"Finally" a GREAT All Things Must Pass

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joelee, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Yep, that's what I have. The custom Apple Jam label and the Apple Records New York address. Cool! :)

2. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I know we can't say but...

I would love some info about Mickboy and his "labors of love". If you have any please email me privately at [email protected]

If this request is out of line please delete.

Thanks
    Bob

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Q for Steve

Did you remaster the Apple Jam tracks as well as the first two LPs. I must admit that while I got the LP the day it came out in 1970 (and I still have it), I have probably only listened to the "Apple Jam" once in my life, and all I remember is "It's Johnny's Birthday"!!

4. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

So what about the first UK presses?

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

They kept it forever, I think. I bought my copy in 1981 and it had a poster...

6. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

That's it. Nice LP. I had problems getting copies that had blueing and hazing in the vinyl, as well as a few that had crap pressed into the vinyl or wavy surfaces...which can create some nasty rumble. Eventually I found two great copies, and now I'm never touching another one again! If you look around, you can find nice copies cheap...there's a zillion out there. :)

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Love the orange first pressing Apple label copies of ATMP. They are sonic heaven. Just blows everything else away.:love:

8. I have a German pressing of this lp too and I can verify that it is as natural and intense to listen to as Jeendicott staes. I was blown right out of my socks by this record.

9. wes

wes Senior Member

Steve,

What was the story with the first two Lennon albums? How did they crash and burn?...........................You had a mastered version of Plastic Ono Band and Imagine?..........I feel a big lump in my throat........:cry:

-Wes

10. John

John Senior Member

If anyone has a Near Mint 1st pressing they are willing to part with please PM me.

Thanks
    John

11. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

What are their distinctive markings? I bought one recently on which the dead wax is stamped with a little pyramid inside which are the letters "I A M" (... I AM? was this mastered by Yahweh?) Is it original?

How does one tell the later pressings -- I know someone pressed a bunch in the '80s (Specialty, I think) using original labels.

12. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

I have one of those. The dead wax has an SRC logo and a very faint "Mastered by Capitol". The labels are all the same as the original run, but the vinyl is much lighter. The spine says STCH-639, not APPLE STCH-639. The back cover has a white paste-on with the song titles and like that. It has no mention of Apple, ony Capitol.

the other Wes

13. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

My capital has some drastic speed variation on the last two tracks 3rd side. Definately not due to an off center hole. I also hear it somewhat on the 2001 vinyl but not nearly as drastic. Are all the capital pressings like that?

Steve, I hope you get the chance to remaster this again.

edit: I tried one of the Apples last night and they also have the same speed variations in Awaiting & All Things..., I suppose they all were like that. But it must not have been desired since the 2001 attempts to correct it.

14. Guy from Ohio

I'd thought I'd post some Mp3s so you can hear what I'm talking about

Apple STCH-639
    Here is an Apple (US) Issued 1970-1976
    http://www.digitalmgi.net/guy/1Apple.mp3
    the speed varies here and also on the track after it on the vinyl

STCH-639

Here is an Orange label Capital Issued 1976-1978
    (I bought this new in '78 my first copy)
    http://www.digitalmgi.net/guy/2Capital.mp3
    the speed varies here and also on the track after it on the vinyl
    also, on my orange label Abbey Road, "Here Comes the Sun" does this too.
    makes me shy away from Orange labels.

Here is a Purple label Capital Issued 1978-1983
    (It's an early one with "Congratulations" instead of "Johnny's B-Day")
    http://www.digitalmgi.net/guy/3Capital.mp3
    Wonderful, great sound, $25 near mint a great deal!

A Black Capital label was issued 1983
    I don't have

A Capital with Apple labels was issued 1988
    I don't have

GN
    The 2001 vinyl remaster
    http://www.digitalmgi.net/guy/4GN.mp3
    $50 new is pricey, did they digitally respace the timing?

PRC-5101
    One of the Japanese versions
    http://www.digitalmgi.net/guy/5PRC5101.mp3
    A Black Cat (BC-???) also exists

I have to say that of the 3 US Apples I bought 1 plays fine and sounds great, just like the purple Capital, but 2 don't.

15. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I haven't read all of these posts, but why not spread a nice copy of this on a Direct Connect (or Bit-Torrent) hub...freely...for everyone to enjoy? Simply encode into .shn and let everyone check it out.

16. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I would be willing to do that for my version of the remaster (the source mickboy used for his version), but I don't know how. What software encodes to .shn? I would also need somewhere to put it. Anyone have a web site I could park it on?

17. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

mkwACT can do the conversion. You can download it here:

http://www.etree.org/mkw.html

Then, "host" or "share" it on a public Direct Connect hub. To download the software to be able to connect to the hubs, download it here:

http://www.neo-modus.com/?page=Download

Or, If someone can mail me the CD's, I will be happy to do the conversion, and open 5 slots for people to download...if they promise to "share it" for others to download from them...and on...and on... and on...

Eventually, everyone can get a free lossless copy to enjoy.

18. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Actually, I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding "speed changes". I recently finished doing my own CD-R transfer from a U.S. Apple 1st pressing, so here is a matching sample for you to compare.

19. audio

audio New Member

So, what IS the definitive legitimate issue of ATMP on cd? Does the original US disc sound best?

20. Guy from Ohio

ascot: you really can't hear the speed variation in those first two examples?

I also have a U.S. Apple that sounds great, but it took me three tries to get it. I just wanted to point out that there are some rotten apples out there, Capitals too, but also good versions if you keep looking.

I can't hear any difference between my good Apple and my good Capital. The Japanese version I have sounds brighter and wobbles all over the platter.
    The remaster, well I know I'm not suppose to like it, but I honestly can't find fault with it, except that you can get a near mint vintage for about half the price.

I'm on dial-up at the moment, I didn't realize it took so long to download these tiny examples! When I get back to the office I'll try to convert them to a streaming media.

(I don't know about the CDs, I made a CD-r too)

21. Alan

Alan New Member

The ATMP that I have from '70.
    STCH-1-639-Z29 #1
    STCH-2-639-Z26 #2
    STCH-3-639-Z27 #1
    STCH-4-639-Z26 #2
    STCH-5-639-Z29 #1
    STCH-6-639-Z27 #1
    Orange label Apple.
    Green label- Apple Jam.

Alan

22. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Listening to them all again, I think I do see what you mean. My copy doesn't seem to have the problem. However, all of the copies have a drop out in the left channel right before "the Lord is awaiting on you all to awaken and see".

23. audio

audio New Member

As if the Harrison family really needs the money. They only own what......... like eight castles or so?

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Is it piracy? Without a doubt. It's an unauthorized version of a legitimate release.

Pure and simple? No. Two issues come up:

1) I don't think Mickboy ever tried to convince anyone his release was legit. Pirates usually attempt to pass off their wares as the real thing - that's not the case here;

2) The Mickboy version exists in an attempt to fill a void that's not monetary. Pirates create their copies solely to make bucks and steal away from people who would otherwise buy the real thing. Anyone who gets the Mickboy edition would be more than happy to purchase a high quality legit version, but none exists. Maybe it's a little extreme to call it a labor of love, but it's sure not meant as a money-making venture.

The fact remains: if Apple produced a good CD of "All Things...", there'd be no Mickboy version...

Does that legitimize stealing? Not that I regard the Mickboy version as true piracy, but just because someone has a lot of money doesn't make it okay to withhold earnings that are due to them...

25. Guy from Ohio

Alan:
    Here are the wax markings on the 3 Apple sets I have (except for the Jams)

STCH-1-639-Z-1 #3
    STCH-2-639-Z5
    STCH-3-639-Z1 #2
    STCH-4-639-Z21 #2

STCH-1-639-Z23 #2
    STCH-2-639-Z9 #2
    STCH-B-639-Z9 #2
    STCH-4-639-Z9 #2

STCH-1-639-Z26
    STCH-2-639-Z9 #2
    STCH-B-639-Z9 #4
    STCH-4-639-Z9 #5

I hope that's right, the twos are difficult to tell from zees, the B's are actually threes on top of ones.

I can't decipher age from them.
    Only the last set plays well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.