Finally Got One! Cd's or Lp's That Took You Years To Acquire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Malina, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Not terribly tough to find - but it took me a while to find a new copy at a reasonable price.

[​IMG]

2. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

This was 30 years ago, before every album was an Ebay search away, when you had to get lucky at a store or record show, I used to literally dream about finding a mono Beatles White album. The dreams would occur at least once every couple of months. Once I got my hands on a copy, never dreamed about it again.

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Took me friggin years to get my sweaty paws on this one, finally got it a few months ago.

[​IMG]

4. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

Took me years to find a CD of Rahsaan Roland Kirk's I Talk With Spirits, which is long out of print. I'd look for it in every record shop I visited. Last year, went into the Haight-Asbury Amoeba Music and found TWO copies. Left one there for some other damned soul to find.

kendo likes this.
  5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Today: Genesis Trick of the Tail Japan for US CD with smooth case. NM $5.

Dynamic Ranger and c-eling like this.
  6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Bambi Molesters - Dumb Loud Hollow Twang. Paid close to $80 for it - not long after, a copy in better condition showed up for $30. Now I have two. Muahaha.

There's a third copy on Discogs, also for $30. It hasn't sold in more than two months or so. I'm tempted to pick it up and have three copies of what was my holy grail back in 2014, but I don't want to be "that guy". Despite how rare this is it's apparently not worth much and nobody seems to want it but me.

Also, it wasn't years, but I'm about to come into possession of the super-rare Mike Scott/Waterboys outtakes disc Sunflowers. One of my white-whales down...

Paully likes this.
  7. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I know it's horrendous but it took me so long to find a copy of "Having Fun with Elvis On Stage". Eventually a friend aware of my plight bought me a copy, but I was still disappointed that I never found it myself...so much so that when I did, I bought another copy. I never said I was a cool guy.

8. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

finally got a complete copy of the rolling stones singles box 1968-71

twice before I found it used for a decent price only to discover it was missing the booklet (I wonder if it was the same copy but I found them at different stores in different cities in California).

I know I coulda got one online for not outrageous prices but that's no fun.

c-eling likes this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Usually it's the promo's that take me forever to track down (that aren't a car payment), this one, about a decade along with it's brother Obsession which is still on the list.
    [​IMG]

10. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

This looks interesting, thanks for posting.

The Killer likes this.
  11. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

The DADC Bruce Springsteen "Born To Run" in mint condition. Found it about 2 months ago.

12. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Roy Harper's Lifemask on CD. Finally found one at an acceptable price a year ago.

13. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the significance of this release? It looks like a cheap K-Tel record. Is there Steve Hoffman participation maybe?

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Is that the one to have?, my local thrift had a DADC stamper for a couple bucks
    My CMU Pitman manufacture sucks

15. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Apparently I now have a £100 copy for sale! :p

Seriously though - congrats! I'm assuming that's for a vinyl copy? (As opposed to the CD.) I have both editions - vinyl and CD - from back in the day.

My long term search CD was Cypress/Afoot by Let's Active. Finally tracked down both versions - the IRS original and the Collector's Choice reissue. (No apparent differences between them - except for the artwork - as it turns out.)

I already had some rare CDs from my early days of CD player ownership: Metallica's Garage Days Re-revisted, Game Theory's Lolita Nation, Klark Kent's Kollected Works, etc.

The next CD I'm hunting for is Tim Buckley's Starsailor. Not in a super hurry for that - I have a couple of different vinyl editions.

Cheers,
    Paul

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Former Scientist likes this.
  16. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

The most recent item to get crossed off my "holy grail" list is a minty CD copy of So It Seems, the only and altogether excellent album by Duet Emmo (the collaboration between Wire's Graham Lewis & Bruce Gilbert and Mute Records honcho/electronic producer/synthesizer pioneer Daniel Miller).

c-eling and 926am like this.
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Exactly. He mastered it. Out of print and hard to find.

audiomixer likes this.
  18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

For a long time, I avoided the Clash's Sandinista! due to its sprawling scope and dodgy reputation, though I knew a few of the key tracks here and there. I finally gave in and started absorbing it and now I think it's a misunderstood gem. It also let me to a greater appreciation for its successor, Combat Rock, which I'd previously written off as an uneven misfire.

Fullbug and kendo like this.
  19. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Yes. Our host made a thread about it. I have another that has quite a number of surface marks on it as well, but not one that was perfectly clean until I found the one I posted about.

Dave S and c-eling like this.
  20. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

I can think of six that I've wanted since my teen years and have since found:

John Kongos-Kongos (with "He's Gonna Step on You Again")
    Love Sculpture-Blues Helping (with original die-cut cover)
    Love Sculpture-Forms and Feelings (with "Mars")
    Warner Loss Leaders-Looney Tunes
    Beatles-the coveted white vinyl white album
    And finally, Beatles-butcher cover, second state

john lennonist and audiomixer like this.
  21. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

1. Black Sabbath UK S/T Vertigo Swirl LP
    2. Budgie NTYBOAF, original UK MCA LP
    3. Budgie In For the Kill, original UK MCA LP

22. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

fredblue likes this.
  23. progmog

progmog Senior Member

It took me years to find an original German pressing of 'Die Mensche-Machine' by Kraftwerk, pressed on red vinyl. I finally got a near-mint one for £150 a couple of years ago, which seems a lot, but is nowhere near what this one went for on eBay recently: KRAFTWERK DIE MENSCH MASCHINE 1978 MINT RED WAX | eBay

Paully, GentleSenator and c-eling like this.
  24. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Not so much an album. But a specific track. Early '90's I went to a couple of concerts of the Dutch band The Serenes. I was very impressed by one song which didn't appear on their albums. Took me fifteen years before I discovered this track was called White Man's Grave and was an extra on a cd-single.

adriatikfan likes this.
  25. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Going back to the late 80's / early 90's (pre-internet), it took me close to two years to track this down. Oddly enough, I found it at a small independent record shop in NYC that primarily specialized in Jazz. The owner of the store took pity on me after seeing me in there several times and asked me what I was looking for. He made a call to a friend, and the next week I was in there he had it waiting for me. After all that trouble, I don't even have it anymore.

[​IMG]

Fullbug, GentleSenator and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.