Finally got a plasma tv.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I've probably color corrected 250,000 photos in Photoshop in my newspaper days. I love dialling.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's up to you of course, but as you have discovered when applying NR to a poor quality source, you trade one defect for another (ie, generally sharper image with lots of noise for a less noisy image that's smoothed out most detail).

Generally, people are advised to leave it off completely. That should certainly be the case for blurays, HD streaming & cable and good quality OTA transmissions. But, since what you're left with are poor quality sources and the fact that you trade one ill for another, I'd say it's not worth having it on at all (just sit farther back! :))

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Leave the NR off always.

Vidiot and The Pinhead like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

NR, enhancement, motion compensation, auto color, auto tint, auto white, auto black, automatic brightness level... they're all things of Pure E-Vil. I also turn off all the power-saving modes so the display doesn't try to use less power by changing contrast and brightness. What helps more than anything is to have an ISF-certified person come in and calibrate the set from the ground up, completely in manual mode.

James Glennon and chacha like this.
  5. chacha

Exactly correct on all the enhancement crap.
    As far as ISF calibrators, I've used a couple for my plasma that are great - David Abrams and D-Nice, both of which travel. Highly Recommend.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Dave Abrams is The Expert's Expert -- a first-class gentleman and a scholar.

chacha likes this.
  7. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Been using a Panasonic 58V10 as my main TV since 2009. Have thought of getting an OLED to replace it but the picture is still amazing so what's the point? Its replacement will, eventually, be an OLED though...no LCD for me.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Thanx; all of those feature you mention f... up the picture to no end indeed. They're for people who can't be @rsed to calibrate their TV because they either not interested or blind. NR in mid-position is a good compromise because the films and series I watch from a pendrive (I got no HD cable, only over-the-air) rarely are anything better than a 3-4 GB BRrip, best case scenario.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Is it in HD?

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yes.

11. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I used to have all these turned on thinking it was the best thing to do, until I started reading about them. Now all of the features mentioned are turned off.

JG

Vidiot and The Pinhead like this.
  12. I bought the last best Panasonic 60" Plasma in 2014 (the high end at the time) right and they were phasing out. The best TV I've ever owned. Love the more cinematic presentation over other TVs. More natural IMHO. There are slight burn in issues since I watch a lot of CNN and MSNBC (their big ****ing logos on the bottom right) but over all its wonderful. I don't really agree with needing to room totally dark either.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    4xoddic and alexpop like this.
  13. End of 2013/early 2014.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't watch tv.
    If I have to..I max the screen +2 to avoid Logos/burn potential problems.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'll seriously have to think of ditching all my 3D Blu Rays in a few years assuming there is no 3-D tv in the future.

16. chacha

Do the 3D Blu Rays look good? Funny, when 3D TV came out I never thought it would really catch on. Never watched one.

17. chacha

White news logos are the worst offender for burn in. I can't believe these news organizations won't screen this stuff back a bit with a softer shade. I turn on the pixel orbiter on mine when watching this stuff which helps.

18. The big Red CNN is the worst for me.

19. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I love my Panasonic plasma Viera. Really great for watching black and white movies. Deep blacks.

Burn in can be an issue if someone leaves a really bright menu on screen such as Netflix or Xbox home screens.

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Every statement wrong. Nice job there.

Oatsdad likes this.
  21. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Finally got a Betamax player. I was curious what all the fuss was about, and I finally got around to picking one up. Now I can watch movies on my own television set. It's fabulous! :righton:

Oatsdad, arley and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Good job reading the rest of the thread and seeing my other posts. :righton:

23. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

You made your opinions abundantly clear. Everything you stated was wrong. :edthumbs:

You had little to no experience with a plasma but still felt compelled to leave an amusingly erroneous post. :tsk::biglaugh:o_O

24. chacha

But people comment as they're reading the thread. They're not going to go all the way to the end before participating. It was an odd thing for me too to read such misinformation at the beginning of something like this but it did indeed clear up as it went along. Cheers. All is well.

Mazzy and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I actually say he never saw a plasma. The Panasonic plasmas were designed from the top notch engineers from the Pioneer shut down. The colors are deep, natural with blacks that are true black. Angle issues are no more ( I think better) than LCD.

The one thing with Plasma is burn in. There's a setting on penny's that automatically shake the images every so often ( too fast to see). Plus there's the zebra process that you can run ever so often.

Again this guy has never seen a plasma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.