Films You Could Never Watch Again Because ...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sternodox, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Let's not open a can of worms. Politics are forbidden on this forum, and would be off topic anyway

"Milk" was a terrific film. "Philadelphia"; another great one "The colour purple" too.

2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Exactly how I felt but the film was "Sid and Nancy." In The Doors we were at least given a balance with some redeeming people and some trippy 60's effects. S&N made want to bathe.
    Never watched it again.
    I did watch other Alex Cox films with a fondness for Straight to Hell and, of course, Repo-Man.
    Stone went on to make some other fine films but that's mho.

3. The Todd Solondz movie Happiness. It was a good movie overall, but it went to some emotionally bleak and ugly places I wouldn't care to revisit.

Jarleboy, eddiel and GodShifter like this.
  4. Even worse, a revisit makes the reveal seem even dumber IMHO.

T'mershi Duween and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Lawrence of Arabia.

Love it, and have seen it many times, but after the last 70mm viewing at the Cinerama in Seattle decided that would be the last time because it is just too long!

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

An American Crime. Knowing it was a true story kept me up for nights after seeing it.

panasoffkee likes this.
  7. You can always get the blu-ray and watch it in installments, or just a favorite scene. My favorite movie of all-time. I agree with the late Roger Ebert: bad movies are too long; great movies aren't long enough.

Jarleboy and Steve Martin like this.
  8. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Somehow The Girl Next Door was made in the same year as An American Crime. It is the same story and hard to watch again as well.

9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I've heard of that one. It sort of takes more of a horror movie approach, doesn't it? I don't think I want to see that one ever either.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  10. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I actually watched it a few months ago - yeah, it was something else...

Borgia likes this.
  11. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

No, it's a drama. Not very horror like. That's what makes it hard to watch again. The flat dramatic approach.

mmars982 likes this.
  12. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

You could have said something before I screened 'A Serbian Film' for my middle school geography students...

13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Se7en was the one for me. Too disturbing; can't watch it again. Runner up goes to "Train Of Life". A 1998 "tragi-comedy" about an Eastern European Jewish village's attempt to escape the holocaust. I could probably watch it again (meaning it's not overly distrubing to me), but I probably won't.

The film takes you in an optimistic direction and then completely pulls out the rug from underneath you. The entire village boards a train and is nearly at the border, which will mean they've made it to safety. At the last second it cuts to one of the characters in a concentration camp and you realize the whole story was this character's imagination/daydream and every character is actually in the camp and awaiting death. Heartbreaking. Edit: Since it's been 20 years since I've seen it (nearly) I re-read the plot on Wikipedia. Apparently it isn't the character's imagination per se but he apparently went insane witnessing the atrocities committed against his friends/fellow villagers. The film is the story he has "made up" for himself in his lunacy.

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I thought of another one! How did I forget?? "Incendies"! My mother-in-law bought it because she's Canadian and heard it was a good film (it's a Canadian production). We watched it over one of our holiday visits. The film involves two Middle Eastern fraternal twins (one male and one female), raised in Canada, tasked with finding their father and brother back in the Middle East as this was their mother's dying wish. Man, I was angry with the movie by the time the climax is reached. I wish I could have those 2+ hours back. It's not terribly made, it's just a story I never, ever needed to see being told. It's heartbreaking, brutal and it left me seriously thinking that sometimes ignorance IS bliss.

This definitely tops the list of films I will NEVER see again.

15. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

NBM is a great film. Never want to watch it again though.

16. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Both the Crumb and Nilsson docs left me feeling somewhat depressed afterwards.

17. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

I totally agree, I just cannot stand that scene without feeling upset and sick.
    Also the Coen brothers disastrous remake of one of the greatest British films `The Ladykillers`, which is just a constant stream of `F**K, MotherF****r, F*****g, and so on.
    and before any one accuses me of being a prude, one of my favourite films is `The Big Lebowski`.

Sternodox likes this.
  18. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Requiem for a Dream

rockerreds likes this.
  19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'll agree - but only because it's one of my favorite novels of all time and the movie didn't come close to doing it justice.

peopleareleaving likes this.
  20. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Never read the book. The film gave me head nausea (not because it was bad, or as the result of a filming technique). Icky comes to mind.

93curr likes this.
  21. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Hachi: A Dog's Tale.....a very moving and sad movie especially for animal lovers.
    I was touched for sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DHamilton likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love Schindler's List. I watch it about once a year. The subject matter might be disturbing but it's a great film with excellent performances. It's actually one of my favorite movies. You want a truly disturbing movie on a similar subject? Watch "Come and See" (1985). It's a Russian film with subtitles. It's brutal.

turnersmemo and Nice Marmot like this.
  23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

saw around 15 minutes of it, turned it off. Nope, not going there. You're brace for watching it all the way through.
    Many years ago, someone recommended a comedy (I'm serious) to my wife called the White Dog. No fun stuff there, just plenty of sobbing

24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I can take a lot, but no Hachi for me

25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I did re-watch Requiem for a Dream, but I won't do it again. It was even harder to watch knowing how these people end up. Ellen Burstyn's monologue is, in it's own way, the most wrenching thing in the whole movie. You won't see better acting than this:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.