Finally Got One! Cd's or Lp's That Took You Years To Acquire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Malina, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Dave for the added info, didn't think it was going to be that easy, i'll check next time I'm in :)
    Makes sense. The later CMU times at 39:28

2. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

In the pre-eBay 90's:

Screaming Blue Messiahs- Bikini Red. Took years to find a CD copy. Put a request in at a Used CD shop. 3 years later I got a call. $3.

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Two of the most difficult to obtain CDs for me were James Wilsey- El Dorado and The Woody Herman Band - Chick, Donald, Walter and Woodrow.

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I wasted a large chunk of a 1993 trip to the UK looking for a CD of Peter Blegvad's album "King Strut and Other Stories"... it was only three years old at the time but the label had gone out of business and the album was an obscurity, with only the participation of XTC's Andy Partridge to bring it to anyone's attention. So there were no copies to be found, new or used, even at London's biggest stores. I finally found a cassette of it, in a small store in Cambridge, randomly, and reluctantly settled for that (I'd only heard the album on a very poor cassette dub so even a factory cassette was a step up).

Some 15 years later, long after I had given up finding it (and well after I could have bought it through Amazon or some other online retailer, if I were still interested), I happened across a copy in a used store right here in Vancouver. Though it wasn't an original pressing; somebody had recently re-released it. I couldn't believe it.

And I've probably listened to that CD twice! But it's nice to have it.

Kristofa likes this.
  5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Original UK Mono "Something Else by the Kinks"

I searched (online) for many years until I could find one that I could afford.

It's not in (anywhere near) perfect shape, but it plays pretty well.

6. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Bootleg Series 8 - Tell Tale Signs - finally almost 9 years until I bought it on vinyl last week.....

Spadeygrove likes this.
  7. John54

John54 Senior Member

I heard Charlotte Brown by Ivar Avenue Reunion on the radio in 1969 and didn't find the LP until 1980 or 1981.

8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Pink Floyds' "The Early Years" came out in November of 2016, less than *ONE* year ago . . . :confused:

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Had a few gift cards from last Christmas to absorb the large cost. I finally found three of the gift cards last May in a folder in my closet. Than went and bought Floyd big box .

10. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

A Flock of Seagulls' discography. They're not really hard to find, though copies of the originals for less than $15 aren't too common. The only one that I had to get a remaster for is Story of a Young Heart. For that album, I had to get Cherry Pop's remaster, and they seem to have a bad track record when it comes to sound quality.

11. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

I had a similar situation with Invisible Touch a few years back. Made in Japan with a smooth case, just as your Trick of the Tail CD.
    Needless to say, I was stunned to find it! It's never leaving my collection now.:D

Wally Swift likes this.
  12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The American vinyl pressing of Manic Street Preachers' Generation Terrorists, which is very different from the UK. I looked extremely hard before I found it.

BadJack likes this.
  13. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

14. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Tool's Aenima on vinyl. I think I've bid on this album 20 times over the past 5 year on eBay. Finally won an auction. I think I won it because the seller mentioned that there was audible crackling. Well, there is. But it's on the track Useful Idiot, that is Tool's little joke. The track is nothing but recorded surface noise and crackling. They even locked the groove, so it would be even more annoying.

kouzie likes this.
  15. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

Funny story about this box. When it first came out I was a very casual Miles fan (unlike now ). A friend of mine somehow found a website (can't remember who it was) that was selling it for $15 since I think they had it mislabeled as a single disc. A few of us ordered it and mine is the only one that actually shipped. Been loving it ever since.
    A smilar thing happened with the big Charley Patton cd box set a few years later!

alamo54us likes this.
  16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Top of my want list was an obscure New Orleans party album, "Let's Have a Blast With the Goldoliers!" The only album ever released on the legendary Ric label, includes a bunch of the great players from that era. it's basically the New Orleans version of a drunk/dumb frat party recoprd from 1960-- Can't go wrong with that. There were only ever a few hundred copies. Searched for years, a copy finally turned up on Ebay. I grabbed it for $40 because let's face it, not many people want it.

Includes "My Ding a Ling", about 12 years before Chuck Berry wrote it:

phillyal1 likes this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

took years of looking and searching to get this:
    [​IMG]

18. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Ditto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.