Finally got a plasma tv.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Seems the 4K is the best bang for a buck. OLED still for the millionaire club.

2. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

We bought our first Panasonic plasma in 2008. It's a 37" 720p model and the picture is simply fabulous, even in SD. Also, because it isn't wafer-thin, it has decent sound - something that newer models don't often have.

We bought our second Panasonic plasma in 2009. This is a 46" 1080p. SD isn't quite so good but the colour is still fabulous and HD is wonderful.

Our third Panasonic is a 26" LCD from 2012. This also has great colour, as does the second hand 42" Panasonic LCD which we acquired from our daughter this year.

TBH, all of our Panasonic TV's have great, natural and warm colour. This is at odds with the Sony LCDs from the noughties that my in-laws had, wherein the colours were indeed a bit cartoony and wherein the greens were extremely blue-ish.

3. alexpop

I know this may seem unimportant to some but I value good TV stands and remotes. It's usually a good indication that the tv itself is of high standard manufacturing.

4. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

I purchased out Samsung PN51F5300 in 2014, new from Best Buy. As far as I know it was the last 51" plasma that Samsung made. Love it!

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I still got a 50" Plasma in my Bedroom. Still great picture, and not only heavy, but they sure throw off a lot of heat!!!

DonnyMe likes this.
  6. alexpop

Mines is a hot puppy 95f
    ideal as a winter ❄️ warmer,
    but sahara in the summer ☀️ months.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    DonnyMe and 4xoddic like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

OLED TVs are 4K. And as noted, you can get a 2016 55" LG OLED for $1750 or less - not cheap, but not solely for the wealthy, either...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. alexpop

I seen a Samsung at the weekend for 9000 dollars, mind you it was 82".:)

9. alexpop

LG signature is a beaut.
    6000 + dollars, yo mama.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Obviously there are some TVs that are insanely expensive. That doesn't negate the fact you can get a good OLED TV at a reasonable price and they're not just for 1%ers...

11. alexpop

I love ❤️ window shopping you see some beauty's and it don't cost a cent.

12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Welcome to the plasma club! My Panasonic VIERA TC-P55GT50 55-Inch Plasma is going strong, and I've loved everything about it since I bought it in November 2012.

Hopefully, it will last another 3-4 years and OLED will be perfected and less expensive by then. In the meantime, I don't really have any complaints. Best TV I've ever owned by a country mile.

13. alexpop

Ditto regarding timing( Panny durability) i got my 55" in January sale 2013.

jriems likes this.
  14. alexpop

Shopping :
    Salesman was shocked when I asked him "do you have any 3D TVs?" His reply "nada ".

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

OK; off topic here but I bought my first flat LCD/LED backlit panel (Philips)not 6 weeks ago (yeah I know:rolleyes:) and calibrating it was a real nightmare. With any of my past CRTs I could calibrate them perfectly in 10', but I kept tweaking mine up until a week ago; so many disconcerting adjustments on the menu !

Now there's this ¨noise reduction¨ feature I can't fathom. With over-the-air HD signals or heavy files (BRrips) it doesn't seem to do anything at all, but with those horrid soap operas my wife downloads in intolerable Q, the pic is very noisy, and upon applying the NR pic looses a lot of definition. So I set it a ¨medium¨ (factory setting)
    and called it a day.

Any suggestions regarding this function and when/whether to use it or not ? I'm otherwise very happy with my purchase, esp because it was 50% off at a Walmart Hotsale.

16. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Our 46" Panasonic sits on a Panasonic home theatre stand with 2-way stereo speakers and a built-in subwoofer with its own volume control. It's only stereo, but it certainly packs a punch; and unless you really need cinema surround sound (which, for me, better suits a cinema or true home theatre) it's more than good enough and avoids the problem of having to find somewhere to put 6 speakers and their associated cables plus an AV amplifier. And with Viera link it all works off the TV remote.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

My panny's got a heavy sturdy stand.
    Don't like the idea of wall mount, heat/weight issue.

18. alexpop

I seen a 75" but my viewing distance is about 9 feet. I've read ideal viewing distance is between 6-12 feet.

19. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

As a longtime owner (2007) of a Panasonic TH-42PZ77U plasma I can report:

No burn in of any kind. Watch it like a normal TV and you'll be fine.....just make sure if you watch a lot of 4:3 or letterboxed material to mix it up with 16:9/full screen material, and don't leave it on one channel 24/7.

PQ still excellent. I also have a larger 2016 4K Samsung LCD, but the Panny is still my main living room set. The Panasonic definitely better in a lot of ways, especially in regards to viewing angle and motion blur.

No issues with screen glare (the Panasonic's anti-glare coating does a good enough job as long as it's not facing a window).

The built in-speakers actually sound pretty good (unlike virtually all of today's flat screens).

Only one repair (SC board, which was on Panasonic's dime 3 years after the warranty expired, since it was a known manufacturing defect).

If/when it dies I'll probably step up to an OLED set. Hopefully it will last until prices come down on OLEDs.

20. alexpop

I'm definitely getting at least a 65"...maybe 75/82 ".

21. alexpop

I see SONY's got a 100 inch TV(KD100)
    But, 69.000 is way, way out of my price range. Elton John's no doubt has one. :)

22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Congrats. Had a Panny plasma back in the day and loved it. And here's a bonus-you can reduce your thermostat setting in the winter with all the heat that thing produces.

jriems and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

Still on Susanna Hoffs theme, huh.:laugh:

Splungeworthy likes this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Deesky covered most of what you have wrong, but missed that screen burn isn't an issue with a 10 year old set unless it was literally never used.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Plasma's are great. I've had my 50" Panny plasma for over 10 years, and it's as good/great as it was when I bought it. It's only 1080i, but for what I watch that's fine.

Panasonic's are built like tanks. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours for years to come. Congratulations!

marcb and Ghostworld like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.