Films you couldn't bear to finish watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's because The Avengers was essentially Iron Man 3 or 4.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The ending's the best part! Even though I know what's coming, it still gets me every time.

I always appreciated the lack of overt violence in "Se7en". A hack director would've shown the crimes as they happened, but Fincher leaves us with nothing but the aftermath. Even when a shooting does occur, he stages it from a distance...

norman_frappe likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Sure beats the ending the studio wanted...

4. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Wasn't there an alternate ending where Somerset kills Doe and says something like I'm retiring anyway? Or is that all in my head?

5. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Two recent ones.

Afflicted - Another found footage one that got good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I had no idea what the premise was when I started watching it. I thought it was terrible but the vampire genre has completely gone stale for me. Lasted about 45 mins.

They Came Together - A good cast with Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler. Once again pretty much good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. A satire of romantic comedies with a lot of Airplane type sight gags. I give most comedies 15 minutes. If I don't at least chuckle once, it goes off. I gave this one a half hour and nothing. One reviewer described it as a 90 minute SNL skit. I agree. An unfunny one.

6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I just bought and watched Robin Williams' Seize The Day. He is so good, but the film is so depressing about a father so disappointed in his son he can't love him. A very sad film. The beginning of a very good career in film.

7. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

This has to be in my top ten most overrated films of all time. The script is atrocious and poor Lee Ermey, who I think is a very good actor, gets stuck with awful lines and such a stilted character.

8. I still say John Doe undermined whatever moral credibility he had by doing what he did, but eh. Still a great movie!

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, the extra ending of Se7en is on the disc.

norman_frappe likes this.
  10. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

When Salo turned to _ _ _ _ I quite watching, not my cup of tea!

11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Much Ado About Nothing(2013)-Quite possibly the worst acting I have seen.

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You might not like the filmmaking, but what happens in the movie is taken from the memoirs of Solomon Northup almost unchanged. So you can't call it clichés, because it's what really happened.

13. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Ah you must be referring to the wedding feast! :uhhuh:

14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

If we are limiting this to movies that I have walked out after a while, and got my money back...Jim Carrey's "I Love You Phillip Morris".

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

big fan of Mark! also I dug all the rest...not a crapper in the pack.

16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Interesting, I thought the leads were excellent as was most of the supporting cast, made my top 5 films of 2013 list.

93curr likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Just because it actually happened doesn't mean it's not cliche. Hell, look at this board - people post the same cliches all the time! :laugh:

18. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I saw Calvary last night. Excellent film, but the end was very difficult. The whole movie was described to me by the folks at the theater (I am there a lot) as "bleak". All I can add is "devastatingly so."

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

So you missed the surprise ending? You did grasp that Carrey was a con artist and there's a twist (a la The Sting) in the final act?

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Menace 2 Society

21. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

The Lord Of The Ringzzzzzzzz.....

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

We left about the time that he "became acquainted" with his cell mate. The first twenty minutes or so was very clever, and then it fell very flat (in my opinion).

23. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I've left a few films before completion. Not many, but when I do, it's because I've considered the possibility of some sort of WOW! surprise ending, but still, all-in-all, the characters, story, script or other factor or combination was not enough to hold my interest, or (even rarer but possible) the film was so devoid of values or human spirit to me that I decided to cut my losses.

Borat was a film that fit this last category, although I stayed to its completion because I'd taken my son to see it. At least it allows me to state how much I dislike it without someone responding, "If only you'd stayed a little longer to the surprise ending."

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  24. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Pretty Baby
    Looking For Mr. Goodbar
    Inserts

These were all theater exits. I'm sure I've turned tapes & discs off for various reasons, but theater exits seem like a stronger statement and left more of an impression.

25. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Arguably Spikes Lee's best films as an director. That doesn't bode well for the rest of his output.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.