Finally got a plasma tv.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I love my plasma.

2. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Had a mid level 50 inch Panasonic plasma that I had to get rid of before we moved to Florida 3 years ago. Miss that TV.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If you had one of the OLED 4Ks in your house, you might change your mind!

I thought my 60" Panny plasma was aces - until I got my 65" LG OLED last summer!

Larry Geller likes this.
  4. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I don't dispute your claim, but I'm not in any hurry to replace my current display.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yep. I have (what many consider to be) the best plasma ever made: Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD 60". I got the LG OLED C7 65" for another room. Sure enough the LG wins, even on 1080p material.

Larry Geller and Oatsdad like this.
  6. Oatsdad

You replace it! Replace it now! Obey me!!!! :D

DonnyMe likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

You don't have it on yours, but the LG's 3D easily beats the Panny's, too!

8. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

:laugh:

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I have two Samsung plasma TVs. I bought the first one back in November of 2008. It is my main set and gets several hours of use almost everyday. It still looks great. The second set was one of the last plasmas Samsung manufactured, and I've owned it for about four years. As it is my home-theater-only screen I expect it will last long time as well.

The thing that surprised me the most when I purchased that second Samsung plasma was the drop in weight. My older Samsung is a 58" model that weighs around 160 pounds while my newer Samsung is a 64" model that weighs well under 100 pounds.

DonnyMe likes this.
  10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I’ve had Panasonic Viera Plasma for a few years and I loved it until about 2 weeks ago. It started to shut off spontaneously after 2+ hours of viewing. It wouldn’t turn back on until it cooled off or at least until it was ready. After perusing the Internet apparently this is a Panasonic thing.

I called the Authorized Panasonic Repair Shop and I was told it would be a non-refundable $175 to get an estimate, that would be applied to the repair which could be $300-$600 depending on the nature of the problem.

I went to Best Buy and bought a 4K LG smart TV on sale for $375. The Panasonic went into the bedroom because we usually watch for less than 2hrs before drifting off to dreamland.

That said I preferred the plasma picture in absolute terms it had a velvety smoothness that is easier on the eyes. I also found the color balance to be more true and less hyped. Sort of like Kodak vs Fuji film back in the prehistoric fil camera days. Too bad Plasma lost the war.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What Viera model is it ?

12. Sneaky Pete

I’m not home now so I’d have to look, but it’s a 42”.

13. alexpop

Not your auto standby?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Plasma's were expensive, heavy, burn-in issues and energy hogs. Good riddance!

audiomixer likes this.
  15. alexpop

Great picture though.

16. Sneaky Pete

Nope.

Mines energy efficient and cool running but it is heavy.

17. snowman872

18. alexpop

I don't drive a car, what's your excuse ?

19. snowman872

Do you use Uber or Lyft?

20. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I see it's been a year since your awesome purchase. I'll assume it's still been treating you great! Other than generating a lot of heat, these give off a fine picture! :righton: My old 50" is still looking fine and I paid a hell of a lot more than you did! :D

21. Oatsdad

Weird. I used my Panny plasma a TON from January 2008 through July 2017, and I never once had that happen.

Ran the set for many hours straight often times. Crazy that yours would kick off after 2 hours! :eek:

22. Sneaky Pete

Yes I had it for about 7 years and this problem just started happening. On the other hand the first CRT TV I bought as an adult lasted 19 years.

Don’t forget I’m still using it in the bedroom. The old 32” LCD TV from the bedroom is now doing duty as a computer monitor. I use everything as long as I can before I throw in the towel. (I’m pretty cheap)

alexpop likes this.
  23. alexpop

No, shank's pony. :D

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's not just a 'Panasonic' thing. I've mentioned earlier that most vulnerable aspect of these TVs is the power supply circuit. Mostly they used 'cheap' capacitors which degrade sooner than they should. But these caps were used by many manufacturers.

I had a problem with my Samsung plasma a couple of years ago - same symptoms as yours. Finally, it would not turn on at all. Had it fixed and it's been solid ever since. I also had an old computer monitor to the same thing, but since it was quite old, I just got a new one.

I think the situation is better these days. Even computer motherboard makers advertise that they used 'premium quality Japanese caps'!

Yeah, but it will eventually stop working completely. Once the rot sets in, it doesn't get better over time. Enjoy it while you can! :)

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  25. alexpop

The old TVs you could get the repairman to come along and tinker about in the back and fix it :). Heck I remember not been able to get a good picture and hanging the aerial in odd places usually best picture just holding it in your mitts. Nightmare when a sports game was on. :D

Sneaky Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.