it up. ;)

Regards,

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ken, youre the greatest!!!

Thanks!!

7. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Dragonslayer-1981

Best movie dragon there ever was.....and yes, I did see Dragonheart...sadly.

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I was just about to list this after trying to rent it from netflix.com! Definitely one of the great concert films, and I'm sorry the actual soundtrack was never released. (Note to Prince: How hard is it to start issuing a DICK'S PICKS series of concert recordings when you're not signed to a major label?) Anyway, I remember the video for "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" was this concert version, not the sparer album cut.

FYI for non-fans: The album SIGN O THE TIMES was pretty much a Prince solo studio job with guest artists, while the movie of the same name is a genuine concert, kinda like Neil Young's RUST NEVER SLEEPS album and movie.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Right on! Dragonslayer had the most convincing dragon ever on screen, and the whole look and feel of the movie was just right. Interesting story too--for once, the hero was too late to save the princess!

Dragonheart isn't a great flick, but it's much better than last summer's abysmal dragon movie, Reign of Fire.:rolleyes: The worst movie I paid to see in 2002.

10. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

My want list, some already mentioned, and some rumored to be in production (but I, the cynic, believe it when it is on the shelves...):

Bringing Up Baby
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Gunga Din
    A Letter to Three Wives
    The Thing (original, supposedly later this year -yay!-)
    The Grapes of Wrath
    King Kong (original)
    Meshes of the Afternoon
    Laura
    Tokyo Story
    The Magnificent Ambersons
    Blow-Up
    Short Cuts

And two personal favorites, Hal Hartley's Amateur and Simple Men...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

11. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

DVDPlanet is taking preorders for the Indiana Jones trilogy, release date 11/4- same release date for Laura (finally)

12. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

The original 1967 Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore Faustian classic "Bedazzled." Stanley Donen's 60's masterpiece!

And conversely, all existing DVD copies of the remake should be melted down and turned into car floormats.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The original King King will supposedly show up on DVD soon.

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The same goes with the 1938 Robin Hood movie.

15. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Also, how about a Region 1 "Eating Raoul"

???

16. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The Digital Bits is reporting that one film I've been waiting for on DVD for some time--Monty Python's The Meaning of Life--is due for special edition release September 2. "Look for anamorphic widescreen video, both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio, a new introduction by Eric Idle, audio commentary, deleted scenes, The Meaning of Making the Meaning of Life documentary and a slew of featurettes..."

17. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Did anyone mention Episodes 4, 5, and 6? Shindler's List?

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hey SK,
    Your signature is quite interesting...If I think Liquid, Will I drown in my thoughts?

19. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

There are rumors that Schindler's List will be release late 2003/early 2004.
    As for episodes 4, 5, and 6 (I'm assuming you mean Star Wars) still no word from George Lucas on when they will come out, or what version they will be (original theatrical version, or the crappy "Special edition").

I'm sure they'll eventually be issued multiple times on DVD.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It was out in a bare-bones edition from Image for a few years until their licensing agreement with Universal expired and was not renewed. An SE is certainly welcome. I'm intrigued by the deleted scenes as that was the highlight of the Life of Brian Criterion SE. The various Pythons always have amusing and informative commentaries, too.

Regards,

21. Ere

Ere Senior Member

It could be buried in the thread, but....

Over at the Home Theater Forum
    they had a web chat in April with honchos from Warner Brothers about all their recent and upcoming DVD releases, including this happy news:
    After just viewing their excellent double-disc reissue of Singin' in the Rain this is great news. Robin Hood and Treasure are two of my all-time favorite movies!

Ere

22. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I think there is some foreign import version of Sign of the Times available.

The greatest cinematic Shakespeare adaptation, IMO is Kenneth Branaugh's Hamlet. And it's not out on DVD.

After that, they have to release the 2nd season of Twin Peaks.

23. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Re: It could be buried in the thread, but....

I hope the Treasure disc comes with a coupon for Applebees or someplace, y'know, to stake this fellow American to a meal. :D

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I second the motion!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

25. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

As cheesey as it may be, I'd like to see Robert Altman's 'Popeye' on DVD with a commentary, a few extras, and maybe even a popeye cartoon or two as bonus material.

I can't really get the perspective of how this film may be considered a 'bomb.' When it was released in 1980, I was in sixth grade and I enjoyed it immensely. I thought the songs by Harry Nillson were pretty good too. I even had the soundtrack album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.