Finally a marble slab under my Scout TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WHitese, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member Thread Starter

Quite a big improvement...funny how much better whan the little needle doesnt have to fend off so many foreign vibrations!

[​IMG]

2. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

That's interesting, I always thought that granite or marble rings which would promote vibration and/or resonance even more.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Ooh. I'd opt for a sheet of cork underneath the marble. :goody:

4. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member Thread Starter

Its true that marble rings...as a matter of fact almost everything rings at some particular frequency. You do have a point though. I dont sense any ill effects due to that though... But I also think that the cone feet of the Scout decouples it somewhat from the marble?

What I do hear is what the large mass brings to the equation.

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

That looks pretty good. I need to get something under my Scout too. I'm leaning toward the Gingko Cloud platform right now.

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

I'd opt for a sheet of Sorbothane underneeth the marble.

Sorbothane is the most amazing substance on the face of the earth! It absorbs ALL vibrations. I have sorbothane underneeth all of my components, and it really improves things a lot!

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I've got a Bright Star Air Mass with a slab of granite on top of it which is under my turntable. I did have a slight feedback problem when I set it up in this room as it has a wooden floor and is not on a slab. In my last room I had a concrete floor and had no noticeable problems. With the Air Mass and the granite all feedback is virtually gone now. I've heard that granite is not audiophile approved but it does seem to work well here. The Air Mass by itself was too small for my turntable. The granite was basically a ploy to allow the turntable to fit on the Air Mass. My turntable is a Technics SP-10 Mk II professional table with the Obsidian bass which was made for it.

8. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

After years of trying a lot of different surfaces to play my TT on, I finally realised that what was important was NOT so much to isolate the turntable but to make sure that the surface the turntable was sitting on allowed any vibrations that reached the turntable to filter back out again as quickly as possible so as not to upset the stylus sitting in the groove!
    JG

9. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I agree with James - some sort of hard cone leading away from the TT into a thick slab of maple, which is supported underneath by sorbethene feet, all resting on top of an isolated platform is probably ideal.

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I agree with the sorbothane comments. Amazing stuff. Use it all the time in the studio.

11. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Yup, me too. It is all over my studio! I also use it when I am doing live sound. It works great to decouple an amplifier from the stage, thereby eliminating stage resonance. Works especally well with bass amps! It is really amazing stuff!

12. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

My TT sits on an 'L' shaped counter that is 100% wall mounted. I'm sure wall mounting is not perfect but I can't complain. I think the only floor I'd trust would be a concrete slab. Of course, if you don't have kids or pets ymmv :).

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:thumbsup:

14. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I use the full blown Bright Star system under my VPI TNT-HR, both the Air Mass and the Big Rock (a 100 lb sand box). Very dead! :D

15. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Hi Alp,

The only problem I have the the Bright Star is that the load on top of it has to be balanced. Since my turntable has more weight on the left side, under the motor, I must offset the slab and turntable to keep it level.

Btw, the way I determined how much feedback attenuation this unit provided is to stop the turntable while the stylus is in the groove or a record. Then one can turn up the gain and tap on the base of the turntable. In my case, I still hear my tapping on the base of the table, but if I tap on the cabinet below the Air Mass I hear much much less. Prior to the Air Mass, the tapping on both places provided nearly equal levels through the speakers. Since installing the Air Mass and the slab, the attenuation of feedback is approximately 20db. That is pretty substantial attenuation if you ask me.

16. Tony Plachy

Doug, The TNT Air Mass has 4 air balloons in it (one in each corner) so leveling is easy. I do understand your concern, I have other single ballon Air Masses under tube equipment and they are not perfectly level (OK for tubes, not good for TT's).

17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

18. Tony Plachy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.