Finally a simple way to playback DVD-A on PC!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by captainsolo, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Foobar2000 now has a extension that is installed like the Dynamic Range Meter, DVD-A Decoder.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/
    Installed and in a few seconds and am enjoying my Automatic For The People DualDisc for the first time. (Never have had a player that would open the DVD-A portion) Once you load the disc, Foobar loads in the playlist: the full surround album as a single track, the full album in stereo downmix, the full album as hi-res stereo, and all as separated hi-res tracks.
    :D

pinktree1 likes this.
  2. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member

Cool. I'll have to try this out with my SINATRA AT THE SANDS DVD-A.

3. Back in 2005 I bought a Sound Blaster sound card, which played DVD-A. Later that year they came out with the Xtreme Hi-Fi sound cards, and I can't remember if they played DVD-A as well.

4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

sorry I don't get it,how do you play a dvd audio disc in your computer drive??
    same problem with sacd

5. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

Any love for Mac?

6. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

No its not the same as SACD. DVD-A is based on DVD technology as name implies, with the right software it plays on any DVD-ROM. I've been playing DVD-A on my PC for years using Power DVD or WinDVD (at least until version 7, they lost licence rights for DVD-A because someone was able to hack it). Foobar sounds like it might be easier to use, but nothing new here.

To OP - if you want to rip the hi res files from your DVD-A, look for a program called DVD-A Explorer. It was released in 2008 (nothing new here!) and is a great little program, it will decode compressed MLP files on the fly, and let you rip surround and/or stereo tracks. Store them on your hard drive as a wav file, or compress them with FLAC, and you can play them in foobar without any additional components. All my DVD-As (all 5 of em!) are on my hard drive now.

But unfortunately haven't found a way to play SACD on my PC.

7. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I knew there were probably ways to rip, but I just always wanted to be able to simply play the disc in my PC.

Putting the disc in the drive will have it recognized as a DVD and will play the video layer much like any other regular DVD player. But if you add this app to Foobar and open the entire disc in the window then for most discs it will read and be able to play all the files stored, including those in the DVD-A layer.

8. ANDYSHEDD

ANDYSHEDD Forum Resident

It is possible to download SACD ISOs ripped from SACDs on older PS3 systems and then play them in foobar2000 using foo_input_sacd

9. Jeff8086

Jeff8086 Forum Resident

Well, it is possible to play them in foobar2000 using foo_input_sacd if you rip your own SACDs with a PS3 for backup ;) .

10. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

Foobar is a outstanding tool but its a shame it takes up way to much CPU. I just use foobar to covert and rip DTS or Dvd Audio..When it come to listening to music i use Trout which uses hardly any cpu and plays 5.1 like a champ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.